Opinions? Ive always used a guitar with H-H configurations but im planning on getting a Caparison Dellinger and i have the option of H-S-S or H-H... Is a single coil in the neck more clear sounding? Does it make too much feedback?

And please give opinions on the Caparison Dellinger (or II) SE. Thanks!
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
Bodenhamer modded Maxon OD808
Marshall DSL 401 Combo
Mesa/Boogie F-50 w/ Marshall TSL 2x12 cab
I find that the single pickup gives you sorta better cleans, similar to a strat. But the only problem it might have is that it'll buzz more than a humbucker. Proper shielding and wiring should minimize the buzzing. Split coils from the humbucker to single coil in the middle will minimize the buzzing and will still give you that strat kinda tone.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
H-S-S with acoil-splitter and noiseless Pups
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
well single coils are good enough for Yngwie. its up to you and what sound you like better, cause they both work for shred. though you might be able to get more sustain from a higher output pickup such as humbuckers.
Brazillian Thrash Massacre
H-S-S and H-H? What are you going to use the most? Decide wether you want a single coil neck sound or a humbucking neck sound...
if all u want is a hard rock/metal sound go for H-H

But with H-S-S you could use the humbucker for rock/metal, and the singles for other things. The H-S-S seems a lot more versatile, so if you have a wide range of likes in music you might want to think about that
Quote by Zofar
H-S-H Ftw!

Like my RG!

Haha... I've been posting this picture EVERYWHERE!

Ftw? Is that like the new "wtf" or "lol"? Whats it mean?
mikeman, that's a sexy but ugly RG1570 you got there.

Yea, get HSH, it's much better, otherwise H-S-S, because I can use distortion without people laughing at me, and shred clean with neck pickup, and it's easier to do pinch harmonics for me, dunno why.
i think that HSH is the most versatile combination ever. it can turn to a H-H, or just use the single coil, and stuff like that.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

My guitar is a H-S-S. Its ok, but its noisy. They're cheap stock pickups though. If you get noise canceling single coils it'd be ok. I'd vote H-H. I prefer it personally. I don't shred often, but its just a more versitile setup if its got coil tap.
H-S-S ftw, like my Radius:
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
but you could have stacked hum, and thats not true at all anyway, (mine works just fine, but it is a stacked hum i think, a stacked hum helps to get both sounds, single vintagey and hum metaly)
--
you mean Coil tap right? Only some of them do. if you dont mean that then ok, that sounds cool.
--
nono, im equally acceptant of both, I kinda want to get a strat, even though my ibanez is my baby....i dunno, but i like both, so THERE war man!!
--
H-s-h > H-s-s > H-h

Opinion of Caparison? Not worth the money.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Invictious
Agreed, but it really depends on what you play.

He said "for shred"
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
He said "for shred"

Shuttup

Well it can be blues shredding, or metal shredding, or rock shredding.

Hmph
right ok then, that sounds interesting..., but why?
--
read these:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/serpar.php
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.1basicwiringfaqs/#q18

basically, parallel wiring connects the coils of a humbucker like two seperate single coils, so they don't cancel each other's high frequencies out. the result is a brighter, more single-coil like tone but with less output than a normally wired humbucker and no hum.

as far as I know, all Ibanez H-H guitars (I know mine does) have the neck humbucker both series and parallel connected, so you can choose between them. position 1 makes it a normal humbucker, position 2 makes it a parallel humbucker.

it would be nice if the bridge pickup was parallel connected as well, because then you could really tell the difference, but both pickups have 4 wires so I'm sure a simple modification could make the bridge pickup parallel connected aswell.

the neck pickup really does sound brighter when in position 2 than position 1. that and the fact that you can use both humbuckers at the same time (you can't with H-S-H) in position 3 makes it much more versatile than any other pickup combination.

that is all.
Last edited by Supersonic^ at Aug 14, 2006,
Are you honestly telling me a HH setup with the neck pickup tapped is more versatile than H-S-H or H-S-S?

Click.
H-S-H ftw.......i've never been a fan of the neck single for shred, just hasnt got the output i like, but then you could be just better off with H-H config, assuming you dont really need the middle single for shred and such I.M.O
Quote by Resiliance
Are you honestly telling me a HH setup with the neck pickup tapped is more versatile than H-S-H or H-S-S?

who said anything about coil tapping? read my post before making stupid and ignorant comments.

H-H > H-S-H > H-S-S
I strongly prefer H-H but it's mostly because I prefer a 3-way toggle to a 5-way selector. I do a ton of switching between the neck and the bridge pickup in the middle of phrasings and find 3-way toggles to be extremely convenient. 5-ways tend to wear out over time and they're not as easy to switch with.

I also very rarely use middle position pick-ups anyway ... but I think I'm just a little one-dimensional. I either want a fat creamy neck tone or a sharp cutting bridge tone... and then I fine tune it with the tone pot. It's my personal style .. but I don't ever really feel like I need a middle pickup... and to me adding one isn't worth the cost of going to a 5-way selector because I hate them so much lol

I know other guitarists differ greatly in this area though. It's just my own style and preference. No single setup is best for everyone.
Quote by Supersonic^
who said anything about coil tapping? read my post before making stupid and ignorant comments.

H-H > H-S-H > H-S-S

My bad about the coil tapping, I meant the series/parallel thing... My question still stands... Although you've kind of answered it already... I think even with that wiring the H H is much less versatile than H S H or H S S...

Click.
I have to admit you guys are right, i play blues too, so thats why I said most versatile, i was talking in general not just metal, but its a stacked hum anyway. My Bad.....
--