well im lookng at a gibson sg, and i saw the faded ones taht are about 600$ and the standards are 1200$, so this is a huge price difference. im kinda on a bidget so im leaning toward the faded. the guy at giutar center kept on trying to convince me to buy the standard probly cause it is more expencive. so can someone tell me the differences between the 2. and is it worth the price difference
Buy the faded and put the dollar sign BEFORE the number.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
i say go for the standard. with the faded your just paying for the gibson name. the gibson sound actually starts to come out with the standard. if 1200 bucks is too much and u really want an sg, go for the epi g-400. $400 and its still better than the faded.
My Gear:

Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender 48th Street Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Martin Koa Acoustic
Some crappy unnamed bass
Well part of what people love is the finish on the gibsons...I dont know about it very well, but their nitro finishes cost a lot which is where a lot of that money goes.

Also the neck binding on the standard is suppose to be much better, and you get a hotter pickup at the bridge.

Also you get the inlays, which is purely cosmetic I guess but good inlays do cost a bit more, lol
I'd say the same thing that guitar freek said if you dont wan't to spend all that money go with an Epiphone G-400 it's not the best but better than faded for a better price.
Is the 400 really better than the faded? Damn, I'm getting that too.
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

<//////>~
I Looked online and I could not even find out what kind of pickups where in the epiphone G-400. I even checked the Epiphone site, and it did not even say what kind of pickups it used, which just means that they are too cheap to mention...

The Gibson special faded has gibson 490R and 490T humbuckers which are good humbuckers. Not the best but still good solid pickups. The standard has a 498T at the bridge I believe, which is an even hotter pickup for that more crunch hard rock tone.

The epiphone version does not say what kind of bridge it had, so its probably a knock off version of the gibson tun-o-matic bridge found on the sg faded special and standard.

I mean the epiphone g-400 is good for 400$, but I think the quality of the gibson faded is much higher and would last longer then the epiphone. But in your defense I have never played a G-400 epiphone...but I have played a gibson faded sg special and I liked it.

But I think saying that the G-400 is better then a gibson faded sg special is incorrect. but thats just my opinion
As long as we're talking epi vs. gibson let me ask someone: is the Epi Les Paul Standard ($400 by me) a better value than the Gibson SG Faded? ($650-700)
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
I disagree that it's a "worse" guitar than the standard.

Faded series are not lesser guitars built with lower grade woods as some would assume. The only real difference is the finish. Higher end Gibsons are sanded almost glassy smooth and given thick nitrocellulose finishes, often on figured (expensive) maple tops. Nitrocellulose is an expensive paint, the process takes a lot of time from the work involved in wet sanding and buffing, as well as the curing time (weeks).

Faded models generally have the same hardware and electronics as the higher models, and have the same grade woods. The big cost different is the fast, cheap process for the finish. They aren't sanded down completely and purposely left a little rough. They also receive only a modest amount of finish spray that dries quickly. This means they can produce more guitars in less time. And of course, time is money... Really, the only genuine issue I can see some people taking with this guitar is the rough finish on the neck. It didn't bother me at all. It felt wierd at first, but I quickly adjusted. But I'm not a shredder, so über neck speed is not a real requirement for me. But for that I did play, I don't find they slowed ne down at all.

I've played a few Faded models (V, LP, SG), and in several cases, I've found them to sound better than the more expensive models. My guess is that's probably to the more natural wood resonance you get with the thin finish than the thick nitrocelulose finish on the more expensive models. But that's just speculation on my part. I do think they're good guitars and came close to buying a Faded V a couple of years ago. It sounded and played better than the standard Vs the shop had. If I could have just convinced my wife that I needed another guitar, I would have it.

So try both guitars out. Give them a good play for a long time. Then decide for yourself if the Standard is really $600 better than the Faded.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
i really dont think im gonna spend 1200$, its more a a decision between the epiphone g400 and the faded gibson
But Crunch, isn't the $600 one the "Faded Special"?

Faded might be fine, but I highly doubt that a special is up to Standard quality, in any respect.
Quote by Crunchmeister
I disagree that it's a "worse" guitar than the standard.

Faded series are not lesser guitars built with lower grade woods as some would assume. The only real difference is the finish. Higher end Gibsons are sanded almost glassy smooth and given thick nitrocellulose finishes, often on figured (expensive) maple tops. Nitrocellulose is an expensive paint, the process takes a lot of time from the work involved in wet sanding and buffing, as well as the curing time (weeks).

Faded models generally have the same hardware and electronics as the higher models, and have the same grade woods. The big cost different is the fast, cheap process for the finish. They aren't sanded down completely and purposely left a little rough. They also receive only a modest amount of finish spray that dries quickly. This means they can produce more guitars in less time. And of course, time is money... Really, the only genuine issue I can see some people taking with this guitar is the rough finish on the neck. It didn't bother me at all. It felt wierd at first, but I quickly adjusted. But I'm not a shredder, so über neck speed is not a real requirement for me. But for that I did play, I don't find they slowed ne down at all.

