So, I'm fairly new to the guitar, and I came across a tab with
---2---
-------
-------
---2---
--------

Is there some kind of technique used for string skipping? I suppose my question is, what's the correct way to play this?

Thanks in advance.
What I do is put my fingers on the corrosponding frets and deaden the strings in between. Dunno exactly if this is the right technique or not, but it seems to work for me.
idk if this is the "correct" way to do it, but i either use two fingers to pick it, or mute the strings (by pressing them slightly against the string) between the two fretted(the two 2's u've got there) notes and play it that way, sorry if that's confusing
if ur finger picking then use ur thumb along with ur index,middle, or ring finger. with a pick, use the pick and middle/ring finger. keep on practicing and u'll get it.

Edit: the replies above me have the wrong playing method. u would be playing extra (dead/muted) notes and will not sound like the original. only way is by picking only those two strings together if u want to play it exactly as the original.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 13, 2006,
actually there are assumed x's in between the strings. Your first finger would be pressing down the lower note while the body of the finger lightly rests on the other strings to mute them. Or you could use a pick and strike the top note with your right ring finger
Quote by evening_crow
if ur finger picking then use ur thumb along with ur index,middle, or ring finger. with a pick, use the pick and middle/ring finger. keep on practicing and u'll get it.

Edit: the replies above me have the wrong playing method. u would be playing extra (dead/muted) notes and will not sound like the original. only way is by picking only those two strings together if u want to play it exactly as the original.

that depends on which song that tab is from....in some songs the guitarist would play that with muted strings, in some they would be fingerpicked, as in a guitarist picking an octave and muting the fifth to get extra sound without creating a meaty power chord, versus something that is actually supposed to be fingerpicked.

now if that is from a song that is supposed to be fingerpicked then you are right, but we don't know that.
Last edited by vantage4 at Aug 13, 2006,
From that tab, i would strike the A? string (your guitar have 5 strings) with my pick and the B string with my ring finger. If the song requires you to strum it, there would've been Xs in them. One more thing about tab, most of it are done by normal ppl, not the band itself, so dont expect it to be correct all the time. Listen to the song and determine yourself which goes along.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic