Hi. I was discussing this with a friend, and we both came up with wildy differing estimations.

What percentage of the over all tone, do you think the following variables have on your guitar? Are there any other variables you can think of?

Wood type
pickups
neck construction
strings
amplifier
What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet? I'll answer for you. NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS.
- Bill Hicks
i guess amp the most, like 70-80%, then wood, pickups, strings and necl constr.
but that's just a guess...
simply. amp 60, guitar 40. tubes make apart of the amp tone, as does wood for guitar.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by MrAngryEyes
Hi. I was discussing this with a friend, and we both came up with wildy differing estimations.

What percentage of the over all tone, do you think the following variables have on your guitar? Are there any other variables you can think of?

Wood type
pickups
neck construction
strings
amplifier

Wood type - 20%
neck construction - 2%
strings - 5%
amplifier - 50%

You'll notice I haven't used up 100% because there are MANY other variables to your tone.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Amps easily affecty your tone the most. But tbh tone comes from your fingers u still sound like you no matter what guitar and amp you play through
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Quote by bonzo_lives
Amps easily affecty your tone the most. But tbh tone comes from your fingers u still sound like you no matter what guitar and amp you play through

Yawn, I just wish people would make the difference between TONE and SOUND.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Does neck construction have more to do with tone than sustain? Personally I've never heard anyone say they had to get their neck set a certain way to attain a specific tone.

IMO:
Amp-75%
Pickups-15%
Everything Else-10%
ESP LTD EC-400 Archtop

Robert Keeley Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer-
ISP Decimator-
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer-
B-52 AT-100-
Basson B412-4
I think he meant neck woods and fretboard woods etc too.

Click.
Well both of those things. I know set vs neck thru vs bolt on necks are more about sustain, but I'd guess they affect tone somewhat.

I'm also told that the type of wood used in the neck is more important than the wood of the body of the guitar, but I'm a bit skeptical of that one.
What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet? I'll answer for you. NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS.
- Bill Hicks
Quote by bonzo_lives

Trying to sound mature and smart but you just got owned by Resi, and me too! Hey, don't leave me behind!1

*owns bonzo_lives*

Really, I don't see how it can affect your tone unless you are super thick callouses, or steel fingers.
Quote by bonzo_lives

so so true. this is the reason why kids at gc playing a les paul through a double recto can sound horrible. is also saw this with the other guitarist in my band. he played my guitar thru my amp(which is much nicer than his) and he still sounded like his tinny, shrill old self.
Quote by Invictious
Trying to sound mature and smart but you just got owned by Resi, and me too! Hey, don't leave me behind!1

*owns bonzo_lives*

Really, I don't see how it can affect your tone unless you are super thick callouses, or steel fingers.

Timing, attack, picking position, fluidity and string muting all have an effect on your tone.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
Timing, attack, picking position, fluidity and string muting all have an effect on your tone.

Those things have an effect on your sound. Not tone.Hit an open E on a ****ty starter then hot an open e on a Nice Fende rHot Rob and/ore other nice tube amp.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
Those things have an effect on your sound. Not tone.Hit an open E on a ****ty starter then hot an open e on a Nice Fende rHot Rob and/ore other nice tube amp.

I didn't say it had a majority effect such as the Amp has, did I? I said it has an effect.

Strumming near the neck of the guitar will give a different tone than strumming near the bridge - An example of how you play effects the tone.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311
I didn't say it had a majority effect such as the Amp has, did I? I said it has an effect.

Strumming near the neck of the guitar will give a different tone than strumming near the bridge - An example of how you play effects the tone.

Someone once said they couldnt here a differance from strumming on the neck and strumming on the bridge...I punched him in the balls.
Another thing is that the amount of tone that comes from you amp depends on the amp. A Double Recto colors the guitar a lot, but if you use an Epi Vavle Junior or another simple tube amp, the guitar is a lot more important.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Bazilisck311

Well, you see, no.

The sound you get when you play over the neck and over the bridge are the same tone. They just sound different due to your playing. The tone is the fundamental building block. Your playing can make it shine or make it look like ****. The tone remains the same.

The tone is the clay, and your hands are, well, your hands.

The problem is, it takes a practiced ear to hear the "tone" (you need to hear more than 1 player play a certain type of amp for this) and seperate it from all the little decorations that can make it sound different.

Click.
^
The definition of tone in relation to music, according to the dictionary:
"The quality or character of sound"

The way you play your instrument affects the quality and character of your sound and you agreed:
"They just sound different due to your playing"

Therefore, the way you play your instrument affects the tone that comes out of your amplifier. I understand your argument, but you're narrowing down what is considered "tone" to just barebones equipment. The threadstarter asked what variables affect the overall tone of your guitar, not what affects the tone of your equipment. Something has to vibrate the strings to generate sound and that generally is your hand.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
I'm not on about what the threadstarter asked, I've already answered his question with what I think above.

We're not on about a tone in music, we're talking about gear tone. Ain't no dictionary definition for that.

The tone of an amplifier remains the same, though can not necessarily be recognised by untrained ears. Period.

Click.
i would sat that tone is tone, in a musical sense. Gear effects it a lot but it is also affected by how you play.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Resiliance
I'm not on about what the threadstarter asked, I've already answered his question with what I think above.

We're not on about a tone in music, we're talking about gear tone. Ain't no dictionary definition for that.

The tone of an amplifier remains the same, though can not necessarily be recognised by untrained ears. Period.

^
I was though, why did you respond to my comment then?

You're talking about gear tone, I was speaking of overall guitar tone - I explained this to you last reply. Why did you even respond to my post if you were going to relate to a different connontation of tone?

Agreed! What relevance does this have to my previous post though?
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Everybody knows that pickup rings decide 100% of your tone.
lulzor
metal elitism
Well thanks for all your inputs, but i was more asking about gear, not the way you play your guitar.

What I'm getting at, is if you have a $5000 neck thru guitar made from mahogany, with top notch pickups and you play it through a $5000 amp, how much different would it sound if everything was the same, except the guitar was made of plywood or MDF for example.

Or another example, how different would a $5000 neck thru guitar made from mahogany, with crappy pickups played through a $5000 amp be, compared to another similar guitar with good pickups?

Do you think the ratios would be something like:
Strings 5%
Neck 5%
Wood 10%
Pickups 30%
Amp 50%

??
- Bill Hicks
^The wood is much more important than the pickups.

Click.
^That is why people should kill themselves after putting EMG's in BC Rich Warlocks.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
^That is why people should kill themselves after putting EMG's in BC Rich Warlocks.

or people putting them in RGs (basswood ones).

Actually, I wouldn't say that the wood defines more of the tone, but I would say that they complement with each other, a good combo means good tone, so I would say they are of same equal importance.