I've played a few Faded models (V, LP, SG), and in several cases, I've found them to sound better than the more expensive models. My guess is that's probably to the more natural wood resonance you get with the thin finish than the thick nitrocelulose finish on the more expensive models. But that's just speculation on my part. I do think they're good guitars and came close to buying a Faded V a couple of years ago. It sounded and played better than the standard Vs the shop had. If I could have just convinced my wife that I needed another guitar, I would have it.

So try both guitars out. Give them a good play for a long time. Then decide for yourself if the Standard is really $600 better than the Faded.

I agree.

threadstarter : I have a faded special and the only bad thing about (not even too bad) is the bridge pickup. If you want to use this guitar for more than rock and hardrock it would be wise to put a hotter pickup in there (though you don't have to). I like it very much!

Oh, don't go Epiphone! Bad pickups compared to the Gibson special faded + made in china + therefore Chinese wiring.
Quote by JorisBlack

Oh, don't go Epiphone! Bad pickups compared to the Gibson special faded + made in china + therefore Chinese wiring.

Ahem, Korea. And high end epiphones > low end gibsons imo, but to each their own I guess. Alot of people prefer epiphone to gibson in almost every aspect.
I have not been impressed with any of the faded's I have played, but that's just based on my experiances.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Danno13
^Not anymore!

The new Epi LP and SG models below Elitist are Chinese-made.

Oh alright, my bad.

I heard something about Epiphone breaking back off of Gibson. As doubtful as I am, I don't suppose that's true?
i like the standard because its more original and also the faded looks ugly
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
I didn't check which was which in the faded series. But I still think the SG Special Faded would be a better guitar all around than a G-400. The only thing that's higher quality on the Epi is the Grover tuners.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Think of it this way, if the faded is that much cheaper than the standard, and the standard is usually considered to be the baseline product, your getting less than the baseline, so its hardly even a real gibson, especially considering that the epiphone elitist sgs you can get on ebay for 500 bucks are way better even though they don't say gibson on the headstock, that guitar is a trap.
Epi Elitist '61 Reissue SG or Jap Epi G-400, FTW!
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by Danno13
^Not anymore!

The new Epi LP and SG models below Elitist are Chinese-made.

I don't know I bought an Epi LP and it says made in Korea on the headstock.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
The biggest difference between the two (other than the faded look) is that the neck on the faded doesn't have the binding that the standard does, making it play a lot less smooth. If you're asking us what the difference is between the two, you very obviously haven't played either. Go to a store and play the two guitars side-by-side and you'll immediately see why the standard is twice the price of the faded.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by rockxwl
The biggest difference between the two (other than the faded look) is that the neck on the faded doesn't have the binding that the standard does, making it play a lot less smooth. If you're asking us what the difference is between the two, you very obviously haven't played either. Go to a store and play the two guitars side-by-side and you'll immediately see why the standard is twice the price of the faded.

i played them side by side and the standard put the special to shame.. the bridge pickup in the standard was so much hotter than the one on the special. the neck on the standard played a lot smoother and faster than the special, and i couldnt keep the special in tune to save my life

go standard

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
O.K this is it! I own both the faded Sg and flying V. The only difference between the faded series and the standards is the finish. One poster said the Standard is the baseline guitar for gibson, he is full of sh*t. The series goes Special, Standard, Then Custom. I just bought a faded Flying V and it kicks the f*ck out of any Epiphone copy ever created. So does the faded SG. If you want a true made in America Gibson guitar without the expensive price buy the faded. I love the the faded V. It nails any hard rock sound ever created. If you play anything from blues to metal get the V.
The faded doesn't have nearly the standard of excellence as the real thing. I tried a faded SG before. Absolutely terrible. God awful paint job, even for faded, neck was poorly constructed, pickups were all out of place and wobbly, tuners sucked. I would never buy it.
I love my faded Gibson SG.
"I sorta don't trust anyone who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"
-Jack White
Talk about bumping an old thread...

I found this thread while searching for info on the faded SG. After much research on the interweb and playing Gibson standard and faded SGs as well as the Epi faded SG, I purchased the Epi faded SG. Why you ask? The differences between the Gibson faded SG and the Epi G400 faded SG are pickups, electronics, tuning pegs and veneer. Although the Gibby comes with better pickups, I wanted my own choice of pickups so they would have been replaced with either guitar. Although the Epi comes with Alpha pots as does the Gibby, I wanted to replace them with CTS push/pull pots on either guitar. As for the tuning pegs, I prefer the Grovers, no need to change them. So now I have spent less on the Epi with mods than I would have spent on the Gibby without mods and I have the guitar that sounds and plays the way I like it. My luthier also told me that although the G400 series is made in China, it is assembled in the USA. As for looks, no it does not say Gibson on the headstock, but there is no seam on the body where it is glued together. Epi places a mahogany veneer over the mahogany 3 piece body so there is no visible seem. Now my Epi has pickups made in England, pots made in USA with wiring made in the USA.

Is the stock Gibby faded SG better than the stock faded G400? Yes. Is the stock faded Gibby SG better than my modified G400? I think not. Most guitar players will at one time or another mod their axes and replace parts. Why pay more now for a guitar that you are going to replace the parts.
How has this thread been necro'd TWICE? *reported*
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB