I've done some reading and it sounds like this is about the best guitar I can get for the money, especially if I want a guitar that sounds anything like Slash.

While looking at a few guitars on ebay, I've noticed there are different models, such as studio, custom, standard, etc. It appears that the models fitting the price range I'm looking to stay in are the custom and standard. What I'm curious about is if they labeled each as custom or standard on the neck as I've seen a few auction where they're listed as a "standard" or "custom", but it's not showing up on the neck like some of the other auctions do.

Is there an easy way to educate myself on this as I don't want to be in a situation where I buy a guitar expecting it to be a standard or a custom, only for it not to be what I expected.

Thanks!
well the custom have a diamond logo on the headstock which ill post in a second, (1 sec please)

note this is a zakk wylde model, but all customs have that inlay
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
as opposed to
--
No it's not.

Anyway, get the Standard. Customs are tonally the same, it's just the paint you're paying more for.
well its not, unless someone has 'customised' it, in which case its not a "Les Paul Custom", its a "Les Paul (customised)". LIARS ON EBAY GRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
--
I have a custom and it has custom written on the headstock, i think in the listings they may be confusing custom series with customised.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
I've also seen 2 different necks for the Standard Les Paul's as follows. That's why I'm confused-some custom's say custom, and some standards actually have standard written on them.
Attachments:
standard 1.jpg
standard 2.jpg
Quote by Danno13
No it's not.

Anyway, get the Standard. Customs are tonally the same, it's just the paint you're paying more for.

actually, danno, i have to diagree there , the customs i think play quite a lot nicer ( i worked in a guitar shop for a while, and had to clean all the SH*t epis one day), than the standard
--
Quote by forgop
I've also seen 2 different necks for the Standard Les Paul's as follows. That's why I'm confused-some custom's say custom, and some standards actually have standard written on them.

i think thats just the older and newer ones, i noticed that at my shop, and asked the guys, and they said "just ignore it". Like on of the epis came with 'gibson usa' stickers on the p'ups!?
--
Also, is there a way of telling for sure if they give you the serial number? They have that listed.
Quote by J.MitMetallica
i think thats just the older and newer ones, i noticed that at my shop, and asked the guys, and they said "just ignore it". Like on of the epis came with 'gibson usa' stickers on the p'ups!?

Could they be doing the same thing with the customs as well, or just the standards?
Quote by J.MitMetallica
actually, danno, i have to diagree there , the customs i think play quite a lot nicer ( i worked in a guitar shop for a while, and had to clean all the SH*t epis one day), than the standard

You sure that's not just the set-up? I've played both models (Korean-made) back to back and couldn't tell a difference. Then I played a newer Chinese one, and man- that was terrible.
possibly the set up, and also when you have a sexy paint job in front of you, you want it to feel like it plays better
--
Quote by forgop
Could they be doing the same thing with the customs as well, or just the standards?

no i dont think so, because the customs have to have that fat diamond business on the headstock, otherwise they would be a custom...
--
what is?
--
Just get teh studio, it's the same as standard, but uglier.

Well don't carry your studio out, people will actually beat you up if the see you own a studio
wtf??? i dont get what youre saying
--
I read something maybe in one of the auctions or on this site saying that they're not made as well today as in the past. Is there any truth to getting a better guitar if it's a few years old vs a new one?
How are the Les Paul Studios? (Epiphone)
Last edited by Dublo7 at Aug 13, 2006,
to forgop: yes gibson (thus epi) quality control has fallen in the past 5 years, so getting one before then would be good, but for an epi, its not the end of the world anyway...
--
Quote by J.MitMetallica
to forgop: yes gibson (thus epi) quality control has fallen in the past 5 years, so getting one before then would be good, but for an epi, its not the end of the world anyway...

When you're as bad as I am, you settle for the Epi knowing pretty darn well there's a pretty good chance it's the closest thing you're gonna get.
thats not the right mentality man! Whats wrong with you ! . That's why you practice, anywhooo, theres not much point getting a gibson, they cost too much to buy new, a good epi (like the custom, or elitist if your rich enough) will do me with a p'up change, i dont like Lps anyway. But yeh, settle for epi
--
Quote by J.MitMetallica
thats not the right mentality man! Whats wrong with you ! . That's why you practice, anywhooo, theres not much point getting a gibson, they cost too much to buy new, a good epi (like the custom, or elitist if your rich enough) will do me with a p'up change, i dont like Lps anyway. But yeh, settle for epi

I got my first guitar around 16-17 years ago and always struggled with 2 things-short fingers and my inability to really "get it" with regards to music. For me, I always had to learn stuff off of tab and I'd memorize certain riffs and such, but never really seemed to remember the whole song to get good enough to play a song all the way through. I went through a Fender American Standard Strat that I swore was a crap guitar, but it's probably because the input in was so bad that what I heard out of it sucked. I then got a Yamaha LD10E acoustic which sounded great, but very seldom played it. I finally sold it about 5 years ago after coming to a realization at the time that guitar playing was more like wishful thinking on my behalf.

Anyway, I decided to give it another go by buying an Ibanez AEG10E for an acoustic and want to get the Epi LP now. I know a 13 year old that has been taking lessons from a guy here in town and he's been doing really well with him and managed to get his only opening as he's usually completely booked. I've never even met the guy-I just know he was so highly recommended by the kid's dad.

I'm obviously very rusty after having not so much as picked up a guitar in 5-6 years, but it seems like I'm making a little better progress with regards to chord changes faster than I remember doing a few years ago. I'll just give it a go this time around and see how well it works out. I think I just tell myself that because I have short fingers, I'll never be able to be any good because I have a lot of difficulty even using my pinky finger. I guess that's why I need to find some good stretching and speed building exercises, huh?
troy s. -speed mechanics for lead guitar, that book will help you out so much!!^
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
Quote by bob311
troy s. -speed mechanics for lead guitar, that book will help you out so much!!^

Thanks for the info...will certainly shop for one online.

Any idea if there are any good DVDs that do the same thing?