Hey I was wondeing could anybody recommend some chords or chord sequences that sound, well, alienish (If thats a word ) I want The song to suggest like an alien invasion if you know what I mean. Its going to be an instrumental btw. I'm basically asking this because I read that Satriani, in a magazine, said that if he wanted to write a song about a guitarist from outer space, he wouldnt use C, G, F major etc. And also if you can recommend one, what mode should I use? Thanks
Re-read the same article and he tells you which mode to use .

Lydian mode is generally thought of as mysterious due to its sharpened fourth note. Use it carefully though else your songs will just sound bad.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
Quote by TeenBite
Re-read the same article and he tells you which mode to use .

Lydian mode is generally thought of as mysterious due to its sharpened fourth note. Use it carefully though else your songs will just sound bad.
Just was I was about to say, Lydian has a very outer-spacey feel.
Its not really about aliens, i just want it to sort of suggest that its about aliens is you know what I mean. And Yes possibly I could have a peacful bit in the middle or something but mostly chaotic.

Edit: I find the Lydian mode to be a bit too sweet.
Last edited by duggyrocks at Aug 13, 2006,
well i suggest using effects with odd chords for such a purpose. they is nothing i know of that is clarified as being alienish.

one chord i fell in love with , which is odd , is:

e 0
b 3
g 2
d 3
a 0
e 0

it should be strumt. if you just slash it it sounds like ****. add some effect and its odd and nice :P

if u have Guitar Pro you should go looking in all the suspended or add 13 , 12 9 etc. i can't give you the alien chord bud the database of GP has everything in it :P go search.
olf: That would be a Dmin(9)

Threadstarter: As stated, the Lydian mode is pretty cool for this sort of thing! Try the maj7#11 chord.

A cool voicing of Cmaj7#11:

-2-
-5-
-4-
-5-
-3-
---

One of Fmaj7#11:

---
-0-
-2-
-2-
---
-1-

Try playing lydian over those chords: Clydian over Cmaj7#11.

Also, try playing the minor pentatonic a half step below the chord! Example: Bmin pentatonic over Cmaj7#11. Sounds kick ass
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
One thing is for sure , its not Dm9 :P
you could make it a inversion Dm9 bud the lowest/root note is E which makes it a Esus4add9-(no 5th) chord... bud enought about that chord :P

nederlanders

the notes are EAFADE

which makes it best used as a inversion of FADE - Fmaj7
Last edited by olf at Aug 13, 2006,
try extended chords like a suspended thirteenth...you can hear Satch use some in the eight steps, and it has a dreamy, psychedelic feel to it

i'm pretty sure it's a Dm(9) or Dmadd9 if you will
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I think that using more spaced-out guitar tones will add alot in addition to what notes you're playing. Strange, synthetic tones like an envelope filter or a carefully used wah or a flanger could add alot to this type of song.

~i3~
Quote by olf
One thing is for sure , its not Dm9 :P
you could make it a inversion Dm9 bud the lowest/root note is E which makes it a Esus4add9-(no 5th) chord... bud enought about that chord :P

nederlanders

the notes are EAFADE

which makes it best used as a inversion of FADE - Fmaj7

F maj7 would be FACE. Just because the E is the lowest note it does not make it the root. That is defintly a D9 chord of some type as people have already said.
Try a lot of whammy dives for chaos. Think about star spanngled banner for inspiration.(Jimi's version of course.)
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Yeh, listen to Surfin' With The Alien.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjNAeELQ_Z8

Enjoy!

Ps. I agree with the idea that odd chords are good. Just still stick to some form of regular scale/progression so that it doesn't sound completely random. A few normal chords then a weird one tends to be useful.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest