Well the title pretty much says it all I think...unless you don't know any scales at all.
chromatic
but seriously, i dont know much so mostly minor pentantonics(sp?)
I use the Major, minor, blues and the minor pentatonic scale, thats all I need baby...
minor pentatonic and minor pentatonic blues
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Minor pents. and most of the modes, to add excitement.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Fish scales. Slap 'em on, heat 'em up, lovely with butter.

Um...what?

I like Phrygian, Minor Pentatonic, Aeolian (natural minor), Blues, Diminished and Ionian (major). I also use other modes when the mood takes me, and use the Egyptian scale for novelty value. Aeolian seems to be overtaking Phrygian as my main metal scale, it's that bit darker, though I do love the way the b2nd works in Phrygian.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
mostly minor penatonics

also play the blue scales
'Lovely' does NOT have guitar solos!

Monterey Stage Series Electric
Some bright orange Ashton acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 112
Variax 300
Minor pentatonic, Major Blues (non-pentatonic), Harmonic Minor/Double Harmonic Minor/Spanish Gypsy (same scale, different root notes), Chromatic.
major,ionian,aeolian hope there spelled right
My guitars...

LTD H-1000
Epiphone Explorer
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic

Amps...

Marshall Mode Four
fender frontman possibly for sale

Quote by Pleiadian
(with active EMG-HZ pickups)
Minor Pentatonic and i add notes to it depending on the chord its being played over
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
I use the natural minor if it's a slow, emotional thing. I use the blues scale because it's so friggin' awesome. Otherwise I use the minor pentatonic and try adding different chromatic passing notes to see what works.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
how do ya like make a progression using say that spanish sounding mode.. phygrian or whatever
- tommy
I use the Blues Box thing and the minor and major scale. I never use pentatonics 'coz they're too restrictive, although I do know the minor and major pentatonic scales. Plus I use a couple of other scales (I don't actually know what they're called!), one of which is the one used in Misirlou and is like the major scale but with a flattened 2nd and 6th, and the other two are based around the minor scale but one has the major 6th and 7th and the other has the minor 6th but the major 7th. And I use chromatics a bit.

There you are
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Hey speaking of which, did all of you just memorize the scale patterns for each thing. Such as, you memorized A B C D E F G Major scales, A B C D E F G Minor scales, and now you know all of the patterns for them?
Quote by Ascendancy5
Hey speaking of which, did all of you just memorize the scale patterns for each thing. Such as, you memorized A B C D E F G Major scales, A B C D E F G Minor scales, and now you know all of the patterns for them?

It's just 2 patterns to learn for 14 scales..
Yes but I didn't memorize all of the notes on the fretboard, should I do that first?
Quote by Ascendancy5
Yes but I didn't memorize all of the notes on the fretboard, should I do that first?

Learn the notes godammit. not memorize.

Memorize for people with low level thinking, Learn for people with high level thinking, and Forget for geniuses.
Maybe..... ^

but that some serious playign there if you actually learned that all. Even i dont know them all. I use scales that mosltly would sound good. Blues scales are my main thing for blues stuff and slow things i guess..... for metal and shred quickly bust out the E major or minor scale and C major/minor penatonic and basically Major/Minor Penatonics. Creepy... lol but mostly i use that.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by Ascendancy5

You should memorize the familiar box pattern, after you're familiar with the tone you can try expanding it all along the fretboard. Muscle memorizing as i would like to say, not just blindly theoretical memorizing, just one pattern is already quite enough, lets say you've "known" the A pattern, move it a whole step further and you got yourself a B pattern, another half step would mean C, and so on.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by Invictious
Learn the notes godammit. not memorize.

Memorize for people with low level thinking, Learn for people with high level thinking, and Forget for geniuses.

I suppose you're a genious?

Learning the notes doesn't teach where your fingers need to go. Learning begins
with memorizing and teaching your fingers the basics of what they'll need to do.
Your body is the instrument that plays the instrument. Scales BEGIN with learning
fingering patterns which is your body's interface to the guitar.

Once you've memorized the basic fingering, the REAL work of scales can start
because there's an infinite number of ways to navigate scales and to understand
what a scale means in relation to a chord.
Quote by edg
I suppose you're a genious?

Learning the notes doesn't teach where your fingers need to go. Learning begins
with memorizing and teaching your fingers the basics of what they'll need to do.
Your body is the instrument that plays the instrument. Scales BEGIN with learning
fingering patterns which is your body's interface to the guitar.

Once you've memorized the basic fingering, the REAL work of scales can start
because there's an infinite number of ways to navigate scales and to understand
what a scale means in relation to a chord.

Yep, and I am proud! j/k

Well that was meant to be a joke, so I hope no one takes it seriously, although there is a grain of truth in it.
edg is right, nobody is going to pick up the guitar and say "gee, i think i'll learn all the notes on the neck and figure out scales that way!", so learning the shapes is a must for a beginner...but i do completely agree that once you reach a certain level you should definitely see scales as notes and such so that improvising and playing over chord progressions becomes that much easier

i don't like sticking in the pentatonic box...i don't use it exclusively like many players do...i use whatever scale is best for achieving the sound i want for a particular song or passage - i also like to add "color" tones to scales when needed

i do tend to use the diminished scale quite a bit though
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I only know the...oh god help me, The five Major Minor Pentatonic scales...in the key of A, starts with the Em shape. I don't remember the names of the other shapes but I know they're all in the key of A and there is a C shape somewhere in there, but I just know what they are not the names of em. And I just recently started soloing, which is something I never thought I could do, which is pretty awesome.
High as tits
sounds cool, I use the Major/Minor Pentatonics, Blues Scale, Natural Minor, Major and then just whatever sounds good after that.
where can i learn scales, and how to apply them to playing???
i only know minor pentatonics and blues.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by mw7

I just asked a musician friend of mine (she plays cello) and she explained to me a bunch of scales. That's why i don't know the names, 'coz I just copied out the names of a bunch of notes. Except for the Misirlou one, I just learnt that by getting a tab for that song!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by mw7

Right here
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by hrdcorekidx
major,ionian,aeolian hope there spelled right

Nice job. The ionian scale IS the major scale, so if you were able to split them up into 2 seperate scales you must be some sort of genius.

You don't just use whatever scale you know to solo, it depends on the genre you're playing. Rock and blues uses the minor pentatonic and blues scale most of the time (yes, there is a difference between the two. More chromatic movement in the blues scale.) You can also use iolian or aeolian (major and minor) or whatever else strikes your fancy. Mixolydian is a good choice for jazz. Other scales include phrygian, whole-tone, or Lydian. There is the "arabic scale" and others that sound good for more eastern music. So learn every scale so you can solo over different types of music.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
harmonic minor, minor pentatonic, blues pentatonic, major pentatonic, aoelian(same thing as harmonic minor) and.... A minor( what yngwie uses.)
So when you say "Learn the frets", you mean learn the patterns? Because I already know that. It's not hard, I just need to know what frets are what notes, and the only real way to do that is memorization.