Ive noticed a lot lately that lots of songs will have a guitar riff going with a completely different bass riff at the same time. I would think that having both riffs going at once would sound strange and confusing. Is it possible that when we listen we are hearing both riffs as one or do we just hear to them individually?
"My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" -Mike Tyson
Music in this case is all the instruments together, not just the guitar. Old game music often has awesome bass tracks, different to the melody and other parts of it.
I love this thread. I've often wondered the same thing, but thanks to the miracle of music, it's easily explainable....I think. It's pretty much a matter of finding the right notes, scales, etc. In fact, think of bass lines as guitar riffs to go with your rhythm. I have discovered that if you look at it like that, then you've got a good idea for your songs. The only difference is that the bass lines could be simpler or more complex depending on what you're after in your music. A good example of bass lines coexisting with guitar is Franz Ferdinand's "The Outsiders." I don't know if you like those guys, but they sure know how to accomplish what you're asking, especially on this song. Cheers.
Quote by madcapandrew
I love this thread. I've often wondered the same thing, but thanks to the miracle of music, it's easily explainable....I think. It's pretty much a matter of finding the right notes, scales, etc. In fact, think of bass lines as guitar riffs to go with your rhythm. I have discovered that if you look at it like that, then you've got a good idea for your songs. The only difference is that the bass lines could be simpler or more complex depending on what you're after in your music. A good example of bass lines coexisting with guitar is Franz Ferdinand's "The Outsiders." I don't know if you like those guys, but they sure know how to accomplish what you're asking, especially on this song. Cheers.

yes, I do like franz ferdinand. I just listened to the outsiders song and that is a great example of a bass riff with the guitar riff.
"My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" -Mike Tyson
Counterpoint is the music theory term for two seperate lines playing at the same time that sound good individually and better when put together, basically.

However, music theory in general explains how one could play something different and have it sound good with something else.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I just analyze a lot of guitar and bass lines to build a sort of mental library of what works and what I like. Learning the theory behind it would be cool though. Especially being able to write upper parts and bass parts in a classical style.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out