Hey what's the difference between the sound of a Marshall TSL100 and a Mesa Triple Rect, both are all tube right? How come my marshall sounds crapper than the Mesa? Also for Marshall's are you supposed to turn down the "bass" and "mid" to get a better tone? Cause for some reason my tone sucks, I'm using a gibby les paul std. with a tsl100.
And I don't stand a chance against the monsters that my mind creates.
The rectifier uses 6l6's and the marshall uses el34's. Marshall =Bright, Mesa = Dark. These two amps are completely different, you can't compare the two. If you want your tone to sound like a mesa, sell your your amp and get one. Edit: If you want the typical Metal sound turn the bass and treble up and turn the mids down, maybe that will help. The TSL is a good amp so you shouldn't have a bad tone. Spend some time with it and figure it out. If you really end up hating it get the Mesa, I f*****G love mine.
CLICK HERE to see my rig
Mesa Dual Rectifier
4x12 Recto Standard
H&K 1x12 Switchblade
Flextone 3 XL
PRS Custom 22 Ten Top
ESP EC-1000
Shecter Gryphon w/ Emg 85/81
Ibanez AEF37
EHX small clone/ holy grail
BBE Sonic maximizer
Boss DD6
Last edited by SACRAMETAL at Aug 13, 2006,
Wait...so you can't figure out how to get a good tone with a Marshall TSL100 and a Gibson Les Paul Standard?

I can pull an "ok" tone from my MG. I can't image what I could do with a TSL100, but I'm sure it would sound amazing. If you can't figure it out, I honestly don't know what to say. You have ~$4000 of gear and don't know how to use it.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Dude if you can't get a good tone from that then just give it to me.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
They're both different amps. You don't stick some tubes in a box and call it an amp.

Tone comes from the fingers.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
I can get a good tone outta the les paul but the amp is quite a puzzle. It's got the "deep" and "mid scoop" buttons that effect a lot of the tone, so I don't know if I should be having both on, one on, or whatever. I'm trying to get this kind of tone, so I'm guessing I use: 3rd channel lead, high treble (about 8?) , about 6 on presence, use the "mid scoop" key and use the "deep" key or how should it be, like is he using no mids/bass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en_VVPqIUnU
On my TSL, I always have the deep switch on to give it more balls. When I want a more metal sound, I put the Bass at 7, Mids at 2, and Treble at 8 with the presence at 3 and the mid scoop on. Gain is at 9 or so, and I also use a compressor for a gain boost. You can easily acheive a metal tone with those settings. For a hard rock or punk tone, I take the mid scoop off, put the bass at 6, mids at 6 and treble at 7 and the presence at 5. Everybody says you can't get a recto sound out of a Marshall, and that's pretty much bull****. You can get pretty close if you know what you're doing with the EQ and such.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by xifr
They're both different amps. You don't stick some tubes in a box and call it an amp.

aye. they'll sound different, surprisingly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ best answer in here ^^^ lol
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by SACRAMETAL
Marshall =Bright, Mesa = Dark

wrong. i can get dark ass ****ing tones out of my jcm900. easy as hell.

(select) marshalls can do all, just as good as other amp, be it dark or bright.

i put (select) marshalls in a seperate class that suits them better: omnibadass tone.
You might be able to get dark, but you're not going to get the full girth and definitely not the low end response of a recto....

Just mess with the EQ....there is no right or wrong way.....play, and start tweaking till you find a tone that works for you! A Real musician has to be able to dial in a nice tone, not just play, so start working at it!
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
You might be able to get dark, but you're not going to get the full girth and definitely not the low end response of a recto....

i guess i tried a faulty dual, cause it was nice and all, but the marshall had more balls and a much bigger sound that the recto.
both cranked, marshall with 2x12, recto 4x12, the marshall sounded more girthy.

hated the low end. yes, it probably is the amp with the most low end, but at that point, theres just so much bass that it sounds bad. again, maybe a faulty one
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!

Just mess with the EQ....there is no right or wrong way.....play, and start tweaking till you find a tone that works for you! A Real musician has to be able to dial in a nice tone, not just play, so start working at it!

