I am going to buy my 1st practice amp. I have Ibanez AG75 hollowbody guitar, Boss OD3 overdrive and Boss CS3 compressor pedals.
I want it mainly for rock, I dont need too much overdrive/distortion.
I prefer valve over ss amp.
I have trouble deciding which amp to get, because there arent much shops around with good gear, so I need some advices which ones to get/try.
Right now, I could buy an Epiphone Valve Jr. combo, if I would need more expensive combo, I will need to save the money...

My current favourites are the Epi VJ and Fender Blues jr.(but I didnt heard them), althrough Fender 3x more expensive than Epi, but I will better wait and get a decent amp, one which I will not need to replace soon(I mean I want a quality sounding amp!). But also, if the difference between VJ and BJ isnt that big, I will get the VJ.
The biggest problem is that the VJ is a new thingy here, I can only order it from a webshop...
Here is a soundclip of the sound I would like to get close to with my gear
(its Bonehead`s rhythm guitar from Oasis - Stand By Me song).

Thanx for any help and sorry for a little bit odd thread.
Attachments:
gt.zip
Last edited by MarekM at Aug 13, 2006,
I've tried both the Valve Junior combo and the Blues Junior combo and can honestly say the Fender kicked the Epi's ass. The Epi has nice cleans, but because of the low wattage, you've got barely no headroom and it overdrives pretty quickly. As for the overdrive, I didn't like it at all. Some people do like the amp tho so you've really gotta try this one before you commit to it.

As for the Blues Junior, I realy liked it. The cleans are very nice, nicer than the Epi's. Very warm and fat. I didn't get a chance to turn up the master volume in the shop, but with a little preamp gain it sounded very nice so I can only assume the powertube gain will be very nice.

I believe Noel uses a couple of Blues Juniors in some of the Oasis songs, if not on the recording then I'm pretty sure he's used them live.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
I've tried both the Valve Junior combo and the Blues Junior combo and can honestly say the Fender kicked the Epi's ass. The Epi has nice cleans, but because of the low wattage, you've got barely no headroom and it overdrives pretty quickly. As for the overdrive, I didn't like it at all. Some people do like the amp tho so you've really gotta try this one before you commit to it.

As for the Blues Junior, I realy liked it. The cleans are very nice, nicer than the Epi's. Very warm and fat. I didn't get a chance to turn up the master volume in the shop, but with a little preamp gain it sounded very nice so I can only assume the powertube gain will be very nice.

I believe Noel uses a couple of Blues Juniors in some of the Oasis songs, if not on the recording then I'm pretty sure he's used them live.

And do you think that with this setup: AG75 -> OD3-> CS3 -> BJ, will it be possible to get that overdriven sound in my clip?
I don't know firsthand, but I imagine it would be possible, yes. PM R_H_C_P, he has a Blues Junior and an OD3 and likes Oasis He's on holiday at the moment but he'll get back to you when he gets back I'm sure.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
PM R_H_C_P, he has a Blues Junior and an OD3 and likes Oasis

I already did it