Page 1 of 2
These are the pedals I'm looking at buying. Not all at once, but over the next few months. Are they good choices? I'm looking at playing a lot of stuff, so versatility is important. I'm completely open to suggestions for other pedals or additions to the list. Cost isn't hugely important, as I'll be buying them slowly, but I'd prefer pedals under $150.

Distortion: Pro Co RAT2 Distortion
Wah: Dunlop 535Q Wah
Phaser: Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter
Chorus: Boss CE5 Chorus Ensemble
Delay: Boss DD6 Digital Delay
EQ: Danelectro DJ14 Fish and Chips 7-band EQ
Octave: Danelectro DJ12 Chilli Dog Octave - OR - Danelectro DJ13 French Toast Octave/distortion

Would a noise gate be necessary with this many pedals on my pedalboard? Would a tuner pedal be a good idea as well?

Any advice/recommendations would be really helpful!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Distortion looks good.
Wah is decent, but a Vox would be better.
Phaser is great.
Chorus is great.
Delay is great.
EQ is ehhh... Maybe try to get the Boss EQ.
Octave is not so great. Look at the MXR Blue Box.

You will probably want a noise gate. A tuner pedal wont be needed, but it may be a little useful if you gig. The only thing is, in the sun at outside gigs, the lights of pedals are usually hard to see, so it will be hard to see the tuner.
def. go withe the 535q wah, the chorus, i would go for a eh small clone, and that paired with a small stone is....
*orgasmic*
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
Quote by bob311
def. go withe the 535q wah, the chorus, i would go for a eh small clone, and that paired with a small stone is....
*orgasmic*

Yea the Small Clone would be good, but its not as versitile as the Boss Chorus.
If you're spending (eventually) that much money then you should get a new amp (eventually) c'mon! You should know that by now, I expected better from you!
Having briefly owned said chorus, I would advise against it. I found it cold, I just couldn't get a decent sound out of it. I ended up returning it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
a bluebox is ok but u gota use it with a boost or a distrotion/overdrive to get it loud, or u could mod it
Lol seriously, with all that money you could get a DSL 401 or another JCM 2000/900 combo lol.
Nothing wrong with that Fish N Chips. Just like the GE7 but less noise.

I'd consider the Whine-O wah as well. Everything else looks fine.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I'm planning on upgrading my amp soon as well, so please stick to the topic of pedals.

So, would the Small Clone be a better choice for a chorus pedal than the Boss CE5? I don't mind if it's not *quite* as versatile if it's a better pedal.

Which Vox wah's should I be looking at? I haven't heard many, so I'd definetly like to look into them.

And what's wrong with the Danelectro French Toast Distortion/octave pedal? I know Omar from The Mars Volta uses one, so it can't be THAT bad.

What would be a good noise gate? And would one really be necessary?

Finally, would the Ibanez DE7 Delay be as good of a choice as the Boss? It's roughly half the price, and the Boss is basically the most expensive pedal on the list. Is the DE7 any good?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
For an Octave I would suggest a Digitech Whammy, as that has different octave/harmony effects in it... except its $200... i got mine off ebay for $120 though...

And I also recommend the small clone chorus... i've tried one out and i plan on purchasing that and a weeping demon soon.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Ok - I think I'll go with the Small Clone Chorus over the CE5. It sounds a bit better to me, and is still about the same price.

