this year in school im going to try out for the school band (rock ensemble)

and i need help picking a song to play to tryout with..

all the other years they played rock from 70's and 80's and some new stuff thrown in

so if you could please help me out to pick a song

thank you
Evidently The Who has some good basslines, but I'm not sure of what specific songs.

You could just do what a lot of people would suggest and play Anaesthesia (Pulling Teeth) as that is somewhat kinda impressive, or even the bass solo in Orion.

NIB or War Pigs by Black Sabbath

Aces High or Powerslave by Iron Maiden

Cowboys from Hell by Pantera
play YYZ by Rush and you'll impress him with your music reading skills, there are many time sign cahgnes
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Somehow I doubt that the school band will be playing any Cannibal Corpse...

My Generation would be nice - classic and some solos.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
A lot of earlier Allman Brother's tunes have great basslines, especially Whippin' Post. Maybe even a few late Beatles tunes. Cream would be another great band to look into. Jack Bruce is great.

Don't necessarly look at only hard rock songs, either. A lot of people are mentioning Pantera and GnR. Most school groups don't play stuff like that. And really, don't play Cannibal Corpse.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
It's true that most school groups don't play things like Pantera and GnR, but some of their songs do have good basslines, and it may show your level of skill to the teacher, regardless of genre.
Quote by Charlatan_001
It's true that most school groups don't play things like Pantera and GnR, but some of their songs do have good basslines, and it may show your level of skill to the teacher, regardless of genre.

Good Call. Try some Metallica. Not the hardest thing in the world to play, but it looks much more impressive when you're playing it. Master of Puppets would be a good one to try, or Battery (depending on whether you're looking for technicality or speed). Some More good songs to try are "Anti-Social" by Anthrax, it has a KILLER bass line. I love that song. "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden is another good one, but the very beginning and very end is pretty difficult, it's not only fast, but its hard to fret those particular notes in the time they do it. Oh well, gove it a shot

Good luck man.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
yyz or a song by the who
|_1√3 1|\| yΩ|_|® \/\/®|_D 93+ p\/\/n3d 1|\| 1\/11|\|3

I Love to Drink Bawls!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote by Charlatan_001

They do have good basslines, but what was the last time you tried out for a metal band playing jazz songs??? The teacher will probably want to see that you are able to play the music that the school band will play (meaning in the same genre). That will allow them to judge your skill and ability. Each genre has a totally different mood and feel to it, and the teacher is probably going to want to see that you are good enough and familiar with that 70's and 80's rock that the band is playing.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
A lot of earlier Allman Brother's tunes have great basslines, especially Whippin' Post. Maybe even a few late Beatles tunes. Cream would be another great band to look into. Jack Bruce is great.

Don't necessarly look at only hard rock songs, either. A lot of people are mentioning Pantera and GnR. Most school groups don't play stuff like that. And really, don't play Cannibal Corpse.

I agree. Bade, White Room, Sunshine of Your Love, Whippin' Post, all are recognizable and decent tunes.