Are you kidding? When was the last time you used a TSL? You can get so much low end that it's ridiculous. **** used to fall of my shelves when I'd chug a palm mute on volume of 4. 1960 cabs also put out tons of bass. There's no lack of it, believe me. And really, why do you want more bass than that anyway? In a live situation, it's not gonna matter. All that bass isn't gonna cut through the mix. No offense or anything, but based on those clips you submitted, maybe you should learn to EQ and use a Dual before you make comments.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Whats the difference between Mesa and Marshall? Night and Day. Fire and Ice. Spongebob and the Red Power Ranger.

You get the point
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Whats the difference between Mesa and Marshall? Night and Day. Fire and Ice. Spongebob and the Red Power Ranger.

You get the point

The only problem with that argument is that new Marshalls aren't real Marshalls. They're higher gain and modern sounding. They're not classic Marshalls and use much more preamp distortion.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
^ it wasnt an argument lol its the way it is. Marshalls, ANY tube Marshall-new or old-, has that "Marshall sound". Its present in all tube Marshalls, you cant really describe it...its just 'that sound'. Ya know?

What we're saying here in this thread is 'Whats the difference between Marshalls (in general) and Mesas (in general)?"
And the answer would be that (generally) Marshalls have a more present mid/upper midrange while Mesas tend to aim at the low end and the lower-midrange. So the difference in sound between the two are like night and day.
i dont think your set sounds great because your trying to go into dark metal with your tsl. the tsl wasnt built for that stuff. on my tsl nomatter what i do its not that great when i do dark metal with it, so i just stick to bright metal with my maxon od-9.
man who cares about metal. if you have a les paul and a tube marshall, just crank the balls out of it and hit play some zeppelin
JAMONE
Quote by kurdtkobaign
^ it wasnt an argument lol its the way it is. Marshalls, ANY tube Marshall-new or old-, has that "Marshall sound". Its present in all tube Marshalls, you cant really describe it...its just 'that sound'. Ya know?

What we're saying here in this thread is 'Whats the difference between Marshalls (in general) and Mesas (in general)?"
And the answer would be that (generally) Marshalls have a more present mid/upper midrange while Mesas tend to aim at the low end and the lower-midrange. So the difference in sound between the two are like night and day.

There is no comparison between the sound of a TSL and an 800. They're totally different and their sound is not made the same way. You don't need to crank 2000's to gain high gain sounds. You can get loads more distortion out of them at high volumes. It's hard to get a true Marshall sound out of a TSL.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Yep, the Marshalls are miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddyyy amps........

Mesas are............................... rib crushin and tummy poundin low mid end.........

I prefer the Mesa though......... more girth !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by STPGuitar311
On my TSL, I always have the deep switch on to give it more balls. When I want a more metal sound, I put the Bass at 7, Mids at 2, and Treble at 8 with the presence at 3 and the mid scoop on. Gain is at 9 or so, and I also use a compressor for a gain boost. You can easily acheive a metal tone with those settings. For a hard rock or punk tone, I take the mid scoop off, put the bass at 6, mids at 6 and treble at 7 and the presence at 5. Everybody says you can't get a recto sound out of a Marshall, and that's pretty much bull****. You can get pretty close if you know what you're doing with the EQ and such.

Thanks so much man. I've been getting frustrated with my TSL, EQing for hours on end. Thanks for providing me with the settings, much appreciated. If there was a rep system on here, I'd rep you
Quote by STPGuitar311
There is no comparison between the sound of a TSL and an 800. They're totally different and their sound is not made the same way. You don't need to crank 2000's to gain high gain sounds. You can get loads more distortion out of them at high volumes. It's hard to get a true Marshall sound out of a TSL.

you're ignorant. regardless marshalls still sound like marshalls. the end.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Yeah man !! It's those mids......... I still love teh Marshall tone though

Rock music wouldn't have reached the surface if not for that tone........

Keep the faith, baby!!
if you are looking for a larger lower end try not playing through a standard 1960(a or b)
Quote by joel_grieve
you're ignorant. regardless marshalls still sound like marshalls. the end.

