I'm looking for a distortion pedal that is a lot less reverbish and less extra noise than my current distortion pedal.

This is what gear i'm using.

1975 Fender Twin Reverb amp
Ibanez RG1570 with DiMarzio air nortan(neck) and bill lawrence xl-500(bridge).
and the pedal i'm currently using is an old ass 70's/80's MXR Distortion.

It sounds pretty good but i would like to see if there is a distortion pedal that will fit my gear better.

Thx for responses.
i use the digitech hot rod pedal through the clean channel of of marshall mgdfx 30 watt...has a good variety of tone and i think it sounds great...also has a lot of distortion when turned all the way up for some real heavy stuff...i think it sounds great so thats my suggestion
Are you looking for an actual distortion, or just an overdrive? If overdrive, it is my duty to recommend the Digitech Bad Monkey.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Try the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. It has somewhat of a built in EQ to tweak the sound.
Quote by fireman464
Try the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. It has somewhat of a built in EQ to tweak the sound.

No no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

*hits with newspaper*

The Metal Zone is the coldest and most lifeless distortion pedal I have ever played. Do not touch it with an eleven foot pole, which is what you would use to touch things you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.......which you wouldn't use to touch the metal zone either.

No.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

*hits with newspaper*

The Metal Zone is the coldest and most lifeless distortion pedal I have ever played. Do not touch it with an eleven foot pole, which is what you would use to touch things you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.......which you wouldn't use to touch the metal zone either.

No.

The Keeley mods sound way better IMO, but still, you should never use a distortion pedal with a tube amp, reason: it makes tubes sound like SS. Look at maybe a TS9 or two.
Quote by El Codyo
The Keeley mods sound way better IMO.

The Keeley mod is great.
Hmmm, tested the sound bytes of the hot zone and the bad monkey, i think overdrive is what I'm looking for cuz my distortion seems pretty good now.

Any other overdrive suggestions? Opinions on the bad monkey?
Quote by Buckk Dich
Opinions on the bad monkey?

What? You're too good to blindly follow my advice?

Screw you guys...I'm going home.
How does a Digitech DF-7 sound?

-Ibanez TS808 model
-DOD Preamp/OD 250 model
-Boss DS-1 model
-ProCo Rat model
-Digitech Metal Master model
-Boss MT-2 Metal Zone model
-EHX Big Muff Pi model

May not sound like the originals, but they sound close enough to replicate most bands that use the pedal models.

$100.
get an overdrive pedal if you got a tube amp. like a sd-1 or tubescreamer.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Visual Sounds Route 66 American Overdrive I use it with my Fender Blues DeVille, it sounds heavenly. Smooth creamy overdrive, tubescreamer sound. Got one for sale over in the Gear Ads forum.
Fender Special Edition Koa Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Visual Sound Jeckyll & Hyde Overdrive
Fender Blues DeVille 2x12
has anybody tried the Krank Distortus Maximus? I know Krank is a bad word around here, but I'd be curious to hear from someone that has tried the pedal.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
What kind of music do you want to play?

And some stuff about your amp:
When CBS took over Fender in the mid 60's, they changed alot of the amp circuits. From late 66-67 onwards the CBS engineers tried to make the Fender amps as clean as possible. This lead to a huge amount of "inverse feedback" that is meant to keep the headroom as high as possible.
This cuts down on distortion, and any distortion that does occur, sounds bad. You can boost the preamp tubes into an overdrive, but the power amp will still remain relatively sterile and lifeless.
Your money would be better spent taking your amp to a tube amp tech and having some mods done. These mods are very simple, and shouldn't cost much, but will make the overdrive/distortion hugely better. You can even do it on your own, if you're dedicated(I did).

Hope that was somewhat informative.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
the Boss OS-2 is good stuff. I like it better than the Jekyll and Hyde, but it is similar, the whole OD/distortion thing... then again, that could be because the two guys I know who use it play through an AVT and an MG. So that's not really fair.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Quote by fireman464

with a twin reverb? how dare you sir, you insult me.
That looks pretty damn good for what he needs.

What I'd recommend is you buy a few overdrive pedals.

Or you could do them mods Pink said, if you find it necessary.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
jesus, for the last time, GOOD distortion pedals sound FINE through tube amps. if you want the tone of an overdrive pedal through a tube amp, then obviously buy an overdrive.

but if you want to turn something like a fender into a metal machine, it's doubtful an OD might do it- or at least, you're going to have to crank the drive/gain control on it, which will, in turn, that's right, make your tube amp sound kind of solid state.

also, some people like the tone of a distortion pedal through a tube amp. you need a good pedal. it also needs to not have "metal" in the title, as, like an od, you'll get the best results from using the pedal to boost what's already there, not by totally taking over the tone.

Take a look at the HBE Big D pedal. some of the modes on it are pretty overdrivey anyway.

and take a look at those mods pink queen suggested.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by El Codyo
The Keeley mods sound way better IMO, but still, you should never use a distortion pedal with a tube amp, reason: it makes tubes sound like SS. Look at maybe a TS9 or two.

Huh? I have a Hot Rod Deluxe and I have a DS-1 and it sounds good through this amp. It helps when you need more than OD, which I only occasionally want and could not get any other way with my amp.

-Greg
I'd recommend a Boss OD-3, best overdrive pedal they make. It doesn't mask the tone of your amp and works well as a booster when you back the drive off. I'd get an eq pedal too, you've got a decent tube amp and high output pickups - you probably don't actually need more distortion, just more control over the tone. It took me 15 years to get an EQ pedal, because let's face it, they aren't the most exciting of prospects! If you've got a good ear for tone get an EQ pedal first - Behringer do a dirt cheap one, cost me about £13! If that still doesn't do it look at an Overdrive pedal. Haven't tried one, but i hear the Blues Driver is good too.

Under no circumstances touch a Boss MT-2 - the fizziest, messiest tone-sucking box of junk you'll ever find. In fact, don't even look at one...
Quote by steven seagull
I'd recommend a Boss OD-3, best overdrive pedal they make. It doesn't mask the tone of your amp and works well as a booster when you back the drive off. I'd get an eq pedal too, you've got a decent tube amp and high output pickups - you probably don't actually need more distortion, just more control over the tone. It took me 15 years to get an EQ pedal, because let's face it, they aren't the most exciting of prospects! If you've got a good ear for tone get an EQ pedal first - Behringer do a dirt cheap one, cost me about £13! If that still doesn't do it look at an Overdrive pedal. Haven't tried one, but i hear the Blues Driver is good too.

Under no circumstances touch a Boss MT-2 - the fizziest, messiest tone-sucking box of junk you'll ever find. In fact, don't even look at one...

I concur, I also have a Blues Driver, which is a very good sounding pedal.

-Greg
I like the fact that it's called a Blues Driver, and it's also blue....

When you look into it stuff like the Metal Zone doesn't get used that much outside of bedrooms, it make's loads of exciting noise on a crappy amp but once you start cranking up the volume the sound you get is unworkable. Yes it has a more useful EQ section than most pedals, but if that's you're reason for buying it buy an EQ pedal! The most important ingredient for good distortion is volume, get the power tubes working and use that as the basis for your sound. Otherwise you'll just end up with the old wasp in a jamjar effect.

Boss do a lot of good stuff, but i think that's because they feel guilty for creating the Metal Zone.
Interesting test I did when I got my Hot Rod Deluxe... I played something through the drive channel with modest overdrive dialed in. then i changed to the clean channel and adjusted the blues driver so it sounded close. then I A-B'd back and forth and the blues driver did a very respectable job of approximating the tube od sound.
So my point is that although there is no substitute for actual tubes being overdriven, the blues driver through my tube amp sounded sweet.

Any you are right, boss should be sorry about the metal zone, i tried one at daddys over the weekend that they had on the boss demo pedalboard, through a vox ac15cc1, and can confirm that it sucks.

-greg

-Greg
Well, I have both the Boss OD3 and the Blues Driver, and they're both brilliant for their own things.

The OD3 is a great transparent booster that thickens up the tone when level is up, and makes everything sound better (works amazingly with fuzz)

The Blues Driver is great as a booster, but I prefer it as a seperate channel type-thing, I set the gain highish, and it just sound great, very classic rock-ish, think Cream.
Don't be afraid to care"

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say....you don't really notice the OD3 until you turn it off.
I can tell when it's on, although there's been a few occasions where I've played for hours, and not realised it was on....

It is a great pedal though, really warm.
Don't be afraid to care"

So, at this point we have established:

1) OD-3 good
2) BD-2 good
3) metal zone bad
4) ?
ive never heard of this company before, but i played a catalinbread teaser stallion and it was AWESOME for overdrive, distortion, and feedbacky fun.
dont listen to the digitechs and metal pedals. There is a band called explosions in the sky and they have a fender twin reverb and a big muff pi distortion pedal. it sounds incredible.
Ibanez RG770DX /w Floyd Rose & Stock Pickups
Aria AK-80 Classical Concert Guitar
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Heet Sound Ebow