Heya! My first thread here on UG forums so bear with me :P

I'm 20 years old and pretty recently got to start playing the guitar.. I played allittle piano and such when I was like.. 11-14 I think it was so I got some of the basic music knowledge but I'm still very very new to the Guitarscene..
My question is, How old do you think too old is for starting learning? I really would like to get lessons too but isnt it just stupid to get it when you're 20 years old?

How old were you when you started playing guitar and how long did it take for you to becom a "decent" player?

** Edit **
Another thing.. If you got any advice or anything else would be really helpfull
"Never argue with an idiot.. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience "
Last edited by Mong0 at Aug 13, 2006,
Never to old to learn something, unless your so old u cant move cause u have arthritis in your fingers and they are unable to do so, but your only 20 so I think your good. And its not dumb for a person your age to get lessons, I've seen guys more older taking lessons. And to become a decent player it only took me about 2.5 years before i had some satisfaction with my playing. But it depends on how much you practice before you get good.
Quote by Johnljones7443
You're never too old. Ever.

thumbs up

and dont give it up!
Quote by EmeraldXecution
what the fuck does an auction
have to do with a drum battle?

god I wish I could post the pear here.....

Quote by roarinflames

btw youre avatar is great
couldnt help but laugh

Quote by bearded_monkey
I couldn't read that...I'm to mesmerized by your avatar...(in the gayest way possible)
you're never too old to learn music. I started when i was 13 and been playin for 2 1/2 years and i can play a lotta things. the cemetary gates solo and things like that. i can improvize pretty good, but theres always room for improvement there. lessons aren't a bad idea, although i never took any i know some other local guitarists that took lessons and they improved a lot, from me showing them scales and all that to them being way better than me

as for advice, learn basic chords chords then scales and modes, but playing for fun and learning your favourite songs is why most people start.
if you get lessons, then you're teacher will likely have better learning techniques than i do
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
if you have a good teacher in a 1yr to 1 1/2yr you'll start to sorta become good(you should be able to play most songs at the beginning level and maybe some intermediate songs, you should know all your scales and most of your chords down now so improvising should start to come in place, you should be able to transcribe some easy punk songs and maybe some easy solo's by ear.) by 2years your a decent player but some people develop earlier and some dont so it all comes down to how much dedication and time you put into it.
and man there isnt anything called to old to play lol I know people in there 30s-40s just starting they do regret not starting earlier but in my opinion I think its better you learn how to play now then never(cause a ton of guys have the same state of mind as you do and really 20 aint that old and its better you start now then never man)
That's one of the reasons for me starting Got some songs that I really really would like to learn and I have already started working on some of them alrady but since I just started I think I mainly need to buidl up some more strength in my hand.. My fingers hurt at the momet ;D Been playing almost all day and I wanna play more but it hurts soo bad Hehe I love it! <3
"Never argue with an idiot.. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience "
That's one of the reasn for me starting Got some songs that I really really would like to learn and I have already started working on some of them alrady but since I just started I think I mainly need to buidl up some more strength in my hand.. My fingers hurt at the momet ;D Been playing almost all day and I wanna play more but it hurts soo bad Hehe I love it! <3

you sound exactly like me when i started...whether thats a good or a bad thing i don't know
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by cerveza
you sound exactly like me when i started...whether thats a good or a bad thing i don't know

I'm hoping it's a good thing
My mates dad started playing guitar when he was in his 40s.
like john said, your never too old

I hope johnljones' name is john....:-/
Been away, am back
I'm 28 and just started about 5 months ago. As long as you are dedicated to it and don't give up, you can learn it.
Yea man just pick up and play. However, if you planned on getting famous or something, I don't know if that's guarenteed. You would need to basically make guitar your life and focus on that constantly in order for that to happen. And even if you did that, slim chance.
Quote by Ascendancy5
Yea man just pick up and play. However, if you planned on getting famous or something, I don't know if that's guarenteed. You would need to basically make guitar your life and focus on that constantly in order for that to happen. And even if you did that, slim chance.

Not really my aim at the moment, no :p just for funsies
Sweet, Mong0. Glad to see you're getting into guitar! It is incredibly fun. You think you're addicted now? When you get better and start writing your own songs and stuff, it's even more addictive. I live and breath guitar and music now! I go through guitar withdrawels if I don't play for a while. Guitar is like heroin, man!

You're never too old to start. 20 is not even close to old, anyway. Press on man, you will succeed!

