Hey, heres the deal, im an acoustic guitar player (mainly) and i wanted to broaden my musical skills and move into playing the electric as well. I have a black beauty les paul (ephiphone), an amp with many effects and a distortion petal that can do anything, but yet when i try to aim for sounds simular to artists i like i always fail. I think this is because i dont know the correct names for the sounds im hearing from their guitar... they might be using flanger, high gain... ANYTHING I DONT KNOW. I barely even know what to ask for since i am so damn clueless when it comes to it. Here are some of the different sounds im looking for.
The "clean" sounds in Motion City Soundtrack... it has some sort of effect on it, i really like it but i have no clue what it is
Any distortion/effect Say Anything uses
Any distortion/effect from Saves the Day
and this will sound the dumbest... how the hell do i get my guitar to get the best sound out of "distortion," like do i turn up the gain and presence or turn up the high/med/low settings... i dont know i just cant get a real rock sound from it.

As you can see i wasnt kidding, i am clueless when it comes to electric, if someone could lend any sort of advice i would greatly apreciate it
To really get the sound of any artsit you have to use the exact amp they use, and it helps a ****load to have all there effects and guitars.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Well im not looking to like stalk these people and be the carbon copy of them lol that would be easy, but im looking to aim towards that... i cant even do That right now. I have a very versitile guitar/amp and everything, i just need somewhere to aim
You could try the Ultimate Settings thread. :P
And just experiment a lot with all the options you amp and panel have.
In general you get a pretty nice rock sound with treble turned up a lot (let's say 8), bass turned up quite a bit asswel (let's say 6 or 7) and not too much mid (3 or so. maybe 4) and the distortion set about halfway (depens on what kind of distortion though, there's a huge difference between a distortion meant for metal and a distortion ment voor softer rock music). Also keep in mind that selecting a different pickup also affects your sound. The neckpickup is usally more warm and 'round' sounding while the bridge pickup has a trebblier slightly more twangy sound to it. Most guitarists use the bridge pickup with distortion and the neck pickup for clean.

One more thing: If you use the distortion panel don't use the amp distortion at the same time unless you want a really really mean heavy sound :P
i have a behringer gmx 210 or 212, im not sure lol the manual has both numbers on it... i aslo have an amp simulater ( but i dont really know wtf each thing does lol)
Amp Sim. You mean something like Guitarrig2 On the computer? OR what? Some Line 6 PoS?

lol the thing i have is a PoS just not a line 6... which i actualy heard good things about... its a multi-effect thing that has different amp sims on it, they all sound cool, i just need to be schooled on wtf im doing
The best way to learn what your doing is to Play around with it till you getthe sound you like.

i have done plenty of playing around and i can get it to do thing i want, but i just want to know the names of the effects so i know what im aiming for when i hear a song.