does anybody know where to find a triple coil pickup? (looks like three single coils next to eachother)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
That looks more like a humbucker and a single-coil next to each other. But I'm just going by the screws next to the pick-up/s
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by thatgu1targuy
its called a motherbucker, look it up on like google

nah a motherbucker is the same size of a regular humbucker. Yeah it is probably a humbucker and a single coil next to each other?
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Looking at the height adjustment screws it appears to be a humbucker and a single. There's a selector switch (I assume) but I wonder if the middle setting is a kill switch...

It probably sounds like a bridge hum, position 2 of a fat strat, and a bridge single depending on how it switches.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by GnGonzalesjoe
nah a motherbucker is the same size of a regular humbucker. Yeah it is probably a humbucker and a single coil next to each other?

he asked where to find a pickup with 3 singlecoils, so searching motherbucker might help. so even if that picture is of a humbucker and a singlecoil, thats not really what hes asking for. im almost 100% sure a motherbucker isnt the same size as a regular humbucker, they do make "motherbuckers" with a singlecoil and a singlecoil sized humbucker (hotrails i think) but there not real motherbuckers. i might be wrong, if i am sorry i doubted you lol
Last edited by thatgu1targuy at Aug 13, 2006,
Quote by GnGonzalesjoe

maybe it a triple coil pickup too, maybe it has a 3-way switch, one position for every pup
Last edited by deluxity at Aug 14, 2006,

this is a bass pickup with three coils, so, do they make these for a guitar?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
having 2 coils is there to eliminate the hum from nearby electronics, hence the name humbucker. having a triple coil pickup is basicly going to have the same sound, so its not really worth it IMO unless you just want the look. of course you may think they sound better, in which case im gonna shut up. well, i think ibanez used to make guitars with 3 coil pickups, but i cant seem to find them. i thinks its worth looking in to, but for the life of me i cant remember what model it was that had them.

i searched on google images for "motherbucker" and got this. still can't find where to get these pickups, or how to wire them. Anybody know how to wire pickups together? (like three or four single coils)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
a motherbucker has 4 coils but is the same size as a humbucker
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
LOL, that's just crazy.

So the guitar from spinal tap (the orange red one) has 8 singlecoils? lol j/k

It's probably 3 single coils, either way, it won't be humbucking unless one of them is magnetically neutral, which means useless.
i think each of the coils has a killswitch, so you get a bunch of different pickup combinations, any idea how to wire single coils together and wire them to killswitches?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
The 1987 Ibanez 540 Pro has 1 humbucker + 1 single coil just like pic below. It includes 2 pickup switch, a 3-way mini switch and a 2-way mini switch. This would probably closely resembles a H-S guitar but not the same IMO.

The electronics
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
could you make a schematic for wiring a humbucker and a single together? i'd like to make one with some kind of switch combination so i could single out each coil or mix them together.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
It woudn't sound the same as a guitar with 3 SC pickups close together, that's for sure. For the most part, when you're 'combining' pickups with your guitar's switch, you're essentially connecting the pickups in parallel with each other. Note that doesn't reduce the hum of the guitar at all, and can actually make it worse in some cases. If the coils are used in 'bucker' mode, coils will be wired in series, which basically produces a higher output.

Now I'm sure the wiring capabilities on a pickup like that are pretty limitless, giving you the option of mixing and matching coils in different configurations. But as a basic, pickup, this would be one loud motherphucker.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by shredmeiser101
does anybody know where to find a triple coil pickup? (looks like three single coils next to eachother)

if you're just gonna put your coils like this, dont you think its a sad waste that you cant change your sound anymore depending on where you pluck the strings? (between neck and bridge)
Quote by shredmeiser101

i searched on google images for "motherbucker" and got this. still can't find where to get these pickups, or how to wire them. Anybody know how to wire pickups together? (like three or four single coils)

that is just a humbucker and a single coil next to each other. Under the photo where that photo came from it says MM's Motherbucker. MM's maybe means Mighty Mite.
On ebay you can buy a pair of MM Motherbucker that looks exactly like those in the photo . Add a mighty mite white single coil and you got what's in that photo.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTHERBUCKER-HUMBUCKER-GUITAR-PICKUPS-WHITE_W0QQitemZ230016917107QQihZ013QQcategoryZ41426QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
anyone got a schematic for wiring a humbucker and a single-coil together? and how to wire it to three separate kill switches.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101
anyone got a schematic for wiring a humbucker and a single-coil together? and how to wire it to three separate kill switches.

why three kill switch?
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Uh... the humbucker sounds hotter than the single coil, right? Maybe the triple coil sounds even hotter. I saw a triple-coil model that can fit into a humbucker spot. I would reccomend that for those who wish to try that three-coil action. It's best to try that first unless you want to risk the entire guitar.