Hey,
I was recently jamming with a friend and he was showing me how he can strum really fast complicated rhythms. I was wondering how you learn how to do things like that, he said I needed to Loosen Up my picking hand. Anyone have any good advice on how to do that?

Thanks
I have no clue how I did it either. Kind of feel it? Someone was once impressed I could play Pet Townshend style stuff with those super fast complicated rhythm chords.. and it was just hearing it.. thinking of playing it, then my hand eventually just kinda.. loosened up till I could do it.

Basically listen to songs with wierd strumming patterns, think to yourself you are going to play it, hear it in your head and just.. lose control?
Quote by TimmyPage06
I have no clue how I did it either. Kind of feel it? Someone was once impressed I could play Pet Townshend style stuff with those super fast complicated rhythm chords.. and it was just hearing it.. thinking of playing it, then my hand eventually just kinda.. loosened up till I could do it.

Basically listen to songs with wierd strumming patterns, think to yourself you are going to play it, hear it in your head and just.. lose control?

Even though you think that sounds strange, I have had stuff like that work before.
Get it drunk!

Maybe he means to more swing your hand via your wrist.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
There's this one thing when you play fast and intense, is that you'll get tired easily and wont have enough energy to play cleanly till the end (unless you train everyday of course). Dont become so intense in a song which have a lot of mood swings in em coz you may get into trouble getting those fast strumming and switching to slower tempo. There is an upside if you strum hard though, if done properly you can get more chunk and heavy sound from it.

You should just relax and try to adapt with it, try to strum/pick with minimal less energy but will sound just as same or else you will be getting pain and whatnot.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
just relax your wrist and get a natural strumming motion. i used to think i had a really weird looking strumming/picking motion, everyone else's looked a lot more fluid. then i played in front of the mirror and my strumming actually looked really good, i just never realized it.

so it's probably just stuff he's learned and worked on while you haven't and you're being easily impressed, just work on whatever he's playing and you'll get it.