i really need help because i have a floid rose guitar and i really need to reset it beause it is 2 far foward what shall i do i also struggling to set it because every time i try to tune the strings from top to bottom i go back to the top ones again and they are totally out of tune im really fustrated can anyone help
My Gear

Guitars:
Ibanez S370 DX limited edition
Rockwood les paul copy
Crafter electro acoustic
Squier Fat Telecaster Vintage Blonde

Amps:
Skytronic piece of crap
VOX AD50VT

Quote by Salted_Peanuts
My mom has gingers

Remove the back trem plate, tighten the screws and tune until the bridge is parallel.

Vague enough>?
if the bridge is not parallel with the body then you must tighten or loosen the springs in the back of the guitar. and about tuning, if you tune once and notice that some strings have gone too flat then tune again but tune those strings a little sharp (and reverse)...
EDIT: sh*t, you guys were faster...
yea but i need to know why the strings go out of tune again by the time i have got to the bottom strings
My Gear

Guitars:
Rockwood les paul copy
Crafter electro acoustic

Amps:
Skytronic piece of crap
VOX AD50VT

Quote by Salted_Peanuts
My mom has gingers

Cross tune them.

madpickin will come here sooner or later to eat us all with his avatar and his trustworthy copy and pasted text.

/EDIT: have you tried shouting at it?
Quote by Invictious
Cross tune them.

madpickin will come here sooner or later to eat us all with his avatar and his trustworthy copy and pasted text.

/EDIT: have you tried shouting at it?

im trying but i... just cant argggg i need pictures of how to do it or a vid
My Gear

Guitars:
Rockwood les paul copy
Crafter electro acoustic

Amps:
Skytronic piece of crap
VOX AD50VT

Quote by Salted_Peanuts
My mom has gingers

Quote by sk8er!
yea but i need to know why the strings go out of tune again by the time i have got to the bottom strings

new strings are like that unless there pre stretched. and its better to cross tune when you tune a guitar
cause it's a floating bridge. if you get one string sharper, all the other go flat. try bending one string and you'll notice that the others are a little flat. that's completely normal, that's why people don't like floyds...
EDIT: to threadstarter
Last edited by 666_Belial at Aug 13, 2006,
Quote by 666_Belial
cause it's a floating bridge. if you get one string sharper, all the other go flat. try bending one string and you'll notice that the others are a little flat. that's completely normal, that's why people don't like floyds...
EDIT: to threadstarter

yea but they go that out that it not playable
My Gear

Guitars:
Rockwood les paul copy
Crafter electro acoustic

Amps:
Skytronic piece of crap
VOX AD50VT

Quote by Salted_Peanuts
My mom has gingers

God knows how many times i've posted this.....

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
did you try to tune like i told you? cause that's how i do it, and i get my guitar in perfect tune. it takes some time, but it can be done.
Quote by madpickin03
God knows how many times i've posted this.....

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------

Hey madpicking, if you give me permission, i will do that for you

As I said, shouting at the trem and strings help a lot, once I was trying to tune my vintage (much less trouble, but still being a pain in the ass) I shouted at the trrem and strings, and they snapped in tune.
Hmm, yea, quote it and post it if you will...

or probably the mods should stick this along with all my other floyd rose thread....
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
damnit so many people buy these things thinking how cool divebombs are, and by the time they learn how to set it, they get a new guitar. But I have no room to talk, my first guitar had a licenced floyd rose on it, and I wish i had a fixed bridge for my first guitar...so i have nothing to do, maybe I can help you out a bit.

First, although it looks like there are several answers ill do it anywayz. Why does tightening one string make all the others lower? Because its on a floating bridge, Imagine a piece of metal connect to the ground on one end, and a wire pulling it up. The more you pull the wire the more the piece of metal will come towards you, atleast the end not connected to the ground. If you have two wires connected to it, the closer that piece of metal comes to you, the less tension it has because the bridge is closer to you, even though you are tightening the other wire.

Now I hope that made sense. But now you must intonate the bridge, and make it parallel to the body. But assuming its intonated, or a shop has done that for you, tuning a floyd is not difficult, just time consuming aqnd tedious. Basically what I do, is tune it as best I can while its unlocked, but tuning can take a while, because you have to go through all the strings MANY times before it stays in tune.

Once its decently tuned, see how the floyd is positioned, if its a little off from being parallel then turn the screws on the udnerside of the guitar in 1/4 turns. If its a lot off, then loosen the strings, and give the screws several turns and try to guess it, and then retune and repeat.

Once you have it parallel, and tuned, lock the nuts, and use the fine tuners to retune it, cause locking it makes the strings go a little sharp. You should set the fine tuners in the middle before tuning with the locking nuts off, so when you do lock it you have some play room. After fine tuning, which also takes some time, check the floyd to see if its parallel, if not, then adjust the screws on the under side of the guitar with 1/4 turns, and retune with the fine tuners.
If the fine tuners max out, and either go to high or too low to turn anymore, you must reset the tuners, unlocck the nuts, and retune with the turning pegs and adjusting the floyd, and repeat...

ugh goodluck, hope this helped...if not, well I feel better about mysefl for typing