Hey guys, i was just wondering if there is a big differance between the EMG 81's and the HZ on the ESP guitars. I am running the guitar through a behringer LX112.
thx
personally I think the active 81 is a lot better, I didn't care much for the passive EMG HZ on it's own. I've heard them sound good when guys like Laiho run a powered booster/preamp with them though. I assume you're a metal player, and you'll be upgrading that amp at some point, so I would still go with the 81. There will probably be a sizable price difference in the guitars that have those 2 equipped however, the 81's are more money.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i find the 81s are very hot type of pick-up and the hz are the lower end emg's.
Co-Founder of the I Am Canadian Club, pm me or Mantiscabinet to join

My gear:

Gibson les paul studio
line 6 spider 112
washburn X12 with zakk wylde emgs
2004 pearl protone drum set
yeah, there's a reason too that they put non-HZ EMG's in the higher end ESP Ltd's (and in "real" ESP's too).
A 81 sounds very metal (not too good for cleans though)
Quote by JorisBlack
yeah, there's a reason too that they put non-HZ EMG's in the higher end ESP Ltd's (and in "real" ESP's too).
A 81 sounds very metal (not too good for cleans though)

of course besides the occasion Alexi sig and Custom Shop model as well. yeh they generally stick to EMG pickups and Seymour Duncan pickups