Alright, now I'm getting better at playing faster runs etc. However, I came across this speed run and I don't know how I should approach it.

Now, it's only the start of the run, I just wish to know what you think is the correct fingering for the most ease for speed picking. Here's the first two triplets:

A|-----------12-14-15--|
E|--12-13-15-----------|

Now, how am I to finger that? Do I use my 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers for both lines, or do I alternate from 1st, 2nd and 4th on the E string to 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the A string?

Thanks for the help.

I could guess it's probably preference, but I'd like to hear what you think.

EDIT: I really messed up what I was trying to say with the finger placements. I corrected it, though.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Last edited by Smokey Amp at Aug 13, 2006,
I would play it with my 1st, 2nd and 4th on the E and then 1st, 3rd and 4th on the A. That applies the "1 finger for fret" rule. I think that's the easiest way to play it.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
^What Baba said
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
I'd play both with my 1-3 fingers, but I'm cheap... whatever that means.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association

A|-----------12-14-15--|
E|--12-13-15-----------|
    I  M  P  I  R  P

I - Index finger.
M - Middle finger.
R - Ring finger.
P - Pinky.

That's how I'd approach it.

Dave, it's 5am. Why aren't you sleeping!?
Quote by Johnljones7443

A|-----------12-14-15--|
E|--12-13-15-----------|
I M P I R P

I - Index finger.
M - Middle finger.
R - Ring finger.
P - Pinky.

That's how I'd approach it.

Dave, it's 5am. Why aren't you sleeping!?

Yes, I'm practicing it like that now. My fingers often get confused though, but I'll work it out.

I'm not asleep because I'm once again sleeping stupid hours. It's the holidays, so it doesn't really matter.

I had trouble with that to start with... switching from IMP to IRP in a pattern, I'd sometimes mix them up and get confused... if your fingers are getting confused, you're not playing it slow enough. The whole purpose of practicing them slow is so your fingers know exactly where to go and exactly when to go.

And same here. I plan to stay up all day, didn't get up till 4pm - so meh.
Quote by Johnljones7443
I had trouble with that to start with... switching from IMP to IRP in a pattern, I'd sometimes mix them up and get confused... if your fingers are getting confused, you're not playing it slow enough. The whole purpose of practicing them slow is so your fingers know exactly where to go and exactly when to go.

And same here. I plan to stay up all day, didn't get up till 4pm - so meh.

Yeah, well when I play it very slowly, they rarely get confused. I think the main problem is when I'm playing fast, I don't use my pinky as much as I do with the other three. Well, apart from when I do the 5 fret stretches for runs like in the Glasgow Kiss solo, and some other instances. I'm working on it though.

i love playing runs like this!! first of all, just because i love them, could you post the run you're talking about? the only thing i have to say in addition to what everyone said is to be careful when dividing runs into sections. oftentimes you forget how you will transition... for instance, if the run continues up the neck, maybe sliding would be a better choice. so on the B and C, slide your ring finger instead of hammering with the pinky. this just moves your hand further up the neck possibly making the next section of the run more fluent. anyway, if you could post the run that'd be spectacular
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station
Quote by benjonotbanjo
i love playing runs like this!! first of all, just because i love them, could you post the run you're talking about? the only thing i have to say in addition to what everyone said is to be careful when dividing runs into sections. oftentimes you forget how you will transition... for instance, if the run continues up the neck, maybe sliding would be a better choice. so on the B and C, slide your ring finger instead of hammering with the pinky. this just moves your hand further up the neck possibly making the next section of the run more fluent. anyway, if you could post the run that'd be spectacular

E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------19-20-22-|
B|----------------------------------------------------------------17-18-20-18-20-22----------|
G|----------------------------------------------16-17-18-17-19-21----------------------------|
D|----------------------------14-15-17-15-17-19----------------------------------------------|
A|----------12-14-15-14-15-17----------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-12-13-15----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Tada. Have fun with it.

whats that run from?
Quote by 6WS
haha, that is going to be the biggest p*ssy magnet since the keyboard neck tie.