I've been playing guitar for about a year now and i gotta say i aint that great. I took a half a year of guitar class in school so i've learned the basic chords and stuff. I havn't taken lessons beyond that. Some days i practice 5 hours...others i dont get in any practicing or just pick up the guitar for a half hour....

so i'd say im still easily a beginner...i just play whatever i like...sum easy nu-metal and punk stuff as well as tryin to play metallica,pantera,etc. I've mastered Enter Sandman (without solo)...but i've been workin on master of puppets and other stuff for what seems like forever and it doesnt get a whole lot better...

I'm just curious to know how good you all were after a year of playing? any tips for me to improve?

thanks
well...i dont wanna sound like a dick...but i wasnt half bad at my 1 year...not half as good as i am now [2 years]...but i wasnt too bad back then either...i suppose
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
I was a littel farther ahead then you. I could play Master of Puppets, but still to this day I get cramps, but not when I'm shredding, its wierd. But yeah, I only took one guitar class and that was in my freshman year of high school about 2 years ago. It was bogus though since the "guitar" teacher barely even knew how to play guitar. Lessons can be nice, but it depends on what kind of person you are. Personally, I can't just sit there and let people teach me, I just can't learn that way. Try learning by yourself and see how that is going. If you don't see too much improvement then try lessons and see which si better for you. I'm at 3 years right now and you can check out my sound clips even though they aren't that good because I suck at thinking what to play for a recording lol, but they should give you an idea. Oh yeah, one more thing, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!!
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
well I really have no idea, i was told by some poeple i have great timing..... but other than that I probably suck in most people's eyes, but I dont care, Im having fun.

and Ive been playing for a year, so yes this belongs in present tense
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
Thanks for the replys..im probably just going 2 teach myself and have fun with it
thats the way to do it man...its taken me far
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
i was ok at 1 year, I could play chords and stuff, but some chords were still tricky for me and I was still sort of slow. I've now been playing for 3 and a half, and I'm finally right about where I want to be. I do still have plenty of room to improve but it just takes awhile, and some people are just slower learners than others, and some have more patients and ambition than others. my best advice is to learn at your own pace.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Meh...

I could play the stumble.. Pretty hard blues tune =\ I had a good load of solos under my belt after my 1st year
I dunno, my sig shows what my 1 year could do, its really old though, and terrible
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Ive been playing for about 9 months now, and I can play the highway to hell solo by ac/dc...well most of it. The first half of it sounds pretty good. But the second sounds like ****. I think it maybe my $150 guitar off of ebay and me still being a beginner. But the highway to hell solo has to be one of the easiest ac/dc solo's out there. But i still enjoy it

I can play master of puppets ok...its nothing great...but i havnt started looking at solo's until recently, my fingers still need a good bit of coordination and speeding up, but im getting there...hmmm im gonna get the master of puppets solo and see if i can learn that after the back in black solo, which is a fair bit more difficult then the highway to hell solo :P

but i dont think im doing anything amazing, im still far behind all my friends, ineed a teacher...bleh
I've been playing for about three years and im ****ing ****. But most of the time I played punk and never practiced. Seriously for about a year.

Im still **** but its funn.
F.T.W
I could play Master Of Puppets after my first year, I think I starting to learn the solo. I played like 7 or 8 hours a day though, I had no life, no job, and no girlfriend.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
I have no idea how good I am, all I know is that I was the best guitarist at my old middle school. Most of the guitarists at that school played emo crap and stuff anyway.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Well I was okay at bass but I've been on the guitar for say 5 days now. I'm not as bad as someone who has never picked up a guitar, but the chords and closer string spacing are what's getting me the most.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
dude we all have our own pace... ive been playing four months and im beginning to learn canon rock by jerryc
I've been playing since Christmas and I've just nailed Stairway To Heaven and starting some Pantera/Slayer/Metallica stuff since I only just got my first electric. Can play chords and stuff. Having fun though which is all that counts!
I'm only a little past half a year now, but I can play Master of Puppets with first solo. But i do play another string instrument for support...
I was probably behind cuz I didn't even practice till a half a year later. Then I caught on quickly.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
I taught Malmsteen how to sweep three hours after I started playing.

My point is: Don't worry about how good you are after so long. Keep playing and practicing - you will get better. You have to understand that there's hundreds of factors which determine how quickly you'll pick up the instrument, not just your own aptitude.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
It doesn't matter where you are in relation to anyone else. You're exactly where
you should be based on how you've practiced. You get out what you put in to
the guitar.

If you just screw around and have fun without putting some serious work in, you'll
get some out of it, but very little over time. Eventually you'll get bored with what
you can play.

Someone who has spent the time to improve thier playing -- what many would
consider very unfun work -- will be able to play MUCH better and consequently
have MORE fun playing.
Quote by Bazilisck311
I taught Malmsteen how to sweep three hours after I started playing.

My point is: Don't worry about how good you are after so long. Keep playing and practicing - you will get better. You have to understand that there's hundreds of factors which determine how quickly you'll pick up the instrument, not just your own aptitude.

^ Well said