As for any tips, I'd recommend you learn your chords, and some simple chord-based songs to get you started off. Then, learn your scales and modes, while moving into more advanced songs. If you want to, find a teacher, but if not, you'll do fine teaching yourself as long as you learn all your chords and scales and basic techniques. This site has some great lessons to get you started. If you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me! I'll be happy to give you advice/tips/whatever you need!
Like everyone has said above, it's never too old to get into playing music. It's a blessing to the musical community whenever there's a new musician.

And to answer your other question, I started playing when I was 15 and I'm turning 17 next month! =) I set really high standards for myself...so I'd say I'm only an "ok" guitarist. Haven't reached decent quite yet lol.
Got METAL?

Quote by metacarpi
However, if we're being all grown up about this (in the pit?) walkingonspikes is dead on
well, i think that when you're younger, it's easier to learn, but, i think you can't be too old to learn something new, it will be humilliating when you go to a guitar shop and a 14 year old kid is shredding and you don't even know what's a chord?
Last edited by deluxity at Aug 13, 2006,
your not old man

i would recommend getting lessons to get the basics down(which is really important) but after a year or 2 you should be able to teach yourself anything
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
I know exactly what your thinking. I started when I was 18, but im 19 now, and im just now starting to play some solo's. But when I do I love it...granted it is the highway to hell solo which is very easy, but now im working on AC/DC
But I guess thats about right for 9 months? ....sigh...but im in college now....I wish Iwouldhave started freshman year in highschool so I would have a good playing knowldege in college. AHH theres a guy up here thats been playing for 5 years and he is amazing, pulling solo's out of thin air, and knows almost every song you could imagine, acoustic and electric.

Damn Im joing a frat too and the frat that I like has a couple of players, a great bass player and a guitarist...I wish I could just whip out a pick from my pocket and my guitar and start to jam with them. And to hear the guy pull a bass line out and make a solo up for it.

But no I started last october and I wish i was improving faster...

BUT!! I play guitar for my own enjoyment. I wish I could impress some people, but I cant, and yea that does irritate me seeing people play well, and in front of other people, i still get kinda a stage fright even when im not on stage. So much to do, so much to learn, so much to improve.

But goodluck! if you like it then do it, who knows where it will lead? if not just take up your free time so you are sitting in front of a TV seeping roots into the sofa
my advice is getting lessons but also learn some easy powerchord type stuff on your own. I never got lessons and I just finished my third year of playing and IM probably at the 2 year level. If I had lessons and understood more about the actual notes I am playing and so forth I'd be a lot better of a player. I am justa hobbiest so its all good, bu yea get some lessons.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
I started playing when I was 21, and you are still ahead of me in a way since you have some basic thory. I wish I would have started at like 12, because then I would be such a better player today, but then again the learning experience is also rewarding in it self. Just realising that you get better and better is pretty satisfactionary.

I got a few lessons about a year after I had started to play, and it was like me and four 15 year old kids. That made me feel too old, but I got something out of the lessons and I kept playing.

Just keep it up and you wont regret it. But remember that you don't become good in a jiff.
Fender '69 Thinline
Simon and Patrick S&P 6 Cedar
Yamaha C-40
Line6 POD xt
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Gallien & Krueger 400RB
EBS 1x15 cab
Well the only real problem of being older is that you won't have as much free time, when i was 15 i could spend all summer playin guitar. But once you're older other things get in the way. But as long as you're willing to spend like 30 min a day you should be well on your way within 4-5 months. It also depends on your goals, if you want to become a virtuoso this might be too late, simply because you have other more important priorities (wife/girlfriend, job etc.) most virtuosos tend to start at like 12-15 and spend 2-3 years practicing all day and night and by 18-20 are good enough to be famous.
If you wanna have FUN it is NEVER too late!

I would also recommend seeing a teacher AFTER you've got the basic open chords and punk style riffs down (probably will take 3-4 months) so that they can teach you more about scales and modes and stuff
Quote by Johnljones7443
You're never too old. Ever.

not true. i doubt rotting dead people can fret well.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Logz
I hope johnljones' name is john....:-/

Haha, yes.

Quote by tubab0y
not true. i doubt rotting dead people can fret well.

I didn't mean dead people.
Quote by Johnljones7443

I didn't mean dead people.

Another piece of evidence for John's statement:

My dad stopped guitar for 30 years. Now he's 54 and playing again
You're never too old.
If you even think "I'm too old forb that ****, then youll never do it"
I'm 50 and have been learning for a year.
No, most definitely not too old. I turned 20 three weeks ago and have been playing for 2 months.