I have been looking at stacks recently and I am usure weather to look at valves or solid state. I noticed the peavy valve king which i iquite liked the look off but i also like the hiwatt G200R head with the M412 cabs (with fane speakers).

Which would be better tone and volumewise?

Spanks

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Volumewise the tubes will always win. Tonewise, it depends what you're after, Solid State will deliver a rather harsh, cutting tone, good for slicing through a dense mix, a solid state with valve emulation will have that cut with an added smoothness. Valves will overdrive very smoothly and provide punchier mids and better low end but won't slice through a mix as hard as a solid state amp.

I generally use a mix, depending on what kind band I'm producing/engineering. So play a few and find the tone you like.
Never get a solid state half stack. A valve combo will usually beat it hands down.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
Never get a solid state half stack. A valve combo will usually beat it hands down.

Not true, I own a Behringer V-Tone 120 watt alalogue modelling head and a JCM900. I use both equally. All depends on the desired tone.
Quote by Weybl Himself
Volumewise the tubes will always win. Tonewise, it depends what you're after, Solid State will deliver a rather harsh, cutting tone, good for slicing through a dense mix, a solid state with valve emulation will have that cut with an added smoothness. Valves will overdrive very smoothly and provide punchier mids and better low end but won't slice through a mix as hard as a solid state amp.

I generally use a mix, depending on what kind band I'm producing/engineering. So play a few and find the tone you like.

I play anythig from clean chilis/ indie kind of stuff to metal/metalica sort of stuff, so im guessing from what you said that valve would be better?

spanks again

Ash
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
^^ Ok I was a bit strong with the 'never' statement, but as I mentioned, it will usually beat it hands down. In most cases I stand by my statement the valves are better.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by guitaristclass
I play anythig from clean chilis/ indie kind of stuff to metal/metalica sort of stuff, so im guessing from what you said that valve would be better?

spanks again

Ash

Yeah for that I'd definately go for valve. Maybe a JCM900 or Mesa/Boogie triple rect.
Quote by SamDking
^ Ok I was a bit strong with the 'never' statement, but as I mentioned, it will usually beat it hands down. In most cases I stand by my statement the valves are better.

For a lot of music the valves will work better true, but if you can afford it it's nice to have the choices.
Threadstarter, what's your budget?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
Threadstarter, what's your budget?

Im gonna say £600 ($1100US appx) for the lot, i will save up a bit more if i need to.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Ok that's a pretty good budget. If you're willing to go used you could probably get a ENGL Screamer combo on ebay.

If not, to get the kind of variety you're looking for the best option would be to get a medium gain amp and a couple of good pedals. A Laney VC30 or LC30, with an overdrive and possibly an EQ pedal would be a good combination I think.

You can really get a decent stack for that kinda price, a 2x12 combo is all you really need unless you're playing huge venues unmiced.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Get a Valve combo and a tube screamer or similar if you want a warm tone but like was said before for a sharp tone go for the solid state.
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
What about a Peavey Hertiage? There is a guy selling one used locally and it seems to be pretty awesome.

Any opinions on it?

Spanks

Ash
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Solid state amps tend to be more reliable than valve gear, but valve amps tend to sound a lot more musical and natural than solid state ones (they distort the even order harmonics rather than the odd ones) let's put it this way if you were to go through the history of guitar music and make a list of all the amps they were using, other than the odd Jazz chorus or whatever, you wouldn't find too many solid state amps being mentioned, note also that pretty much all the 'modelling' amps are in fact modelling tube amps.

Another thing to think about if you're getting a tube amp is checking that you can get both the clean *and* the distorted sound out of them that you want - at the volume you want (a lot of amps are good for one but not the other, though you can use pedals to get the distorted sound you're after)

John Frusciante uses Marshall and a Fender gear, though it looks like he probably has a stack for his clean sound and another for his OD sound:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/576/

The Peavey heritage is a hybrid amp - there are tubes in the power stage, but the rest is solid state, as you might expect, hybrid amps are sort halfway between the two in terms of reliability, price and sound. Given the fact that you're in the UK you should bear in mind that UK brands (Marshall, Laney, Vox and Orange) will tend to be cheaper than imported ones like Mesa etc, you will get more bang for your buck out of them.
Last edited by Mr Songwriter at Aug 14, 2006,
Quote by Mr Songwriter
Given the fact that you're in the UK you should bear in mind that UK brands (Marshall, Laney, Vox and Orange) will tend to be cheaper than imported ones like Mesa etc, you will get more bang for your buck out of them.

The Messas or the Marshall etc?
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
The Marshalls etc - they're made in Britain so you're not paying over the odds for imported gear, compare the prices of Marshalls in the UK with their prices in the states, Laneys are worth checking out too, good value for money.
Quote by Mr Songwriter
The Marshalls etc - they're made in Britain so you're not paying over the odds for imported gear, compare the prices of Marshalls in the UK with their prices in the states, Laneys are worth checking out too, good value for money.

First off I'd like to talk about Solid States and then get to the quote. IMO a SS amp can be just as good as a Valve amp IF you know how to use it. A few people we can look at as examples are Dimebag Darrel and Scott Ian, and Michael Angelo Batio. Now Dime may not have what you call 'Tone' but he got a sound that ripped your face off and made you want to come back so he could blow your brains out next! Randall is probably the master of SS amps, IMO strongly. You're gonna get a lot more whiney edgy sounds out of a SS than a Valve unless you can find the right one. The drawback is not many SS have enough balls to make it thick when you want to change it up. Be careful try each amp out thouroughly. Rule of thumb, if you go to the store three seperate times play it each time and still want it get it the third time.

Now to the quote Laney... My friend is in the UK he's a real good player and he could tell you about the ass end of Laney amps. A very good company for very good money. If you want quality amps in your area I'd definitely suggest to invest.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/FoxEncounter/johnpetrucci.jpg[/img]
I'm gonna teach you.... how to snap your arm in.... 5 places...
For what he's playing, he wants tube, no question about it. All the examples JackWylde were shredders and metal dudes, and shred has incredibly sterile tone, and same for really heavy metal really.

This guy wants tube though. You might try Fenders, they sound pretty good for what you're after, but a Marshall would also work well. I've also heard good things about Laneys over in the UK.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by Weybl Himself
Yeah for that I'd definately go for valve. Maybe a JCM900 or Mesa/Boogie triple rect.

Triple rectifier is a waste of money. Go for the single if you absolutely must get a Mesa.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by JackWylde
Now Dime...made you want to come back so he could blow your brains out next!

Huh. That explains it...
Hi, I'm Peter