I still am wondering what's wrong with the Danelectro French Toast distortion/octave pedal. The clips I've heard sounded great, and I've heard of people using them professionally. So, what's so horrible about them?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Distortion: Pro Co RAT2 Distortion Good choice.
Wah: Dunlop 535Q Wah Decent, but I'd go Budwah for sure...I'm not really a fan of this wah.
Phaser: Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter Great choice!
Chorus: Boss CE5 Chorus Ensemble I prefer the Small Clone...they're very different style chorus' though. This one is a bit sterile, makes your tone bland.
Delay: Boss DD6 Digital Delay Again, I like the EH delays more. This is pretty run of the mill standard delay.
EQ: Danelectro DJ14 Fish and Chips 7-band EQ Great choice!
Octave: Danelectro DJ12 Chilli Dog Octave - OR - Danelectro DJ13 French Toast Octave/distortion No clue...not sure why you want an octave so bad, IMO they're pretty useless effects.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Distortion: Pro Co RAT2 Distortion Good choice.
Wah: Dunlop 535Q Wah Decent, but I'd go Budwah for sure...I'm not really a fan of this wah.
Phaser: Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter Great choice!
Chorus: Boss CE5 Chorus Ensemble I prefer the Small Clone...they're very different style chorus' though. This one is a bit sterile, makes your tone bland.
Delay: Boss DD6 Digital Delay Again, I like the EH delays more. This is pretty run of the mill standard delay.
EQ: Danelectro DJ14 Fish and Chips 7-band EQ Great choice!
Octave: Danelectro DJ12 Chilli Dog Octave - OR - Danelectro DJ13 French Toast Octave/distortion No clue...not sure why you want an octave so bad, IMO they're pretty useless effects.

I pretty much agree with that but I'd be less polite...

The chorus is (to be blunt) awful, it doesn't sound like a chorus should. Look into the maxon or Ibanez chorus pedals (the Ibanez CS9 is the best alround chorus on the market IMO.)

For the delay ditch the boss too, go for a Line 6 echo park, it mops the floor for bothe flexibility and tone. Just make sure you go to a place where you can try the actual pedal you buy because I've heard some have volume drop issues and some don't!

For the wah ditch the 535Q, it's really harsh sounding in the top end. If you REALLY need all those switches and things (most people don't, they just find a setting and leave it.) Save up some more money and purchase a Teese RMC2, I prefer it to the RMC3 but you maybe different.

Everything else in the list is excellent though, good choice with the fish and chips, it's just as good as the boss pedal but costs MUCH less. The RAT is a "marmite" type pedal, either love it or hate it.. I personally love it, sort of fuzzy sounding without being a fuzz. I've no experience with octave pedals beyond knowing that the boss OC2 sucks.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Thanks for the great replies That_Pink_Queen and power freak!

I'll go look up the Chorus and Delay pedals you both recomended, then I'll update the list with my new choices for them. Same goes for the Wah as well.

And, after thinking about it, I don't know what I'd really use the octave pedal for other than a cool effect here and there...I guess I'll drop that one off the list.

Also, would the EH Big Muff Pi be the best choice for a fuzz ditortion/sustainer? Would I be able to use the sustainer on it without the fuzz distortion if I wanted to?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
UPDATED LIST:

Wah: Budda BudWah
Chorus: Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Delay: Line 6 Echo Park
Fuzz/Sustainer: Big Muff Pi (USA version)

Good choices?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Your list looks a lot better now. Although, I'd drop the Muff. There's not much point in it. I'd go for an ISP Noise Decimator instead. It would deffinately help with all of that pedal noise.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Distortion: Pro Co RAT2 Distortion (Go for a Vox Bulldog or Big Ben Overdrive, they are tube driven and sound way better than any transistor or MOSFET based distortion/overdrive)

Wah: Budda BudWah (Get the 535Q Wah, if it's good enough for Satch then it should be good enough for you... The Budda Wah is just a rip-off as it doesn't offer better tone but costs you twice as much. Don't let several people on here influence your choice just because they think they should buy the most expensive pedals which aren't always worth the money!)
Phaser: Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter (good choice, sounds great)
Chorus: Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus (good!)
Delay: Line 6 Echo Park (Odd choice, it's a modeler and sounds a bit weak, if you're planning to get a modeling delay, get the DL4 by Line6, otherwise, get yourself an Ibanez Analog Delay or an EH memory man)
EQ: Danelectro DJ14 Fish and Chips 7-band EQ(These pedals unfortunately don't have proper shielding and will cause a nasty 50 cycle hum, maybe an MXR 7 bands EQ will do better)
Fuzz/Sustainer: Big Muff Pi (USA version) (I'd say get the Russian version as the Russian made one is much smoother, the USA version is a very harsh Fuzz and will not do a proper job as a nice smooth sustainer)
^What the f*ck is that supposed to mean? How am I a sheep for asking for advice from people who know what they're doing? I don't have access to any pedals other than Danelectros, so I'm looking for people's opinions on different pedals before I order them. I'm looking up their suggestions and listening to sound clips and making MY decision on which sounds best to ME. In most cases, the suggested pedals have sounded better to me.

