Ok, I've been thinking about upgrading to a Peavey Valveking 112 from my MG50DFX. I can get what I paid (or close to it) for my MG in trade-in. So, basically $25 plus whatever the pedal for the valveking costs will be my total expense to upgrade.

I've heard good and bad things about the valveking, so I don't really know what to think. From the sound clips I've heard it sounds pretty nice. Especially for $400.

I'm looking at using this as my main amp for a long time. I bought the MG stupidly trusting the Marshall name, and now I'm not liking the MG so much. I don't want to be in the same situation a few months from now with the Valveking. I want to at least get a few good years of use from it.

I play pretty much everything except metal, classical, and country. Will the Valveking be good enough for pretty much everything else? I rarely use tons of distortion - if ever. I would definetly be planning on recording and possibly gigging with the Valveking. Would it be ok for both of those?

So, should I go for the Valveking, and then focus on the rest of my gear (guitars, effects) Or should I just wait and get a different more expensive tube amp in 6 months - a year?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
People here may hate me for saying this, but I'd wait until you can get THE tube amp that you want.

I was in the same boat as you. In fact, I still have my MG50. But I just kept it and waited, now I have a Super Reverb RI. Got it used for half price.

So basically, wait and get the amp you really want, or you'll be left disappointed and wondering.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
I dunno man, if I could have, I would have traded my MG100DFX back in for the new price on any tube amp in a second. I grew to hate that thing.

here's how I look at it, how much are you going to be able to sell that MG50 for, as opposed to the Valveking? You're going to want to sell what you have now when you upgrade anyway, and this place is basically giving you a straight up trade for the price new. I didn't think the VK sounded too bad personally, much better than than my MG.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I probably wouldn't sell the Valveking if I would get it. It would most likely be my permanent practice amp.

The MG, on the other hand, won't be able to get full trade in forever. The store I bought it from would be where I'd have to get the Valveking from, and then do the trade. They told me when I bought the amp that as long as I kept it in good condition, I could get close to full price for trade in. I'd like to get that full trade in before something breaks down on the MG and I can't get anything for it.

Also, would there be any better choices in the same price range (~$400)? I'd prefer it to be around 50w and obviously a combo.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I don't know man, I haven't researched a lot in that pricerange, but the VK seemed like a big bang for your buck amp. I've heard metalheads complain about it, but that's not what you're looking for out of it. I think with a few pedals, like an OD, delay, chorus and wah, you could get some great sounds out of it. I would say go used, but then you would have to sell the MG50, and I think you would get raped compared to what this place is giving you on a trade-in.

When you say other amps in that pricerange, is that also contingent on what that store has, or can you actually get cash back on the amp. If not, what kind of stuff do they have in that pricerange?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Basically the store ONLY sells Marshall amps. They have a few smaller AVT's and one AVT 150w halfstack, MG's ranging in size from 15w to the 100w halfstack, an old Marshall stack from the 70's (not sure if it's for sale), and I believe one JCM head.

They don't have any other amp brands at all except for the few small random practice amps that get traded in now and then.

The owner of the store told me he could order other stuff in if I couldn't get it otherwise, so there's a decent chance that I could get pretty much anything.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
hmm, yeah, if it's not used, the JCM is probably WAY out of your pricerange I take it. That might be something to save for though if it is. The stack must be really nice, plexi maybe. I would love to crank that thing, haha. not so helpfull,

So really, you have to buy it to get it to the store then, you can't try them out. Yeah, that's tough. Well what are you really after then, a lot of very good tones, or a few excellent ones. There really is nothing like a tube amp, but you really have to crank it to see that difference. At low volumes, like bedroom levels, the difference is nowhere near as apparant.

I personally think they VK sounded way better than my MG at even low volumes, but that's a personal thing you would have to hear for yourself I think. If you wanted just a few tones, or your own tone, I would go with something like the VK. It's got about enough power to gig with though, so I don't know about it as a practice amp, it's going to be LOUD.

If you want a lot of tones, have you looked at the Vox AD series of amps. It's hybrid not a real tube amp, but it sounds a lot better than the MG, it's a definite upgrade, especially if you aren't a metalhead. It's really hard to recommend stuff though, since you have no way of trying it.

oh, and btw, a few decent pedal effects will kill the ones on the MG, not only in quality, but in the ways you can use them. I hated how limited the settings were, and what you could use together.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 13, 2006,
Yes, I've tried to Vox Valvetronix line (the lower end ones) and I didn't like them. I actually chose the MG over the Vox.

And really right now I'm just looking for something that I'll be able to find my sound with and still be able to get different tones from other artists. The MG is *ok* for practice, but it doesn't have much variation in sound. Yes, you can twist the knobs for hours tweaking it, but still, you can only get so much from it.

As for the volume, I don't mind if it's a bit loud. I want something I can not only use for practicing on my own, but also band practice and small gigs.

I checked the Peavey website and it showed that there is a Peavey dealer near me. I'll check to see if they have any valvekings in this week and try it out. If they don't have any, I'd have to order just from soundclips and other people's recommendations.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
And yes, I know pedals would kill the MG effects. I'm looking into buying some pedals as well. The ones I pick will depend on my amp though, so i have to get this sorted out first.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
yeah, that would be great if you can find one. I actually think you will like it, but it's probably going to be a little tricky to EQ at first. I would check out a manual beforehand on their site, and get an idea of what they use in their sample settings, maybe even write it down. I've found it's pretty easy to get a good tone right off the bat with amps by using their settings and just tweaking them a little to your taste. I would also try a couple pedals with it if you can. It should take pedals much better than the MG or Vox, since it's not trying to make it's own fx. The nice thing about pedals too, if you ever decided you want to upgrade, they come with you. nothing beats a real overdrive in front of a tube amp.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 13, 2006,
^Ok. Great to know!

I'm glad to hear it will take effects better, as I'm looking at getting quite a few. That's good news to me. I'll go look at the manual now and see what all is in it.

Thanks for all the help and advice!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar