haha, ya, the title was a little melodramatic but I think it displayed my point. Heres my story: I was checkin out the website for my local alternative venue in Portland, The Crystal Ballroom and I found that From Oct 12-15 I have the chance to catch 3 indietastic concerts in Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah (w/ Architecture in Helsinki), Sufjan Stevens (w/ my Brightest Diamond) and The Dresden Dolls (opening band TBA). This is my dillemma, its during school so my parents say I can only go to one (possibly 2 if I barter with them), also, I dunno if I have enough money for all 3 if I tried.

So my question to the good people of A&I (I assume I can use this acronym like I can use S&L for songwriting and Lyrics) is which 1 (or 2) of these concerts would you see out of these options?

(Note to Andrew and Jon: if this doesnt belong here for whatever reason just tell me and I will either fix the problem or delete it and post it in the right section)

Clap your Hands
Sufjan
Desden

in that oreder
Gear
Fender Standard Tele
Epi Les Paul Custom w/ emg 81 (18v)
Line 6 Vetta
FBV Longboard
Dresden Dolls
Sufjan Stevens
CYHSY (mostly because I can't stand Architecture in Helsinki)
Definately see Sufjan. He is supposed to be fantastic live. The Dresden Dolls are also an amazing act live. For two people, they sure fill the venue (musically, theatrically and crowd-wise). Good all round.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Sufjan
Dresden Dolls
CYHSY
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

see sooooooofyan. cos hes the best of those, and i dunno, i imagine hes the one youd get the least oppurtunities to see...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
the only one of those i haven't seen is sufjan. i would put him at the top for that reason. i've seen the dolls a few times, and they put on a really good show. i would place cyhsy at the bottom. really though, it just comes down to who you like the most.
Im going to have to say Dresden Dolls, then if you can convince the parentals, go check out Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. I have nothing against Sufjan Stevens, I just... well I dunno.
1. Dresden Dolls
2. Sufjan Stevens

3. CYHSY (don't really like them)

However as pointed out The Dresden Dolls are more likely to be playing their newer stuff which isn't so amazing, but both them and Sufjan should put on great shows. And yeah go for the ones you like the best, this is just my opinion really, and as I haven't seen any of them live I'm just going by what I've heard on record/a few live songs and other people's reviews.
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah would be my #1
then Sufjan
then Dresden
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
I think it should also be pointed out that seeing Sufjan Stevens will garner you more indie hipster cred then the other two bands
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Sufjan, and what i've heard from the backup My Brightest Diamond, it's sweeet... And Sufjan is a god!

The last two are meh on my list, leaning 'twards The Dresden Dolls
Sufjan
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Dresden Dolls
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Dresden - I'd kill to see them live
Sufjan - I haven't really heard much about his live shows but I'm sure they're amazing
CYHASY- really don't like them but they have the BEST band name ever
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
clap your hands say yeah
dresden dolls
sufjan

Yeah. The rumors are true. I'm a twat.
Quote by RHCPhysco8
Dresden - I'd kill to see them live

I concur.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
I'm still undecided about that, all of my friends that enjoy good music are out of town now so I got no one to go with. Bah, your right, I'll go anyway. By the by, you live around Portland?

Who, me? I wish. That's an amazing line up visiting your town. I'm from the UK.

love is a dog from hell.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah- seen, amazing
Sufjan Stevens- seen, great
Dresden Dolls- havent seen, seems like it would be an entertaining show

Im seeing Wolf Parade on Monday!
DD first...and as for them playing newer stuff when I saw them earlier this year (not when they toured with that god awful panic band) they played a nice mix of stuff. Also, from what I've heard they have been doing a lot of covers.

CYHSY second...saw 'em at Bonnaroo and despite a bunch of technical problems they still impressed me.

Sufjan...I haven't seen him and haven't really been able to get into him, although I have heard a few songs by My Brightest Diamond and I was digging them.
godammit, way to help me out A/I

the final tally came to:

Dresden: 8
CYHSY: 7 (and then I'm adding one cause thats the one my friend on the east coast wants me to see)
Sufjan: 8

so as you can see, you people havent helped me be descicive at all o well, back to pleading con mis padres to go to todos...
Just see all of them, dude (if you can but according to your first post that seems unlikely).

It all depends on what band you're most excited for not what everyone else is excited for.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Just ask yourself, if you skipped school or whatever, what would be the consequences?
After that compare the consequences to how much you would probably enjoy these concerts, and then make your choice.
i don't really even know, can't you just throw a dart or something?
i am member no. 3 of the 'coheed and cambria fan club' interested? pm CoheedANDnofx6.

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"
-Mitch Hedberg
1.Sufjan
2.CLHSY
3.Dresden (Not to in any way say they're inferior, but I mean look who else you're dealing with here)
I am livin out the life of a poet
I am the jester in the ancient court
and You're the funny little frog in my throat
I've never heard the Dresden Dolls, but I've seen Sufjan and Clap Your Hands live, and Sufjan's show was definitely more exciting. Not to say that CYHSY put on a poor show or anything, but it wasn't as good as Sufjan's.

That being said, I've never heard of his opener, and I really like CYHSY and Architecture in Helsinki, so that'd be a tough one.