So, how exactly am I being a sheep?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
On the subject of the chorus, I am of the opinion that what you put origianly kills the Small Clone. Its much more versitile and still sounds great. In my experience, its also much more reliable and well built
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
^I listened to both and preferred the Small Clone...it seems a bit warmer and a bit more refined. The Boss CE5 sounded somewhat dry after I listened to the Small Clone.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Wah: Budda BudWah
Chorus: Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Delay: Line 6 Echo Park
Fuzz/Sustainer: Big Muff Pi (USA version)

The Budwah isn't a rip off of the Dunlop. You can tell this is you know anything about electronics. They're constructed completely differently.

My choosing of the Small Clone was based somewhat on my own choice of chorus. I just really like the wet chorus and cool "wobble" effects you can get with it. What kind of chorus are you looking for. As PF said, the Ibanez one is better than the Boss by far. I still prefer the E-H pedal though.

The Big Muff is a great fuzz pedal. I kind of prefer the Russian version, it's a bit grittier than the US one, but both are good.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I'm looking for that warmer, more saturated chorus sound, and the Small Clone nails it.

I'm not quite sold on the wah. Yeah, it sounds good, but from the clips I heard, so did the Dunlop I was looking at. What are the better Vox Wah's? I'd still like to look into those a bit.

And, for the delay, would an E-H Memory Man be a better choice than the Line 6 Echo Park? What about an Ibanez DE7?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at Aug 14, 2006,
I think the Electro Harmonix would probably be better, but I havent tried the Echo Park.

For wah, like I said Vox is my favorite, but Buddas are also very good (as I have heard). The Vox V847 is the better Vox for more distortion and overdrive, while the Vox V848 Clyde McCoy is better for blues, clean, funk, and slight overdrive settings. It does sound good with more gain, but as I said V848=distortion tones, V847=mild tones.
^I'll go listen to the V848 now. I play mainly with distortion (at least some), so it would probably suit me better.

Edit: Musician's Friend only has the V848 Clyde McCoy Wah and the V847 Wah. Are those the two you were talking about?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at Aug 14, 2006,
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
I think the Electro Harmonix would probably be better, but I havent tried the Echo Park.

For wah, like I said Vox is my favorite, but Buddas are also very good (as I have heard). The Vox V847 is the better Vox for more distortion and overdrive, while the Vox V848 Clyde McCoy is better for blues, clean, funk, and slight overdrive settings. It does sound good with more gain, but as I said V848=distortion tones, V847=mild tones.

And yeah Xenn, he was talking about those 2.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I like the Vintage Rat a little more than the Rat 2. Just my personal preference. I own the VR. I also have a Boss Chorus and agree with what's been said. It's just so...unnatural sounding. I really don't even like using it. As far as wahs, what about a Morley optical? Just a thought. I've been considering one since I have a love-hate relationship with my Dunlop and it's damned button.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Xenn99
And, for the delay, would an E-H Memory Man be a better choice than the Line 6 Echo Park? What about an Ibanez DE7?

I personally hate analog delays.. I prefer a much hi-fi sounding delay.. but that's just my choice (although most people feel the same way, especially if they use a lot of gain.) What sort of delays are you after? And I'd avoid the DE7, it's not that impressive.

Aeitus: You've obviously not played the pedals in question... I've played tons of pedals and the choices here are top notch, the BudWah isn't even dunlop based it's got more of a vox-y charm but with a much more "wowowowow" sound instead of a "wahwahwah" sound. The only similarity is that it uses a dunlop enclosure (so I've been told.)

Since when has the echo park been "weak"? It's by far the best compact delay pedal on the market. Strangely enough you reccomend the DL4, which in fact has the exact same delay sounds as the echo park with a few added extras. So I fail to see how you can like one and not the other.

Plus I've never had a problem with noise on a dano fish and chips, I believe their insides are coated with foil which is enough for a guitar pedal.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
The Budwah isn't a rip off of the Dunlop. You can tell this is you know anything about electronics. They're constructed completely differently.

