My friend is just starting up guitar, and she's just learning at the moment on my borrowed acoustic. She wants to get a Electric Guitar and Amp for her birthday (September ish) and so we went to town to try some out...

She liked Les Paul and Ibanez style best (feel of neck that is) and so she's thinking about getting a Les Paul. She doesn't really like teles or strats that much. She's into indie and classic rock...

So what guitar and amp would be best for her? Budget is around £250, £300 pushing it.

This is UK btw, and prefers to buy guitar in store... but amp can get off net.
Well id say something like a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a Roland Micro Cube
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well id say something like a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a Roland Micro Cube

Yeah, I actually suggested that myself, but she doesn't really like Strat style much... however Microcube in orange looks kinda funky :P
Although I thought the Vox AD15VT or DA15 would be good for her.
yeh the vox would be great cos you can adapt it to suit any sstyle (btw people, sound clips of that coming soon, sorry theyre soooooooooo late. It all my fault [sniff])
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
The AD15 is a good call I reckon.
Just get an epiphone LP with it and she should be hapy as Larry, and beleive me Larry's a rather happy chap.
An Epi LP is a bit out of price range... unless your suggesting the Special II?
NO. dont get one of those. the only thing that is 'special' about them is that they are about the poorest excuse for chopping down a tree ever. I think cheap Ibanez would be FANTASTICO. (of course).
--
yeh actually theyre alright, but the RG321MH will PWN ITS ASS. (god how many times have i said that about ibanez today) But its true as hell.. Get the Ibanez, a great place to start and thats not a bad guitar at all....
--
^Yeah, the Ibanez will own a lot of guitars in that price range.

If she likes the LP look, though, maybe this?
^Smart idea.

Stay away from Epiphone lower than Les Paul Studios/ G-400's
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
a good ibanez is the grx.. who cares bout the number but its very good for rock blues strumming
I would prolly go for Laney HCM10 for practice(amp)
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by kenk
a good ibanez is the grx.. who cares bout the number but its very good for rock blues strumming

Those are mahogany right?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
mine too...theyre good guitars, just the trem (which you dont really have to use, but it is floating, but like - semi-floating [looks like a strat bridge but can whammy like a floyd {almost}]), I have a GRX-140 which they dont make anymore but they make the GRX-40 which is essentially the same thing. But there are higher level ones too...and theyre very cheap, i like that JTK, its cool.
--
what are you guys talking about???? GRX are basswood body/alder, entry level, low end guitars.

rg321 better.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by mw7 at Aug 13, 2006,
yeh but they cost more, were being cost efficient darling
--
I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112 (fat strat, h/s/s) and a Vox da15 in the fall. Very versatile combo.
I think maybe she should concentrate on a guitar with that budget instead of both. She should get a great guitar right now with that budget, and then buy an amp later. So she doesn't have to upgrade both amp and guitar when she gets a little better.

www.rondomusic.net
tell her to get a nice Agile. Great guitars.

EDIT: after I googled it, it came out to 387 american dollars....for the 300 euros...

so I change what I think she should get to this
http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000prest.html
I owned one before and it was amazing. One of the best guitars for the money. Especially in a Les Paul shape.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

Last edited by pullmeunder at Nov 22, 2006,
Quote by J.MitMetallica
NO. dont get one of those. the only thing that is 'special' about them is that they are about the poorest excuse for chopping down a tree ever. I think cheap Ibanez would be FANTASTICO. (of course).

hey....ive got an lp special 2,its great!it was way better than the jackson kelly standard i had....took that piece of junk back....i think any begginer would be lucky to have a special 2 to start with
Zebra! llll llll llll llll llll

Save the Zebra's
Last edited by imSpecial2 at Nov 22, 2006,