Poll: Well which would you choose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Well which would you choose?
Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
13 41%
Rickenbacker 4003
19 59%
Voters: 32.
Well fellow bassists and guitarists alike I am afraid a slight predicament has reared its ugly head at me and put a short pause in my bass buying activities... Naturally I once again seek the help of you people... so... which one

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

Rickenbacker 4003

Note: yes my name is RIC4003 but ignore that factor if you please and just give me an honest opinion on which to go for...
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Didn't you make this same thread not too long ago?

The Geddy Lee probably has a more versatile tone, seeing as how it's a Jazz Bass. It's also gonna be cheaper than the Ric, but I'd go w/ the Ric as long as you're not doing too much slapping and are fine w/ having it's signature tone.

And why would you put RIC4003 as your username if you dont' even have a Ric? Or not even 90% sure of getting one?
The Rick will give you the Rick tone, and while you can change the Rick tone, it will always be the Rick tone.

The J-bass will fit into every application, and being a Geddy Lee it will feature a great thin neck, and the 70s pup location, which is 1/2 inch closer to the bridge, and will give you a more aggressive tone, which I feel suits up better with distortion than the 60s config.

Try 'em out bro, the Rick goes for almost 2x more the price for a reason, construction wise they're GREAT, and in the sub 1500 range they're the finest made basses constructionwise along with EBMM.

The Geddy Lee, for a 700 dollar bass, is a HELL of a bass, made amazingly, sounds great.

Whatever you go for, you get a great bass, it's just what's your sound, what you can afford, and what you want.

Rawk.
haha
So difficult to choose... ugh
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
ric

ftw
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
lol sheez people this isnt helping there are pretty much the same amount of people going for each bass
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
id personally say geddy lee jazz bass, i dont like how rickenbackers look. thats just me though. plus i like the sound of fender basses a lot
get the Geddy Lee. i recently played one and it kicks ass!it has really good tone and plays really well. although the ricks are really nice and cost more. i havn't played one before.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
Last edited by MegaBassPlayer at Aug 14, 2006,
The problem with this thread? You're asking other people what one you should buy. Basses are all personal preferance. Go to a store and try them both.

Who knows, you could buy either one and hate it, and have to sell it again. Or love it. Spend the time, play the basses and get what feels right. (And what you can afford. I'd love a Stringray 5 right now, but I can't afford it.)
Quote by elemenohpee
The problem with this thread? You're asking other people what one you should buy. Basses are all personal preferance. Go to a store and try them both.

Who knows, you could buy either one and hate it, and have to sell it again. Or love it. Spend the time, play the basses and get what feels right. (And what you can afford. I'd love a Stringray 5 right now, but I can't afford it.)

I dont see a problem with the thread I am simply asking people what their opinions are on the two bass guitars I am looking at... yes there is personal preferance involved but there is no hurt in having others shed some light...
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Quote by GOD
go for the ric man

MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Get the Geddy Lee jazz
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Capitol idea
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Ric
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.
Quote by RIC4003
I dont see a problem with the thread I am simply asking people what their opinions are on the two bass guitars I am looking at... yes there is personal preferance involved but there is no hurt in having others shed some light...

But you see, no one (well almost no one) is shedding light on either bass. They are post in just a handful of words: "Get the Ric" or "Get the Geddy Lee" Without an explaination as to why they chose that one.

Personally I don't suggest either, because I don't like them. I've played both and neither really did anything for me. To me the Fender jazz bass isn't anything special because it's so over used. It has become the 'standard' in basses, so you hear it's sound everywhere.

And the Ric. It's a shame that I hate their tone. Because I absolutely love the way the look. But bass isn't about looks now is it? Okay it is, but sound comes first.
To each his own
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Anyway if everyone would be so kind as to fill out the poll that would be smashing
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
i think you will be more satisfied with the Getty Lee, in the long run. it's simply more versitile. it has the BadAss II bridge, and a slick and narrow neck. it has 2 vintage Jazz Bass pick-ups, and sounds/plays like a dream. i would love to own a Ric, as a second bass, but the Jazz is my primary bass.

p.s. if you can afford either of these basses new, there are alot of others worth considering. the Ric generally costs around $1000, while the Getty can be had for around $650. you should also ckeck-out the Fender Amercan Series Jazz, not to mention, G&L, and Musicman. play everything in you're price range. even the Fender Jaguar Bass is worth looking at.
well I chose these two basses because the Geddy J-bass is nicest fender I could find and I love the Rickenbacker tone... (some dont but i love it)

Musicman basses dont really appeal to me for the sole reason of looks i know its shallow but they are plain ugly IMO (i know others would beg to differ) however on the subject of looks fenders all look alike but i think the Rickenbackers have an incredible look extreemly original and almost organic...

Yes the Geddy J-bass is versatile but versatility is further down the list on what i am looking for in a bass guitar because i am finger picker first and formost...

anyways thanks for the input 83lespaulstudio
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
yeah warwicks are pretty cool... buuuut I think I will just stick with these two as first choice
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join