The Budwah IS a rip-off, you pay fortunes for it but it doesn't even sound much better than an original Vox or decent Dunlop/Morley wah. You go pay that money for a wah, I'd take the Dunlop 535Q as it offers lots of versatility and has good tone.

Xenn, I'd really use a tube overdrive instead of a ProCo. I don't know if you've ever played a few tube overdrives (EH Hot Tubes, Vox Big Ben Overdrive, Bulldog distortion) but they are WAY better than transistor/diode/MOSFET distortions, they tend to sound thin and harsh in comparison with a nice overdrive tube. It's like using a SS distortion over a tube overdrive, as soon as someones says that then everyone tells them to use the tube overdrive on their amp, but when it comes to pedals?...

Seems like several people on this forum don't know what they are talking about and are being kinda contradictive. In AMP world, we know that tube overdriven tone is much nice than SS, same accounts for pedals. Tube driven pedals sound way better than simple SS pedals.

And baby, if you drive your tube amp with a nice tube pedal then you get this delicious tone.

And please stay away from Line6 pedals, they suck horribly. The only decent pedals they make are the DL4, MM4 etc. But those are digital as well. An analog delay is always nicer.
Quote by Aetius
Xenn, I'd really use a tube overdrive instead of a ProCo. I don't know if you've ever played a few tube overdrives (EH Hot Tubes, Vox Big Ben Overdrive, Bulldog distortion) but they are WAY better than transistor/diode/MOSFET distortions, they tend to sound thin and harsh in comparison with a nice overdrive tube. It's like using a SS distortion over a tube overdrive, as soon as someones says that then everyone tells them to use the tube overdrive on their amp, but when it comes to pedals?...

Tube pedals are the worst invention since nazi germany... They don't work at the right operating conditions to get a decent tone, you've basically just got a very expensive light bulb in your pedal.

What a tube pedal will do though is absolutely kill the low end of your sound, it'll make it so undefined and flabby you won't recognise that it's your own sound. There is a reason most boutique guys don't piss about with 12AX7/AU7/AT7 or whatever pedals: they suck...

Some will use "small tube" pedals (like the hermida zendrive 2) but they're much closer to transistors than tubes really.

Quote by Aetius
Seems like several people on this forum don't know what they are talking about and are being kinda contradictive. In AMP world, we know that tube overdriven tone is much nice than SS, same accounts for pedals. Tube driven pedals sound way better than simple SS pedals.

Why is knowing what you like being contradictive? I know I like tubes in my amps and not in my pedals... That's not a contradiction because it's absolutely true and I know WHY tubes in a pedal are NOTHING like tubes in an amp... I'm not just plucking these facts straight out of the air, look on any serious pedal modding site and they will echo exactly what I have said.

Quote by Aetius
The Budwah IS a rip-off, you pay fortunes for it but it doesn't even sound much better than an original Vox or decent Dunlop/Morley wah. You go pay that money for a wah, I'd take the Dunlop 535Q as it offers lots of versatility and has good tone.

The Budwah is expensive yeah.. But doesn't sound better than those you mention? No.. Budda have their specially wound inductors made that transform the wah. If you take a dunlop add a new inductor and swap the crappy hotpotz **** then yeah I'll concede you'll have a wah equal to the budda but most people don't want to go ot the trouble of switching things out.

And the 535Q IS awful, it's not an opinion. Your only point for saving it is that satch uses it... Oh well it must be good then mustn't it? That's like saying anything endorsed by a celebrity is a good quality product, but if you're an objective consumer you will no that is clearly not true. The 535Q is an extremely harsh wah with terrible build quality, I'll admit it can do a lot of different tones but I'd rather have 1 good tone over numerous low quality ones.

Quote by Aetius
And please stay away from Line6 pedals, they suck horribly. The only decent pedals they make are the DL4, MM4 etc. But those are digital as well. An analog delay is always nicer.

What is wrong with digital? It seems to me as though you just class everything under really broad groups.. Like: Tube, SS, Analog and Digital... I admit when I first started I used to do that but now I've got my head out of my ass and started to listen to gear and not work just by the type of pedal/amp/guitar. As you mentioned satch earlier I'll take another example: Steve Vai. He uses a ton of digital pedals and rack units in his rig.. That must obviously mean they're crap eh?

Analog always nicer? Why don't you talk to the Edge of U2.. Arguably the best delays of anybody ever... He uses nothing but digital delays to create his sound. (to use the satch style argument again.)

(the tube pedals I talk of obviously doesn't refer to preamps like the mesa tube pedals because they run at high voltages and ARE producing tube clipping.)
i'll side with powerfreak, both because i like him more and he speaks the truth
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
hey powerfreak, I've heard Satch uses a Wizard or a Teese wah every now and then
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Tube pedals are the worst invention since nazi germany... They don't work at the right operating conditions to get a decent tone, you've basically just got a very expensive light bulb in your pedal.

What a tube pedal will do though is absolutely kill the low end of your sound, it'll make it so undefined and flabby you won't recognise that it's your own sound. There is a reason most boutique guys don't piss about with 12AX7/AU7/AT7 or whatever pedals: they suck...

Some will use "small tube" pedals (like the hermida zendrive 2) but they're much closer to transistors than tubes really.

Dude, saying that tube pedals cut out your low end, that's what ALL tubes do. It's the only disadvantage a tube amp has towards MOSFET/transistor based amps. IT seems to me that you haven't tried out any good tube pedal before. The new Vox tube pedals are incredibly AWESOME and provide excellent tone. If you don't believe me, check out the website and try them for yourself.

What is wrong with digital? It seems to me as though you just class everything under really broad groups.. Like: Tube, SS, Analog and Digital... I admit when I first started I used to do that but now I've got my head out of my ass and started to listen to gear and not work just by the type of pedal/amp/guitar. As you mentioned satch earlier I'll take another example: Steve Vai. He uses a ton of digital pedals and rack units in his rig.. That must obviously mean they're crap eh?

Analog always nicer? Why don't you talk to the Edge of U2.. Arguably the best delays of anybody ever... He uses nothing but digital delays to create his sound. (to use the satch style argument again.)

Try out any digital delay at high volumes, I can bet you that they will ALL sound like crap, noisy and distorted, just like The Edge's delays. His delay is horrible seriously, it's always distorted. I'm not saying all digital stuff is crap, but the Line6 echo park is HORRIBLE. At least get a DL4 (like I mentioned before)

And rack effects are not comparable with pedals as they are of a higher build quality and use more complicated audiochips which can get pretty close to the real thing. But theres NOTHING that can compare to an analog tape echo and overdriven tube.

And the 535Q IS awful, it's not an opinion. Your only point for saving it is that satch uses it... Oh well it must be good then mustn't it? That's like saying anything endorsed by a celebrity is a good quality product, but if you're an objective consumer you will no that is clearly not true. The 535Q is an extremely harsh wah with terrible build quality, I'll admit it can do a lot of different tones but I'd rather have 1 good tone over numerous low quality ones.

The 535Q can sound smooth... Seems like you haven't played around with it enough, it can sound very very harsh but that's kinda cool when you're playing some riffs with a wah that growls. I can't get that with my Vox wah, (and yes I prefer my wah above the Budwah..)
definitely go with the 535Q...i tried one out against a vox at guitarcenter the other day. it sounded good through a line 6 spider II! it must be good. they're really idiots there, though.

and you'll prolly also wanna stick a compressor or a boost at the beginning with that many pedals.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Aetius
Dude, saying that tube pedals cut out your low end, that's what ALL tubes do. It's the only disadvantage a tube amp has towards MOSFET/transistor based amps. IT seems to me that you haven't tried out any good tube pedal before. The new Vox tube pedals are incredibly AWESOME and provide excellent tone. If you don't believe me, check out the website and try them for yourself.

I have tried pretty much all the AX/AU based tube pedals on the market... I'm not saying they cut out the low end at all. I'm saying they make it really fuzzy and ill defined. It's because in a pedal you're working the tubes at a stupid part of their range which makes them act NOTHING LIKE THOSE IN TUBE AMPS. The best tube based pedal I've tried was the radial tonebone series, but they were a bit too compressed for my liking. Not to mention that tubes don't cut out the low end at all, it depnds on how you design the thing, you could hardly say that (for example) a Rivera Knucklehead has cut off low end.. Far from it, that thing has crushing low end. More so than any Randall I've tried.

