I'm looking for some locking tuners right now.
1. I have a Mex Fender Strat
2. It has a normal vintage-type bridge.
3. I use the whammy a lot for dive-bombs/wide vibratos.

I currently am considering Gotohs, but let me know what you think.
I don't really have a price range, although nothing over $100 (most aren't)

Thanks for ideas!
My Guitar
>Ibanez RG7620 (7 string)

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
... ah, the bliss of ignorience!
On a strat with a non-lockign bridge, locking tuners will help keep your guitar in tune for moderate tremolo use, but no locking tuners will stand up to dive bombing. The tuner end of the string will be locked, but there's still play in the strings at the ball end of the string in the whammy itself.

If you intend to use the whammy a lot, I would recommend that you get yourself a guitar with a Floyd Rose trem. It's the only thing you can do to stay in tune with heavy whammy use.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
thanks for feedback
I'm also wondering, would it be a good idea to fit my strat with a Floyd instead of buying a new guitar?
or should i just get a guitar with a floyd?
My Guitar

You'd need some routing, so you're better off buying a new guitar
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
yeah man, save your self the trouble and guy a floyd equipted guitar. but back on topic, if you still want the locking tuners, cause theyre always nice to have, look into Grover, i have them and i love them,
Back to the tuners, anyone tried or have experience with Planet Waves tuners?
This worker at Guitar Center tried to sell them to me.
Are they good or crap?
My Guitar

No idea.

But I use Sperzel locking tuners, and they work great, although the ratio kinda sucks. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's real touchy.
Buying a Floyd and having it professionally installed (which requires routing the body)on a MIM Strat will cost far more than the guitar is actually worth, and won't increase its value in any appreciable manner. It would be better to get a guitar with a Floyd already installed.

As for tuners, I've used Sperzels on mh old Warmoth V (that I no longer own), and they work great. However, I don't like the coarse 12:1 turn ratio. It's great for getting to an alternate tuning quickly, but robs the tuner of minute precision IMO. Plus they will require drilling to install them on your guitar.

Grover tuners are nice in the sense that they fit on most guitars directly without mods. They also have no external locking mechanism like the other brands. You insert the string, and as you turn, the string locks then tunes. I currently have these installed on both my Agile and my ESP, and they work great. They have a nice, precise 18:1 ratio.

I also have Planetwaves tuners on my EX-351. They too work very well. They have external locking mechanisms just like Sperzel, Schaller and others, and are 'standard' size as well, so they also fit on most guitars without modification. The really cool gimmick with these is that they automatically cut the excess string off at the tuning peg for you. No tools required and no sharp string ends sticking out of yout tuning pegs looking to draw blood. This last feature is what sold me on these. Any future locking tuners I install will be Planetwaves. These also have an 18:1 ratio.

As for performance for keeping guitars in tune, I can't really say one brand is any better than another. They all work equally well IMO.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

scahller, nuff said...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by SGKIDD
scahller, nuff said...

Overpriced because they're made in Germany. I see no need in paying over $100 for a set of tuners when I can get a set of Planetwaves for $50.

i can get schallers for 54 dollars.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
If you are going to be going crazy on it all the time, I guess Crunch is right, but I've had very good luck with my MIA strat upgraded with Schaler locking tuners, Graptech saddles, and a Graptech string nut. It's a 2 point trem however, so that could make a difference too. The Schaler you can get on eBay pretty consistently for $50. I wouldn't buy them new, you can get used mint ones pretty cheap from a number of reputable dealers on eBay. They bolt right up to the MIA strats without modifications, since they come stock on the MIA deluxe models, which makes it pretty convenient. I'm not positive on the MIM models however. I do my own setups, so that helps, but I can get away with some pretty heavy trem use, and mine stays in tune very well. I made a vid last year playing Running with the Devil, Aint talking bout Love, and Little Dreamer all in one clip on the strat, and it stays in tune the entire time. I have it on my dmusic site.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Best I was able to find Schaller for (when I was last shopping for locking tuners last year) online was about $75 (plus shipping) for chrome. I needed black, and they were considerably more expensive. Gold ones were going for close to $120 if memory serves me correctly. Ebay was more reasonable, but I could never find any sets of 6 in-line black. Grovers cost me $40, and Planetwaves $50. Sperzels had cost me about $70 (all before shipping).

Quote by Crunchmeister
Best I was able to find Schaller for (when I was last shopping for locking tuners last year) online was about $75 (plus shipping) for chrome. I needed black, and they were considerably more expensive. Gold ones were going for close to $120 if memory serves me correctly. Ebay was more reasonable, but I could never find any sets of 6 in-line black. Grovers cost me $40, and Planetwaves $50. Sperzels had cost me about $70 (all before shipping).

ahh, yeah, they are a lot more, even on eBay for black or gold. I don't think I've even seen black Schalers.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids