I've been browsing through the various threads in here since I've been back, about how 'the blues needs to be mainstream again' and such cack, and I think that people here need to put this stuff into perspective. Really quickly, to avoid looking like morons.

At its foundations, the blues is simply a way of expressing, communicating and sharing experiences and very basic, carnal instincts that humanity has posessed ever since ever. 'The blues' won't ever go away... it's just expressed in different ways. Like Ray Charles said, you can find soul in anything if you look for it. I can hear as much passion, soul and art in the works of hardcore punk as I can in the blues... I can hear the places they were created and the raw feelings of their authors.

Bearing this in mind... protecting guitar techniques and such just for the sake of it is utterly moronic.

Ironically, there's a ton of excellent music being made in the blues genre that most people on here never discuss. It's groundbreaking stuff, too, in the blues tradition. R.L. Burnside's final album hit me in the same way Son House did when I first heard him. Also, guys like Eric Sardinas and Brian T. Curran are playing acoustic blues that is true to the original stuff but relevant to modern life.

In fact, in some ways, acoustic blues has never been more alive. So maybe people here need to think outside their Eric Clapton/John Mayer/SRV box and find out what's going on at the grass roots.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
I like my box, but nice suggestion.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
I kinda see your point.. However Im assuming what people are reffering to is the fact that blues isn't as popular as it might have once been, I don't think this is neccesarily a bad thing... But as for the finding soul in anything comment I couldn't disagree with that more.. Genres such as hardcore punk don't have "soul" they have an image, a gimmick, they are kids who are pissed off about something trivial so instead of learning how to play an instrument they pick something up and decide to play it simple and fast and scream a lot.
I keep the wolf from the door, but he calls me on the phone, tells me all the ways that he's gonna mess me up, steal all my children if I don't pay the ransom, but I'll never see them again If I squeal to the cops.
And don't limit yourself to the blues either.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
People don't seem to realize that blues is and always will have a strong faithful following because blues is genuine and generally isn't waited down with cliches. Blues musicians are real people with real opinions and real lives they do what expresses them and ignore what is popular and what is easy to sell. Many people want to hear music that is cheap, and easy(i.e. Rap, Hip-Hop, etc.) these people are turned off by music that sticks to them (i.e. Blues, Jazz, Classical, etc.) but other people want to hear someone pour out there heart into a song and these people will keep blues alive and well.
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
PM RIC4003 or timmEH to join
There is way too much John Mayaer talk on this forum. John Mayer sucks! Live with it!

Anyway, blues is still there, just not as much as it once was. While Hubert Sumlin, Buddy Guy, Bo Diddley, B.B. King, Charlie Musselwhite and Chuck Berry are still touring alive, people will still go see them, but only people that were already fans. The main problem is that mostly just musicians listen to blues. People here Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters songs on their Eric Clapton and Steppenwolf C.D.s, just most don't look back to where it started. Musicians know that all music from the 20th century is a biproduct of the blues.

The only way I for blues to become oce again popular and, God willing, overtake the modern pop punk **** of today is to expose people to it. Where I live There are four classic rock stations that play nothing older than the 60's and countless crap rock station. Zero blues stations.

Thankfully there are a few newer blues players out there which may slip into modern rock stations. Robert Cray and Doyle Bramhill may help to repopularize the blues, hopefully to an exent where pop-punk is forgotten. I'm very pessimistic.

And my last point: It doesn't really matter to me if it is repopularized, I can listen to it either way. If it doesn't, however, making it as a musician is gonna be tough.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by Wolf_At_TheDoor
Genres such as hardcore punk don't have "soul" they have an image, a gimmick, they are kids who are pissed off about something trivial so instead of learning how to play an instrument they pick something up and decide to play it simple and fast and scream a lot.

What a load of crap. Seriously. I think you need to cut away the popular stuff and actually listen to real bands, yeah? Jeez...

Quote by Resiliance
And don't limit yourself to the blues either.

Agreed.

Quote by ufossuck
Thankfully there are a few newer blues players out there which may slip into modern rock stations. Robert Cray and Doyle Bramhill may help to repopularize the blues, hopefully to an exent where pop-punk is forgotten. I'm very pessimistic.

And my last point: It doesn't really matter to me if it is repopularized, I can listen to it either way. If it doesn't, however, making it as a musician is gonna be tough.

I think you missed the point. And anyway, passing fads will always fade away.

I like how one guy put it a while ago, he said this about john mayer "but we dont need blues to be brough back by some upperclass pretty boy who thinks hes gods gift to music. we don't need blues brought back period, if it became mainstream we'd just have a bunch of ****ty blues. just like how now metal is going mainstream and were getting **** like avenged sevenfold who go "we're straight up metal" but really they are just straight up not good."
Blues are easy to play but hard to feel.

-Jimi Hendrix
i dont really want it to be mainstream. i like playing something different. its funny cuz nobody really listens to blues, but everyone likes it. for example, if i have a guitar and i start playing a cool shuffle like pride and joy, everyone likes it. but nobody really listens to it anymore but im fine with that. its what makes me and people like me different from the other people and guitar players. i really wouldnt want to see it come into mainstream and turn into crap that everyone plays like some other types of music have become(hip hop for instance, was better in the old days). i wouldnt want people just liking it because its "in" or something.
Ah you're back, finally sense has returned to this forum. I agree with everything you say. I like Clapton (i hate mayer), but I agree that he's not the be all and end all of blues music. If anything he barely consists an 8th of a percent of the music.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by Derigiberble
Ah you're back, finally sense has returned to this forum.

You knows it

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i dont really want it to be mainstream. i like playing something different. its funny cuz nobody really listens to blues, but everyone likes it. for example, if i have a guitar and i start playing a cool shuffle like pride and joy, everyone likes it. but nobody really listens to it anymore but im fine with that. its what makes me and people like me different from the other people and guitar players. i really wouldnt want to see it come into mainstream and turn into crap that everyone plays like some other types of music have become(hip hop for instance, was better in the old days). i wouldnt want people just liking it because its "in" or something.

yeah thats how i feel about it, or like we would have a bunch of kids that know nothing about blues being like "im guessing people like john mayer influence you" without knowing about the real legends of blues.

-Jimi Hendrix
i just don't understand some of your comments. i'm sure some of the people who post in this forum are middle class white people, most of which play far worse than john mayer. what if you "made it" to a certain extent, playing the blues. would you apply the same logic describing yourself. he likes blues, so he plays it. he's also famous. that's all there is to it. now, of course you can think he sucks at guitar (i personally disagree). but that really has nothing to do with saying that he thinks he's god's gift to music or any other character attacks you can have. i can dig up some arrogant comment from anybody's favorite guitarist, it's just that people are going to let things go if they actually enjoy the music of the person. these statements how you don't want blues popularized by so and so...again, what if you popularized blues. or your middle class white friend, if you don't fit that description. are you a poser, or just a musician who got a ****ing break. sheesh.

about being upset if people credit mayer instead of bb for inspiration...the only reason anybody would care is if they know a whole ton about the blues. i'm sure there are subjects you don't know so much about. maybe you don't know so much about basketball, and said "oh that Yao Ming is class, what an awesome player, i wish i could play like he does". then i come in and call you an ignorant shmuck and tell you that you don't appreciate phenoms like hakeem olajuwan who shunned the spotlight after their retirement. gimme a break, it's just not fair.

on the other hand, i like a lot of what encore god said.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Last edited by sirpsycho85 at Aug 15, 2006,
^nah dude, when you really get into blues, like me i cant ever read enough about it, i have plenty of books on blues players like anything from Crossing the Delta-Robert Johnson and the invention of blues to Caught in the Crossfire-Stevie Ray Vaughan, almost any bio out there man. and john mayer wasnt some guy who played the blues and got famous, he was some pop guy who changed himself just to get famous, if your gonna be known for playing blues, you will be known, you shouldnt have to change yourself to do so. he even says in an interview it was all a plan he had since he was 13. here-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aaAwY-JThA

i still respect your comment though.

-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by blakehendrix at Aug 15, 2006,
Quote by blakehendrix
he even says in an interview it was all a plan he had since he was 13. here-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aaAwY-JThA

The whole thing reminds me of Charlie Simpson's 'I'll use Busted to get famous and then use the popularity to help me sell the music I actually like' tactic.