Quote by Aetius
Try out any digital delay at high volumes, I can bet you that they will ALL sound like crap, noisy and distorted, just like The Edge's delays. His delay is horrible seriously, it's always distorted. I'm not saying all digital stuff is crap, but the Line6 echo park is HORRIBLE. At least get a DL4 (like I mentioned before)

I've tried loads of digital delays and you've clearly not... Analog delays are much noisier than digital because they are inherently noisy due to the circuit design. You could say the same about distortion on your delays.. That's EXACTLY why I like digital delays: they're clean and articulate. Analog delays lose definition which is OK in some circumstances for clean playing but add a bit of OD and things mush up and you can't get a distinct sound.

And the edges delays distorted? Are you seriously deaf? I think you're about the only person in the world that would think that... If anything his delay sound is too clinical. And lets just have a look at his classic delay set up... Oh wait a minute what's this? AN ANALOG DELAY! Most of his earlier stuff is with an EH memory man, his later stuff uses a TC electronic delay set up.. Both of which you seem to think is above and beyond a "digital pedal"...

And you seriously have not read what I've said: the echo park is the same thing as a DL4 in a smaller box but with only the most used presets... So saying "at least get a DL4" is complete rubbish.

Quote by Aetius
And rack effects are not comparable with pedals as they are of a higher build quality and use more complicated audiochips which can get pretty close to the real thing. But theres NOTHING that can compare to an analog tape echo and overdriven tube.

Why are rack effects not comparable with pedals? You compared pedals to amps FFS, there's a bigger difference between a pedal and an amp than a pedal and a rack unit. Racks are programmed in much the same way a digital pedal is, the only advantage of a rack box is that oyu can fit more into them so you'll be able to gain more flexibility. A digital pedal can get exactly the same sound as a specific algorithm on a rack unit if you wanted it too.

Quote by Aetius
The 535Q can sound smooth... Seems like you haven't played around with it enough, it can sound very very harsh but that's kinda cool when you're playing some riffs with a wah that growls. I can't get that with my Vox wah, (and yes I prefer my wah above the Budwah..)

I had the 535Q for a number of months... I know the thing inside out. You can't even mod the thing to make it sound nice (it uses SMD crap which isn't worth the hassle.)

You also don't seem able to put what you don't like about the budwah into words.. You just end up midlessly saying "this is better" or "satch uses another thing"... As you seem to like this kind of argument lets have a look at some budwah users:

-Steve Vai (prior to the bad horsie)
-Robben Ford (you can hardly say this man doesn't know what sounds good or bad)
-Eric Johnson (another tone hound of the highest order.)

"if they're good enough for these guys they're good enough for you" seems to hold true?

I would listen to PF Xenn, he's one of the few guys I consider to be the last word when I want to know something gear related. His opinion differs than mine over some stuff like the Mark IV, hahaha, but that's preferece, so I won't fault him.

As for the Budwah, it's a killer sounding wah IMO, I think it would be perfect for the tones you're after. It sounds nothing like the Dunlops to me. Try one out for yourself if you can, or get someone to make you a clip. It's got one of the coolest sounding vocal qualities I've heard in a wah. I would stay away from the "tube" OD's too, unless you've heard and fallen in love with one. I had a couple I messed with, including the Mesa V-Twin, and they are really not that great IME, at least for the price. My OD808 or TS9 worked better at pushing the front end of an amp, and with the V-twin, it was just like PF said, fizzy and ill defined no matter how I EQ'd it. It also sounded REALLY poor with my AVT when I had it, a little better on a tube amp, but not worth the price.

That's all I really have experience with, I'm not a big fx guy. I just recently picked up a TC Electronics G-Major though, and I really like it so far. The honeymoon isn't over, so I don't want to gush too much about it, but so far I'm very happy with it not buggering up my tone, but still giving me quality fx. It seems to be one of the better budget rack fx boxes I've tried.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Ok, I went and tried out the few pedals I could find today, and I have to day, I really, really liked just a regular Dunlop Crybaby wah. I think that will be what I go with.

I also tried out a used MXR Phase 90. How would that compare to the E-H Small Stone?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Page 1 of 2