is a guitar neck supposed to be completly flat? I check to see if my guitar neck is straight by using a straight edge. Every couple of days, the guitar neck seems to bow in like a millimeter or two even i if i tighten the truss rod. When i loosen the strings to tighten the truss rod, the next day the neck is completly flat, but when i put the strings on, it bows in a very little bit. is this normal??
Correct me if im wrong, but the truss rod is there to counteract the force your strings are putting on the neck.

So if your truss rod isn't exerting enough force, your strings are going to make your neck bow.
When you loosen the strings to adjust the truss rod, theres less pull from the strings, and more push from the truss rod, making it straight.

Correct?
^^ yes i know, but im asking if the neck is supposed to be perfectly straight.
Quote by buzzcut

All 5 of my guitars have the very slightest of bends, i'm not sure whether this is just a optical illusion though as i've never tested it, i'm sure it's fine though.
Quote by Tom Martin

Jeez... if your house was on fire, what would you do? Phone the fire department, or go on UG and ask us what to do?
It is, or you can have a little Releif, to help you play certain styles.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
You are supposed to have some bow in the neck lengthwise. That is what the truss rod is there for. It keeps that minimal bow in the neck.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

so its normal i when i lay a straight edge on my neck ,at the end there is a 2 mill gap or so?
Quote by buzzcut

No, it's not supposed to be perfectly straight it's supposed to be bent just a little bit, or else you'll get fretbuzz even on very high-end guitars. By adjusting the trussrod you can make sure there is only a very slight bow, because if your neck is bent too much your guitar will be very difficult to play.
Hi, I have a similiar problem with my guitar. Its a Squier Tom Delonge Signature. Even with the trust rod tightenned, it looks like its bowing too much. I have to really raise the action to prevent fret buzz. I can't play any frets above the 12 th one. Any ideas? Thanks.
In theory having a perfectly flat neck there should be no need for you put a little bit of bow into the neck. All the guitars i've got have flat neck with the lowest possible action, and the same for all my custom guitars. They're all set up with perfectly flat necks and .018" action at the first fret, bass E & .006" action at the first fret treble E.

xbcrguy182x - tighten the truss rod about 1/8 of a turn every half hour or so until it's perfectly straight. If you've got a straight edge, lay it down on the neck and check to see if there is any high frets & how the neck is warped.

2mm is a lot of gap, where are you measuring it. At most there should be maybe a .005" relief at the 8th fret.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Aug 14, 2006,
Thanks, but I have tried that and now I can't turn anymore. If it helps, if i press down a string on say the 20th fret, theres a big gap between the string and frets, more towards the middle. And if you look at the neck from the bridge, the neck looks like its curving. Any more ideas?
that sounds like its too bowed then, tighten it slightly
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
I wish I can, but thats the most it goes. I'm scared to try harder, i dont want to bust off the nut lol. Also, does it matter if i do this with the strings on or off? Thanks.
Quote by xbcrguy182x
I wish I can, but thats the most it goes. I'm scared to try harder, i dont want to bust off the nut lol. Also, does it matter if i do this with the strings on or off? Thanks.

you should lossen the strings before you make an adjustment
You're going to have to take the neck off and straighten it using other methods. I'd loosen the truss rod and apply 2-3 heat lamps at the surface of the neck and clamp it to a table. Let it cool and go from there.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by AlGeeEater
You're going to have to take the neck off and straighten it using other methods. I'd loosen the truss rod and apply 2-3 heat lamps at the surface of the neck and clamp it to a table. Let it cool and go from there.

Chris

cant a shop fixed a truss rod that wont tighten any more??
Good news, I loosened the strings, and i could tighten the trust rod even more....woooo! Its more straighter now...The action is perfect now. Thanks a bunch. Should I keep it tightenned or loosen it again? Thanks.
Quote by xbcrguy182x
Good news, I loosened the strings, and i could tighten the trust rod even more....woooo! Its more straighter now...The action is perfect now. Thanks a bunch. Should I keep it tightenned or loosen it again? Thanks.

You might want to double-check your settings: First go to every single string and
every fret make sure no position buzzes or goes dead. Then do a bend on all your
higher strings and make sure none of the bends "fret out". Many's the time I
thought the setting was "perfect" until I tried bends (esp on high E) and found
that they were fretting out. To me, that's an unacceptable condition.
Quote by edg
Many's the time I thought the setting was "perfect" until I tried bends (esp on high E) and found
that they were fretting out. To me, that's an unacceptable condition.

That may be more of the radius on the board's fault rather than the action. Still needs to be fixed none-the-less but on flatter boards it wouldn't be a problem.
I know what your talking about. Whats also funny, before I tightenned the truss rod, I had my action super high, but then after tightenning it, the action was nice and low. However, I still need to raise it a bit more.