Page 1 of 3
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal
Left Jab, Right hook, Then I knocked him out I hate player haters so I pissed in his mouth
venom had an album in 82 called black metal thats pretty early and pretty death metal eske
i think venom wants to be credited more with black metal than death metal
Possesed
Death
Morbid Angel

.....Idk who else : /
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't do to others what you wouldn't like others to do to you.
- Live and let live.
- Always tell the truth.
- If someone looks at you, just give them a nice smile they won't soon forget
The formation of death metal is widely attributed to the following 3 albums:

Slayer - Reign in Blood
Possessed - Seven churches
Death - Scream Bloody Gore
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by mydadisjewish
****in satan

****er

i was gonna say that
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
Quote by Spynal

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Slayer? I doubt it for death metal, but Slayer was a landmark for Thrash without a doubt. I'd say Morbid Angel, Death, and Possessed.

. . But not Slayer
^ You're right, they aren't death metal but they definately influenced it's creation.
roar
Quote by evilmnky204
Slayer? I doubt it for death metal, but Slayer was a landmark for Thrash without a doubt. I'd say Morbid Angel, Death, and Possessed.

. . But not Slayer

Well, I agree that it ain't death, and I'm sure Spynal knows that, but Slayer's Reign in Blood had a huge impact on the then forming extreme metal subgenres.
Quote by evilmnky204

. . But not Slayer

A lot of death metal bands draw influence from Slayer, particularly Reign In Blood.
Quote by Spynal

Slayer - Reign in Blood
Possessed - Seven churches
Death - Scream Bloody Gore

You can't pinpoint it to albums, since the bands all had stuff before releasing full lengths. I would say in the early 80's, some people just wanted to play more aggressive, violent thrash, and had harsh vocals, and thus death metal was born. You can't give credit to one, two, or even three bands. It spawned all over the place, sort of a natural evolution of thrash.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Quote by AzureNight
You can't pinpoint it to albums, since the bands all had stuff before releasing full lengths. I would say in the early 80's, some people just wanted to play more aggressive, violent thrash, and had harsh vocals, and thus death metal was born. You can't give credit to one, two, or even three bands. It spawned all over the place, sort of a natural evolution of thrash.

Notice the "widely attributed" ... I'm speaking of the albums that people point to as the origins of death metal. I didn't say these bands originated the fuckin genre, I was saying those 3 albums are considered to hold the most influence on a worldwide scale.

And to mr. sarcasm, of course Slayer is fuckin thrash, but that album is regarded as one influential to death metal. I mean, Seven Churches wasn't really a death metal album by modern standards either.

Quote by Magero
Quote by AzureNight

Slayer and Death paved the way for the heavy sound that would grow and evolve into death metal. Possessed had a song titled "Death Metal", and this is thought to be where the name of the genre originated. you need to look around on wikipedia more, n00b.
*considers the question*

Satan...

*sips wine*
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
Possessed coined the term "Death Metal" on their 1985 album Seven Churches.
But you can't attribute the death metal sound to Possessed.

Chuck Schuldiner heard this album, and subsequently wanted to play faster and heavier in his own band (you can see this transition in the various Mantas demos up until Scream Bloody Gore).

It's basically the same argument as Venom, they coined the term "Black Metal". But who knows, they might have just ripped the name from Spinal Tap, which preceded the release of Black Metal, or you could even say Metallica ripped the title for the Black album from Spinal Tap. Venom had nothing to do with the Black Metal sound, less so than Possessed with Seven Churches.

All the Florida Death Metal bands are attributed with starting the scene, ala Death, Obituary, Deicide (they were playing death metal in the 80s under the name Amon) etc.

But no one's mentioned the roots of European death metal here:
Carcass
Pestilence (heavily influenced by Carcass)
Assorted Heap

Those three bands have the earliest European death metal releases I can think of.

Bands will cite Reign in Blood as an influence, I don't believe it has or had anything to do with Death Metal at the time it was released (1986).
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Quote by CSguitarvocal
*considers the question*

Satan...

*sips wine*

haha

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by SorrowIsMe
Possesed
Death
Morbid Angel

.....Idk who else : /

+Sepultura
Even before Reign In Blood, although Slayer weren't death metal per se, they already had that dark, death metal touch to them which would influence many death metal bands after them.

