Page 3 of 4
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Mike played bass in American Football. It's pretty crazy how he can do stuff like Pietro Crespi, I sat down and tried to play and sing that today, I failed pretty bad.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by FatKidsOnMopeds</3
newbs

Don't even act like you didn't multitrack yours!

And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
Quote by Paris_In_Flames
He played bass in american football right?

I think he just did guitar and vocals in AF, I'm not sure though. Wikipedia thinks the same.
He definitely played bass some, I'm pretty sure he did the bass on the LP and he played it live sometimes I think.
Quote by xxemo_kittyxx
I listened to "Bad News" and didn't think it was anything special. Is it worth checking out the whole album though?

Yeah get his album I Do Percieve.
Get At Home With too, I liked it just as much as his other stuff. His lyrics are so great on that album, well on all the albums actually.
Saw Mike last night in DeKalb, Illinois.

****ing amazing, as usual. He and Bob Nanna got drunk and played Jawbreaker covers. I'll post videos as soon as they are up on youtube. Stay tuned.
Quote by fenderfreak101
Saw Mike last night in DeKalb, Illinois.

****ing amazing, as usual. He and Bob Nanna got drunk and played Jawbreaker covers. I'll post videos as soon as they are up on youtube. Stay tuned.

Haha, sounds fun. I'm jealous.
I've been learning The Sad Waltzes of Pietro Crespi today. Goddamn that song is fun to play, really need to get a new acoustic with my next pay though.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uFFLFvZ3IyU

Awesome. I was the guy who yelled "the cure!" because there's a video of them playing the cure in England (which is what he's talking about at the beginning).
^ I don't know what it was like the last time they came here as I ended up not being able to go (had ticket though!) but the time before no one seemed to know who Bob was and everyone was just sitting through his performance (bloody kids!). Anyway, good to know Chicago does appreciate their own. Decent video, thanks for that, he seems to have an unhealthy 'Chesterfield King' obsession from what I've seen in the past.

EDIT: Is it just me or is Mike really a bit of a dick? I do hate to say that, but when I met him I got that impression and every video I've seen of him talking at concerts he seems to have the same kind of attitude.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Yeah no I get that impression too [from videos]. But hey, he's Mike Kinsella, he can do whatever the heck he wants.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Glad it wasn't just jealousy flairing up again. You're right though, may as well let him be so long as he continues.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles

EDIT: Is it just me or is Mike really a bit of a dick? I do hate to say that, but when I met him I got that impression and every video I've seen of him talking at concerts he seems to have the same kind of attitude.

I think he's just really sarcastic and comes off that way. Although I'm a fanboy, so I'm biased to think so.
From what I can tell, he speaks his mind and he doesn't really care what other people think of him. You can tell from the lyrics of Bad News.
Supposedly, Bad News is about himself. He said he wrote it about himself as a sort of "reality check."
Often seems more arrogance than anything else, but still, as long as it doesn't get in the way of his music I don't really care what it is.

RateYourMusic
I've seen Mike and met him several times, but I don't think he's a dick. Whenever I've spoken to him, he's just been a nice guy. I think he's gotten tired of the majority of his audiences, though. I know when he was on the Copeland/Appleseed Cast tour, 3/4th of the crowd just talked loudly throughout his set while the other quarter tried to listen.

He's also drunk a lot.
Last edited by lookingpastsky at May 29, 2008,
Quote by fenderfreak101
Supposedly, Bad News is about himself. He said he wrote it about himself as a sort of "reality check."

Really? That's a bit of a surprise.

Are all Owen shows that stripped down? I think it would be cool with him and just and acoustic guitar, but I think it would sound better with a piano, drum and maybe another guitarist.
Quote by IcePh0enix
Really? That's a bit of a surprise.

Are all Owen shows that stripped down? I think it would be cool with him and just and acoustic guitar, but I think it would sound better with a piano, drum and maybe another guitarist.

Occasionally, he'll use Piano loops and play acoustic over them. Like whenever he does "One of These Days" he uses a piano loop. Besides that, it's always just been him, and I think he'll keep it that way. He doesn't take live shows too seriously, which I think is a result of playing live for 10+ years. After awhile, it's got to get old.
Quote by lookingpastsky
I've seen Mike and met him several times, but I don't think he's a dick. Whenever I've spoken to him, he's just been a nice guy. I think he's gotten tired of the majority of his audiences, though. I know when he was on the Copeland/Appleseed Cast tour, 3/4th of the crowd just talked loudly throughout his set while the other quarter tried to listen.

When I saw him on that tour, not a single person talked for his entire set, to the point where it was awkward.
has anyone else noticed that he cites fall out boy as an influence on his myspace?

although it makes sense since they're both from the chicago music scene, this still struck me as a bit weird...
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Could be a joke...
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
well, that was my first thought but you never know...

what're his best songs? I've really been getting into Pietro Crespi. what else should I listen to?

I'd like something more specific than "everything."

Quote by Its_Rock77
what're his best songs? I've really been getting into Pietro Crespi. what else should I listen to?

I'd like something more specific than "everything."

Download "I Do Perceive" and wait to listen to it until the next thunderstorm.
that'd be awesome thanks!

and I shall look into that fenderfreak. we've been having pretty stormy weather lately so I think I'll be in luck.

EDIT: you know how every once in awhile you come across an album that's just mind blowing and completely changes your view on music? yeah....at home with owen. mmmm mmmm mmmmmmm...

Last edited by Its_Rock77 at Jun 8, 2008,
Quote by Its_Rock77

you know how every once in awhile you come across an album that's just mind blowing and completely changes your view on music? yeah....at home with owen. mmmm mmmm mmmmmmm...

that happens everytime i hear a new song by him.

i saw him in dekalb also, and it made me want to quit guitar/songwriting/life
crit my rhymes?:

Lets Get Drunk and Fuck.

Subtle Arrogance

Do you realize, that i can clearly see your clitoris through your jeans?

Quote by Shaepwnsyou
They're very religious, so they have butt sex to save their virginity.
he has such beautiful compositions...

and anyone who wants to know where to start...

1. Who Found Who's Hair in Who's Bed
2. A Bird in Hand
3. I Woke Up Today (if you can find it)
4. Bed Abuse
5. One Of These Days
crit my rhymes?:

Lets Get Drunk and Fuck.

Subtle Arrogance

Do you realize, that i can clearly see your clitoris through your jeans?

Quote by Shaepwnsyou
They're very religious, so they have butt sex to save their virginity.