Someone for the life of me tell me a way to figure out what knob does what on my agile 2000. There are four knobs and a three way switch. Two humbuckers.

I want to know specifically whether a knob is for the bridge or neck pickup.

There is no master volume is there?

When either of the two knobs closest to the neck are in the 0 position, there is NO sound at all. This leads me to believe that one of my pickups isn't wired correctly/ isnt producing any sound.
Last edited by Naregnemyes at Aug 13, 2006,
Hmm, to quote that

knobs
1 makes you play faster (near headstock, top)
1 makes you sound like jimmy page (near headstock, bottom)
1 makes you play cleaner (near bridge, top)
1 makes you sound like Hermit Li (near bridge, bottom)

And the 3 way switch:
3 styles:
Noob, intermediate and advanced.

2 humbuckers: 1 for bucking hum and the other for hum bucking.
Quote by Invictious
Hmm, to quote that

knobs

And the 3 way switch:
3 styles:

That may be funny to the average 14 year old on this forum but I am a 19 and know how to play already. This is my first electric.
I'm guessing its volume + tone for each pickup, and the 3 way switch is the pickup selector.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
k... ummm the 2 bottom ones are for the bridge, two top ones are for the neck, ones for tone, ones for volume
^this guy is correct. Usually the volume is to your left (if youre looking down on yoru guitar, and if you are a right handed player), and the one closest to the right is usually for tone.

You can easily figure out what is what by turning all the knobs off. Swithc you selecter pickup to the bridge, and turn each one on and off. Tone doesnt work unless the volume is on. You can only turn up the volume and make it work if the three way selecter is on the right pickup. So you find the volume for the bridge right? now turn the other three knobs, find out which one makes the sound of the bridge pickup change (from trebly to bassy mellow), thats the tone for the bridge, then repeat with the neck pickup. Its easy, process of elimination.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
down on the switch is treble, up is rhythm, so you switch between both pick ups...
the middle uses both humbuckers...
and try the knobs...one is for tone, one for volume
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
If someone could tell me a way to figure it out myself instead of just telling me it would be nice.

Example: Wave a magnet over a pickup with two of the knobs at 0, if theres noise in the amp the two knobs not at 0 are for that pickup

^that was just imaginary. I already tried a magnet, didnt work ;P

Anyone got any methods?

Edit by actually touching the humbuckers with a pickup i was able to tell which humbucker was recieving volume with which knob. - BUT

For some reason with the pickup selector in neutral, turning down the volume on one humbucker to 0 causes the other one to not produce sound at all either, like a master volume.
Last edited by Naregnemyes at Aug 13, 2006,

EDIT: Its wierd if the tone know is all the way down and theres no sound but the vol. one isnt....are you sure you havent tried the volume up and the tone down (use diagram)
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Jmit metallica, Mine is different.

WHEN LOOKING DOWN AT THE GUITAR ON MY LAP.
The top left is volume for bridge pickup.
Bottom left is volume for neck pickup.
And the other two knobs - I cant friggin tell a difference in tone when adjusting them, maybe they werent wired properly?

Also, any answers to:

For some reason with the pickup selector in neutral, turning down the volume on one humbucker to 0 causes the other one to not produce sound at all either, like a master volume.

?
well...maybe (if the guitars not too expensive, im not too up on agile pricing and model nos), only one of the tones does something, like my friends strat copy, only 1 tone worked but it had 2 to look like a real strat? maybe? dunno....
--
Really, I don't like anything more than 2 knobs, it gets all complicated and if you mess up a bit, good bye when you change the pickups.
But J.Mitmetallica has got the nail right on the head, but I don't suggest touching more than 2 knobs though.
I dont really know if you understood my question, with the 3 way in the middle, I can not turn the volume knob for either pickup down to 0 or I hear NO sound at all.

For example I would think that with the three way in the middle and bridge pickup at 10, neck at 0 i would have the same sound i do at threeway in treble/neck at 0/bridge 10.

but i dont, I get NO sound.
hmm....sounds like dodgy wiring perhaps, unless you are supposed to have both at some volume level to get sound, but that sounds silly......
--
Yea, I have wondered that too, because theoretically, the middle means using both humbuckers, if you roll one knob to 0, then there should be the sound of 1 humbucker./

it's probably the way on how it's wired, not sure on that though, but everytime I try that in a GC, it's silence.
It's wired that way. By moving one wire you can have separate volumes with switch on in the middle.

Don't worry, it's not broken.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
It's wired that way. By moving one wire you can have separate volumes with switch on in the middle.

Don't worry, it's not broken.

I am going to quote you on that, because if it IS broken, the tooth fairy is going to make you rich tonight.
Quote by Invictious
Hmm, to quote that

knobs

And the 3 way switch:
3 styles:

You misspelled Herman Li's name. That's horrible!
Quote by Invictious
I am going to quote you on that, because if it IS broken, the tooth fairy is going to make you rich tonight.

You're on and make sure YOUR tooth fairy are generous.

Anyway, it's normal but I don't know why they wire them like that. I rewired mine (when I put in emgs) so both pups runs on ONE volume and ONE tone knobs.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
You're on and make sure YOUR tooth fairy are generous.

Anyway, it's normal but I don't know why they wire them like that. I rewired mine (when I put in emgs) so both pups runs on ONE volume and ONE tone knobs.

5% interest per month, you owe me, bud

You might want to rewire the pickups if you want to use both pickups, but when you are switching pickups, it will be really unsmooth because there will be a sudden volume boost for a small moment unless you mute everything.

BUT at least you can boost your volume when needed, get a pro to rewire it, well that's what I would say because I am not sure on how it's wired.
The way I wired mine, there's no difference in volume. When I use the switch you'll hear a tone change but the volume's the same. I have emg 81 and 60 which are a nice combo.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+