So I'm in the process of writing something. I have the chord progression down (III, I, V, VI) and its in the key of Bb. I want to add some lead over the basic progression, but I don't know which scale to use. I've been fooling around with lydian, but it doesn't have quite the sound I'm looking for, which is kind of a sadder feeling. Any ideas guys?
30w crate
Epi sg
Fretless yamaha pacifica

Being poor rules.
Bb? are you a masochist?

Quote by Night_Lights
aeolian

yes

III (and VI) chords indicate minor instead of major (lydian is major-sounding)

VI indicates basic minor scale (aka natural minor, aka aeolian)
remember, it's not what scale you use, it's how you use it

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187159
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
If you are in the key of Bb, the chord progression would be Dm, Bb, F, Gm. Assuming it is centered on the Dm, you would use D Phrygian - the 3rd mode of Bb Major. However, that progression could also be in the key of F Major, so you could use D Aeolian (Minor) - the 6th mode of F.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
Quote by UnderTheGroove
If you are in the key of Bb, the chord progression would be Dm, Bb, F, Gm. Assuming it is centered on the Dm, you would use D Phrygian - the 3rd mode of Bb Major. However, that progression could also be in the key of F Major, so you could use D Aeolian (Minor) - the 6th mode of F.

hmm that's right, I saw the III and VI capitalized and assumed major, so I was thinking Bb - Db instead of Bb - Dm.