ok i hear and read about people using a metronome all the time and i would like to start using one to practice with but i dont know how to use it accuratley ...someone please explain to me that i can do this..ive been told im a "remarkable" guitarist by my music teacher (notbragging or anything) and i know all kinds of stuff but i have never messed with a metronome and i would like to utilize the oppurtunity to make my playing better

and like i said efore dont be a douche bag about it im just asking a question
google online metrenome on google, and it does a certain beats per minute (BPM) and everytime it clicks you play a note or ever click > 2 notes every click > 4 notes
Yeah you basically adjust it to whatever tempo you would like...And then practice playing one note at a time of whatever your doing (scale,riff,etc.) and then gradually adjust the speed so that you can play faster and faster as well as more accurately...

I have one but rarely use it, I should though because when I do I see a huge difference.
I keep the wolf from the door, but he calls me on the phone, tells me all the ways that he's gonna mess me up, steal all my children if I don't pay the ransom, but I'll never see them again If I squeal to the cops.
Quote by XzX_Patrick_XzX
ok i hear and read about people using a metronome all the time and i would like to start using one to practice with but i dont know how to use it accuratley ...someone please explain to me that i can do this..ive been told im a "remarkable" guitarist by my music teacher (notbragging or anything) and i know all kinds of stuff but i have never messed with a metronome and i would like to utilize the oppurtunity to make my playing better

and like i said efore dont be a douche bag about it im just asking a question

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412488
Just set it to a tempo you feel comfortable with. Start at let's say...60 bpm. Now, just play chromatic scales up and down. If you can play 16th notes perfectly at 60, go up to 70, 80, so on, until you hit "the wall." I like to think of the wall as a point where you can no longer play chromatic scales using 16th notes. This finds your speed. If you want to increase your speed, I'd say practice at least a half an hour a day using chromatic scales. Also, do major scales, and all their modes.

The metronome is not only used to build speed though. Yeah you can play something, but can you play it in time? I always practice with a metronome when im reading music, or working on new material, or even old material. You know you're off the beat when say your in 4/4 time, if there's a note on the 1 beat, but when you play that note, it's not on the "click."

A metronome will give you a feeling of time, and also help you play with others, so your not 2 beats behind the bassist or something.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Play at a speed you are comfortable with, raise it by 10 bpm once you are comfortable, drop it by 5 and keep it there for a little bit, then increase by 10 again. This is so you get used to playing at different speeds, and you don't start getting overwhelmed by the sheer speed
If youre learning a new lick or something, start at a slow speed. Everytime you play it perfectly, increase it by a small amount, like 5. When you get to the speed that you finally mess up on, go back to the previous setting and practice with that for the rest of the day. The idea is that you can still play it perfectly, but you're on the edge of your limits, so this will actually push your limits.