Antone else have this problem? The band Im in never really seems to take the music as seriously as they need to. All of the band memebers are friends for the most part, which is awesome, but it seems to hold us back. Also, we usually spend most of our time figuring out things in our music that we could have done between practices. Im the drummer, so there isnt much I can to do to help the band progress with our music if no one else is doing anything. Has anyone else dealt with this kind of thing before? Im ok with just jamming and stuff for fun now, but it would be cool to do something serious and start doing gigs and stuff. Help?
two things:
just because you're the drummer doesn't mean you can't lead the band. take charge adn try to lead things in the right direction, the drummer has an important role to play in arranging and constructing the song.

and if this band isn't serious enough for you, you probably won't have much trouble finding something else. dedicated drummers are generally in short supply.
Well... my band doesn't take anything seriously except the music. And that's good. You should remember that you're doing this because you enjoy it, not because you're trying to get somewhere. That should come second. However, part of enjoying it comes from progressing, and not doing the same thing all the time. You're supposed to grow and sometimes the best way to do that is to get out and perform... and the pressure of having a gig looming is enough to make any band member want to buckle down, because nobody wants to be embarassed.

First, I'd sit down with the band and talk to them. First, start by telling them that you want to take it to the next step and actually play some public appearances. If they agree, then make sure they understand that playing in public requires more work and more dedication, but it's also got a lot of good payoffs (groupies anyone? plus moneys, and exposure, and it's fun as hell). Make sure they know that band practices will change from friends getting together and jamming, to bandmates getting together and actually practicing and progressing and getting things done. And make sure that they know that they'll be expected to do some homework, know their parts back to front BEFORE they get to practice.

If they don't want to public shows, and you REALLY do, I'd go ahead and leave em for another band. A good, dedicated, smart drummer is a nice commodity to have, and unfortunately it's not easy to come by.

Godspeed mate!
Quote by nOtReGiStErEd

and if this band isn't serious enough for you, you probably won't have much trouble finding something else. dedicated drummers are generally in short supply.

amen to that. in almost every band I've been in (and I've been in far too many), the drummer always seems to be the one to be late all the time or just ditch us all together.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
While drummers could lead a band I think they generally don't know as much about theory etc. so when the band is trying to figure out chord progressions etc. the drummer just sits there and listens to them and as a result gets bored. Maybe you could suggest that they have some sessions without you so that they can figure out all the parts.
Quote by Hi9
amen to that. in almost every band I've been in (and I've been in far too many), the drummer always seems to be the one to be late all the time or just ditch us all together.

Yeah, well were playing at my place cause Im the one with the drumset (and Im not driving it back and forth to practice) so Im the one who organizes practices and everything most of the time.
While drummers could lead a band I think they generally don't know as much about theory etc. so when the band is trying to figure out chord progressions etc. the drummer just sits there and listens to them and as a result gets bored. Maybe you could suggest that they have some sessions without you so that they can figure out all the parts.

Thats why Im learning guitar
Quote by bmw8719

My drummer has the second most musical input of my band, while I have the most because I'm the one writing all of the music. It's usually him and I that work together on new material and just show it to the bass player and lead singer when we all practice. Then, we go through it and work out what we want to keep and what we want to change.

Just because you're the drummer shouldn't mean that you shouldn't have any ideas about the music. It's your ass in that band, too. If something doesn't sound good to you, then let your bandmates know. If they value your position in the band, they'll at least listen to what you have to say. You should be able to work out some sort of compromise. That's only fair.
There was this one band in my area who didn't have any songs. Every gig they played at, everything was improvised. They would ask someone in the audience to yell out a phrase and that would be the name of the song. That's why they had songs like "Chicken Sandwich" & "_________ is a pedophile." Did I mention they considered theirselves Improv Comedy Death Metal?

Needless to say, they weren't a band for that long. I would post their myspace, but it looks like they took their mp3s down.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by Hi9

Thats true. My "band" practices at our drummers house and he is the last one to show up, always.

Its "band" because nobody but me has any drive to do anything so I write everything, get practices together, and all of that crap. There are a lot of lazy musicians out there.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
You could just be like NoFx and not take anything seriously and still be good....kinda
Quote by FaDe2bLaCk242
You could just be like NoFx and not take anything seriously and still be good....kinda

You have to be really lucky or know lots of the right people to do that... otherwise, you have to work your ass off.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
Dude i know exactly what you mean. ive already been in 2 bands like that. Mystery And The Black Blades. Both the drummers never wanted to come to practice. So heres a tip from me. Try to find somebody whos into playing the music and whos had a few lessons before. and if they're dedicated enough, ask them if they wanna make a band together. kinda like asking a chick to marry you. except kinda different, but you get my point.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.