There is way too much John Mayaer talk on this forum. John Mayer sucks! Live with it!

Anyway, blues is still there, just not as much as it once was. While Hubert Sumlin, Buddy Guy, Bo Diddley, B.B. King, Charlie Musselwhite and Chuck Berry are still touring alive, people will still go see them, but only people that were already fans. The main problem is that mostly just musicians listen to blues. People here Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters songs on their Eric Clapton and Steppenwolf C.D.s, just most don't look back to where it started. Musicians know that all music from the 20th century is a biproduct of the blues.

QUOTE]

Ummm. Bo Diddley is dead. Sorry to burst your bubble there!
I dont think pure 'Blues' has the mass appeal which other genres like rock or metal have to ever be mainstream. Now, i like pure blues to an extent, but as a genre, it is repetitive- this is a fact, seeing as nearly all blues songs follow the same 12 bar structure. There are a lot of blues purists on this forum who wont like what im saying, but its true.

Now i dont know about the USA, but Blues has never been truly mainstream here in the UK- not even back int the 60's- There were the odd blues artist here and there who had a chart hit or 2, but they were never 'pure' blues artists, they were artists who took the blues, and fused it with other genres to make unique sounding music- like blues-rock as an example. Blues influenced music is what survived, or rather, the blues adapted, just like rock has adapted, new ideas were tried out by various artists, and the blues survived, in its adapted form.
Thats what music does- it adapts, it changes... new ideas are tried out. nobody can stop that from happening.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Last edited by ~1954~ at Aug 19, 2006,
Quote by greggybhoy
Ummm. Bo Diddley is dead. Sorry to burst your bubble there!

No he isn't. He recently did a radio ad for the station in Vancouver. He was promoting a The E Street guitarist, Little Steven's radio show. Tryin checking your facts with Wikipedia or Google before making false statements.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by ~1954~
I dont think pure 'Blues' has the mass appeal which other genres like rock or metal have to ever be mainstream. Now, i like pure blues to an extent, but as a genre, it is repetitive- this is a fact, seeing as nearly all blues songs follow the same 12 bar structure. There are a lot of blues purists on this forum who wont like what im saying, but its true.

Now i dont know about the USA, but Blues has never been truly mainstream here in the UK- not even back int the 60's- There were the odd blues artist here and there who had a chart hit or 2, but they were never 'pure' blues artists, they were artists who took the blues, and fused it with other genres to make unique sounding music- like blues-rock as an example. Blues influenced music is what survived, or rather, the blues adapted, just like rock has adapted, new ideas were tried out by various artists, and the blues survived, in its adapted form.
Thats what music does- it adapts, it changes... new ideas are tried out. nobody can stop that from happening.

thats true. 12 bars and turn it around. But every now and then someone comes along and takes it to a new level. You will see.
Quote by Encore_God
I've been browsing through the various threads in here since I've been back, about how 'the blues needs to be mainstream again' and such cack, and I think that people here need to put this stuff into perspective. Really quickly, to avoid looking like morons.

At its foundations, the blues is simply a way of expressing, communicating and sharing experiences and very basic, carnal instincts that humanity has posessed ever since ever. 'The blues' won't ever go away... it's just expressed in different ways. Like Ray Charles said, you can find soul in anything if you look for it. I can hear as much passion, soul and art in the works of hardcore punk as I can in the blues... I can hear the places they were created and the raw feelings of their authors.

Bearing this in mind... protecting guitar techniques and such just for the sake of it is utterly moronic.

Ironically, there's a ton of excellent music being made in the blues genre that most people on here never discuss. It's groundbreaking stuff, too, in the blues tradition. R.L. Burnside's final album hit me in the same way Son House did when I first heard him. Also, guys like Eric Sardinas and Brian T. Curran are playing acoustic blues that is true to the original stuff but relevant to modern life.

In fact, in some ways, acoustic blues has never been more alive. So maybe people here need to think outside their Eric Clapton/John Mayer/SRV box and find out what's going on at the grass roots.

Right on my brother!