How do you figure? If you scoop all the mids out and boost the bass and treble, it doesn't sound like a classic Marshall. JCM 900's and earlier are the true Marshall sound. They have one distinct sound. The newer ones are much more versatile, especially since they have a bass boost/mid scoop. They're not the one trick ponies they used to be. On an 800, there's only so much you can do to change the tone, and even if you play with the EQ, you're not gonna get much of a difference in your tone. With a TSL, you can go from a balls to the wall scooped metal tone to a warm blues tone easily. Not to mention good cleans. When I think of a real Marshall, it's a one channel amp that the more you crank the better it sounds as you get more power tube saturation. The new and old Marshalls are two different animals.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by The Lost Within
Thanks so much man. I've been getting frustrated with my TSL, EQing for hours on end. Thanks for providing me with the settings, much appreciated. If there was a rep system on here, I'd rep you

No problem man.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by STPGuitar311
How do you figure? If you scoop all the mids out and boost the bass and treble, it doesn't sound like a classic Marshall. JCM 900's and earlier are the true Marshall sound. They have one distinct sound. The newer ones are much more versatile, especially since they have a bass boost/mid scoop. They're not the one trick ponies they used to be. On an 800, there's only so much you can do to change the tone, and even if you play with the EQ, you're not gonna get much of a difference in your tone. With a TSL, you can go from a balls to the wall scooped metal tone to a warm blues tone easily. Not to mention good cleans. When I think of a real Marshall, it's a one channel amp that the more you crank the better it sounds as you get more power tube saturation. The new and old Marshalls are two different animals.

New Marshalls are made to be Marshalls. Its the USER that makes them sound otherwise, more modern and stuff. But still in the end no matter what you do they still have a trace of that distinct Marshall sound.

And people, if you noticed, I used the term "IN GENERAL" a lot.
Quote by Supern00b
why does everyone say "girth"?

i say "lard", or my amp has a lot of "turd"

My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal
Quote by jpetrucci5655
wrong. i can get dark ass ****ing tones out of my jcm900. easy as hell.

Of course you can, but the amps are voiced differently. Rectifiers have an inherently "darker" tone than does a Marshall. You can turn the bass up on the TSL, or down on the Triple Rectifier, but it's not going to change the voicing of the amp.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I just got a cheap OD pedal for my TSL the other day and it helped heaps. Much better for metal stuff now. At first I didn't notice a lot of difference but after playing a whole stack of different stuff everything just sounds more metal. It is a little brighter but the lows are still there and can be accessed with some EQing but everything is tighter now, the little bit of 'muddiness' that was there before that did bother me when I tried for a metal kinda sound is totally gone. I'd truly love a Mesa but I simply didn't wanna pay that kinda money for an amp to jam with mates.
traeager, perhaps you should change your pickups for a metal tone, I've triead the TSL601 before, and its good enough for metal with the pregain dimed and volume around 12 - 1 o'clock !!!

I played it through a duncan jb4 !!

Anyway, both are good amps (the Trip Rect slightly better), but they're different, just don't get the Trip if you wanna play Hendrix, or the TSL when you're planning to do some Meshuggah !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
as so said in may replys marshalls arent for the brutal metal tone... leave thodse to the mesas.... i got the jcm2000 and it does wonders for me, i just run an od pedal through it to give it more omft. id rather the mesas coz im into the metal thing... but im loving my amp
Most metal guitar players try to boost their mids don't they? Why is everyone saying to turn them down?
Metal players usually 'scoop' the mids...another words turn them down while keeping the bass and treble high. Then again, the metal amps back in the day were Marshalls, which are obviously a mid-range based amp. Now days I would advise NOT scooping the mids nearly as much with modern high gain amps such as the 6505 or Rectifiers. Most modern high gain amps are dark enough as it is. My Triple's mids on channel 3 are at 12:30 (o'clock). The mids on my JCM900 are at about 10 o'clock when Im playing heavy stuff...and the sound in both is generally the same. Which goes to show how mid based the Marshall is and how dark the Mesa is.
Quote by xifr

Stop saying that. You articulate the notes with your fingers, tone comes from the gear. No amount of "fingering" is going to make a Marshall sound like a Mesa.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
It seems like this thread is full of a lot of noobs who try to say more than they actually know....

Marshall is Marshall

Mesa is Mesa

Sure, they can can tailored to enter in each other's territories, like any amp can, but naturally, each amp has it's own characteristics.

And please don't EVER try to tell me a Marshall has more bass than a Mesa....NEVER.....
^ I was so used to my JCM900 and keeping the bass at around 3 o'clock. The bass on my Mesa is set to 11 o'clock...and it still has more bass than the 900 EVER had. (although I did just put Mesa EL-34s in my JCM900 which gave it a helluva lot more bass...)