Carcass, Morbid Angel, Death and Possessed were probably the first to take that Slayer sound and make darker and heavier and helped pave the way for death metal.
If you are reading this, you fail at life. Go cut yourself and save yourself more misery.

Quote by Antartica.
What do you think about Opeths soft singer, do you think they need that vocalist or is that wut makes them Opeth?
Possessed - Seven Churches was the first death metal record. 1985.

...it is still the best.
Shadilay.
Quote by twentyextysixx
Possessed coined the term "Death Metal" on their 1985 album Seven Churches.

Yes you can. Altars of Madness is basically a carbon copy.
Shadilay.
Its kind of strange, you went from the whole rain of blood and rust in peace metal in 86' then just two years later you had bands like Cannibal corpse forming.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Yh i think slayer helped with its satanic undertones. But i am guessing they were inspired by bands like maiden, sabbath and venom also had that going for them.

Off topic: do you think any of them actually belive in that stuff, i know that the drummer for maiden is a christian. Is it just a big gimmick to attarct the 'yoof' of that time?
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Last edited by soccermom at Aug 14, 2006,
Possessed, Hellhammer and Mantas were considered as the first DM bands. For those not in teh know, the latter 2 later evolve into Celtic Frost and Death.

As far as pushing it into the limelight goes, The US had a Big 4 consisting of Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel and Obituary. Whereas in Scandinavia you had bands like Dismember, Grave, Nihilist and At the Gates making a name for themselves.

As far as pushing it forward goes, Death were constantly evolving their sound, Bands like Dark Tranquillity and At the Gates started to bring about the Melodic Side of things. Cannibal Corpse started to push forward with a lot of the Gory imagery and bands like Atheist and Cynic were taking it into more technical areas.

I think. Dont quote me on this.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Slipknot.

j/k
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by evilmnky204

. . But not Slayer

They didn't pioneer thrash either you know. They were one of the first big thrash bands but it was pretty much a joint effort from the bands playing clubs in the Bay Area in the early 80's.

I agree that Slayer helped pioneer death metal, because, even though they are thrash, they had the speed, energy and heaviness of the early death metal bands like Death and Possessed, and the lyrics to match.

EDIT: Screw that, Dyers has it covered.

EDIT 2:

Quote by twentyextysixx
you could even say Metallica ripped the title for the Black album from Spinal Tap. .

But remember, Metallica named the album 'Metallica', not 'Black Album', that was just what it was called a lot because of the cover.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Aug 14, 2006,
Repulsion are pretty important, as they introduced blastbeats into death, as prior to that the really fast stuff was UKHC.

Oh yeah and the band Slaughter helped shape the genre, also, Slayer's "Hell Awaits" album was quite important in providing an outline for more extreme sounds to come.
Hellhammer, Possessed and Mantus were the main pioneers.

Slayer - Reign In Blood? Not really, that's 1986, thrash was already more extreme and agressive before that like Kreator's Endless Pain or Dark Angel's We Have Arrived.
I'm entitled to double post, so fück off!!!
As I said.... widely attributed, not my opinion, just the widely recognized answer.

Quote by Magero
Quote by chemicalsolutio
Hellhammer, Possessed and Mantus were the main pioneers.

Slayer - Reign In Blood? Not really, that's 1986, thrash was already more extreme and agressive before that like Kreator's Endless Pain or Dark Angel's We Have Arrived.

More extreme, but was it as popular and widely listened to?

If you look at what albums influenced death metal guitarists, Reign in Blood usually comes up.
Slayer is widely recognized for their more agressive style of thrash riffing including chromatic-like riffs, use of parallel 4th harmonies, and a more chaotic style of guitar solo (a la Kerry King). All these techniques are now very popular in death metal and although other bands besides Slayer employed these techniques Slayer definently had the most to do with popularizing them. And the album the first and most popular album to display this from Slayer is Reign in Blood, which is why it is greatly attributed to helping create death metal.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Quote by chemicalsolutio
Valid Arguments

Hey goddamnit, we're in the metal forum here. Peaceful resolution is NOT an option. Now even though he provided a valid argument, you have to make some random comback involving vegetables, some random sexual position, and Matt's mother, then re-iterate several times that Slayer is thrash and he is a n00b. Go on, I know you have it in you.

Quote by Magero
*hint*

My mom's favorite vegetable is peas

good luck....
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Page 1 of 3