I am thinking about picking up an EQ pedal sooner or later so that I can shape my sound more. II am just wondering how exactly you use them. I understand you plug them in and all that, but how would you EQ your am if you are using the pedal. For example, my second gain channel is EQ'd like Low=7, Mid=4.5 and High-6.5. If I set my pedals to mids at 9 and then activated it, wouldn't it make my mids only around 7?

Basically, how does the EQ pedal mix with the EQ on my amp?
all you are doing is increasing the amount of gain at a certain frequency-obviously if its a tube amp and a digital pedal it will change the sound of the frequency but you are basically adding onto whatever is on the amp.

I normally turn the amp settings down slightly and leave the eq pedal 3/4 of the way up with bass and treble freq's high and mids lower
ya it adds or takes away to what you have all the sliders set to 0 will not affect your tone.then you boost your tone or cut it. you boost by adding or cut by taking away like scooped mids are the whole big Rhythm EQ thing
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
So basically it compliments my amps EQ by boosting the frequencies coming from my guitar?
Yeah, or it can be used in the FX loop, i.e. after the EQ section, for a more dramatic change.

For example, a pedal before the amp can be used to give a bit more midrange punch to a Strat, and a pedal in the loop can be used to completely change your tone for a solo or breakdown section or whatever.
Quote by Danno13
Yeah, or it can be used in the FX loop, i.e. after the EQ section, for a more dramatic change.

For example, a pedal before the amp can be used to give a bit more midrange punch to a Strat, and a pedal in the loop can be used to completely change your tone for a solo or breakdown section or whatever.

Could I use it to make my amp dark sounding or bright sounding? It is not really either of those its pretty neutral.