Okay I think I'm screwed. I'm installing Emg's 81/81 in my schecter and the soldering iron is a bitch. I know I'm supposed to solder the 2 white wires comming from the pickups to the volume control, but the soldering iron burnt off the silver braid thats supposed to go on the pot. Plus the iron basiclly distengrates any amount of solder when I try to connect wires together. Is this gonna be a problem, or is there a chance I still solder it on? Will i have to go take it to get reapaird. Guitar Center is outrageous in installing pickups, like $240 so I need an alt solution.

Any good soldering iron/gun brands, I'm using one for $10 from Radioshack.
Schecter C-1-XXX - Seymour Duncan Jazz/Invader
Schecter A-1 - EMG 81/81
Schecter S-1 - EMG 81/85
Titan Custom Fernandes Ravelle Style

Peavy G-150
Line 6 Spider II 30

Line 6 Constrictor
Digitech Death Metal Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Last edited by Bass90 at Aug 13, 2006,
your gonna need to make sure you have the right solder first plus dont touch the soldering iron to the solder and wire for too long just a second because the parts will get hot rather quickly and you can actually burn parts out that gun should be fine? its the same one i have used for a couple of years now. just make sure the solder you purchased isnt to soft notice the original solder was alot more dificult to soften and take off?
do you have any previous experience in soldering?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

you can strip the wire down some more to expose more of the braid, just be careful not to heat the wire too much. Ive found the best way to do it is to hold the iron and the solder just above the wire (hold it in in place with a clamp or prop it up on something) and melt the solder before moving the iron down to transfer the solder onto the wire, then tap the tinned wire to the iron to fasten to the pot.
Quote by SEALSniper1152
you can strip the wire down some more to expose more of the braid, just be careful not to heat the wire too much. Ive found the best way to do it is to hold the iron and the solder just above the wire (hold it in in place with a clamp or prop it up on something) and melt the solder before moving the iron down to transfer the solder onto the wire, then tap the tinned wire to the iron to fasten to the pot.

Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Quote by pierce34celtic
Are you sure that price estimate is right? Jw, because GC said they'd charge me $96 to install EMG's in my Blackjack.

the place I work at charges $56 .
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
I suggest you look up a tutorial on soldering and practice on some scraps of wire. It's not ROCKET SURGERY, won't be long before your a pro.
a good soldering joing should take like 3-4 seconds.

Solder travels to heat...so a little how to...

First make sure you are tinning everything. If the soldering iron is new, u need to tin the tip. THat is melt some solder onto it. This will make the soldering iron grab solder more easily. Next is to tin the two conection spots. Where ever your are soldering to, and the wire needs to have a thin layer of solder.

Some people will use a screw drive to hold a wire down. Place the soldering iron on top of the wire, that is on top of the place you are soldering it too, that should be tinned. When the wire gets hot, the solder will travel to the wire and then the Pot, or whatever it is your soldering too.

This should only take about 3 seconds. Also its a good idea to get some kinda of heat sync. This can consist of a copper wire, or something to help hold heat from the wire. Better the heat be in the copper wire, then having excess heat mess up your electronics
How fortunate that you guys live in the states. Over here in Canada guitar stores are outrageous too. $68 bucks for a crap "quailty jack" that only cost $.50 +installation and wanted 4 weeks to do this simple job.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.