I currently have a Fender 59' Bassman reissue. I love the sound, but I am also in love with the Marshall plexi sound. I did some research, and found out that the old plexis used KT-66 power tubes. My bassman is using 6L6 power tubes. My question is this: First of all, would I be able to swap out my 6L6s for some KT-66 tubes? Secondly, would this give me the sound that I am looking for?
Thank you all in advance.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Don't know the answer to your question, but I have a Fender Blues DeVille, how does that Muff sound through your Fender? What kind of music do you use it for? I'm thinking about adding one to my setup. Thanks, and sorry for interjecting!
Fender Special Edition Koa Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Visual Sound Jeckyll & Hyde Overdrive
Fender Blues DeVille 2x12
The muff sounds great. I mostly use it to get Jimi Hendrix/The Guess Who tones. It nails the intro to American Woman, if that is the sound you're looking for.
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
I'm looking for David Gilmourish lead tones. I also hear the Muff is good for heavy stuff. Does it sound harsh at all? I see you use a Tele, so it's probably a bit more trebly.
Fender Special Edition Koa Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Visual Sound Jeckyll & Hyde Overdrive
Fender Blues DeVille 2x12
I will say, it does get very trebly sometimes, but my bassman balances that out nicely. I've never tried to play floyd on it, so I couldn't tell you how that will sound. I might try for a russian big muff, as general consensus seems to be that it has a darker tone.
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
I do think you can swap them...im 67% sure..sorry...but yeah i own A Peavy classic 50 with celestion speakers..do you think thats nice? or not?
That is a nice amp. Thanks for trying to help with my original topic BTW.
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
You could probably swap them, but you'd also probably need to have your amp rebiased.
Yeah, you'd need the amp rebiased.
It won't get automatic Marshall tones though, even though the Bassman is very similar to early Marshalls electronically.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.