Poll: how high/low do u play?
Poll Options
View poll results: how high/low do u play?
top of the guitar under my nipple...
16 21%
if u shoot me between the pickups i wont have kids...
57 73%
i guess i could rest my genitals on the top of the guitar...
5 6%
Voters: 78.
Page 1 of 2
play high for skill and less(no) style?

or

sacrifice skill for style?

if so. why??
I play quite high but i just do whats practical/comfortable
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Skill is style.

High.

I laugh at all the idiots with their guitar low. Have fun with your tendonitis.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
i think it's the unspoken rule in punk -

the lower the guitar, the bigger the genitals.
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
When i sit down and play my guitar is always carrassing my nips so i play that high standing. Tom morello stylee
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
If I don't have it high enough i have a hard time playing riffs like Crazy Train intro and such. But i'd I hold it a bit high, but not really beatles legnth high.
pff I laugh at you...cuz I play ****ing low and have no prob at all...maybe you just miss the talent?
I play at a good height, not too low, not too high. Just comfortable, and high enough so that I don't have to lift to high or have too much slack in the strap if I decide to hold my guitar up and play kinda like Slash. Good times.
My stuff:

ESP EX-50
SX Telecaster Replica
Jade 75 watt amp
15 Watt Mega-amp, lol.
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech RP50
low as i please, and low as i can without sacrificing skill, or comfort.
PRS Custom 24
Rivera KnuckleHead 55
Budda SuperDrive 30
Vox AC15C1
I play pretty low (Fender strap, about two inches double) but it doesn't affect the way I play. I'm pretty tall and have very long fingers, so I can still reach everything. I play this low because I like to move and swing my guitar around a lot when I perform and I don't feel comforteble with my guitar against my chest.
In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely considered a bad move.
I think it looks more chill to wear it low. I wear my guitar like.. Like 10-15 higher than that Green pic. I guess
Quote by Yakult
Why are you talking to yourself? Stay off the drugs
dont u guys (who play low) strain ur left wrist as u go down the fretboard? i do...
I have it around average height I suppose. I'm pretty bad at playing standing up to be honest. I have to say though, Billie Joe looks like a complete idiot in that pic. If you were going to choose someone who looks cool with their guitar low, at least pick Tom Delonge
Quote by bobross
low as i please, and low as i can without sacrificing skill, or comfort.

Quote by TheEndHasNoEnd
I have it around average height I suppose. I'm pretty bad at playing standing up to be honest. I have to say though, Billie Joe looks like a complete idiot in that pic. If you were going to choose someone who looks cool with their guitar low, at least pick Tom Delonge

Or Johnny Ramone.
i sit down, then fix the strap. petrucci style
if you'd believe me i'd tell you everything
Quote by ST-XeMo
pff I laugh at you...cuz I play ****ing low and have no prob at all...maybe you just miss the talent?

maybe you just miss all the technique?
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
The bridge on my guitar is about even with my belt buckle... that's how I'm most comfortable playing.
It depends on your music. All types of metal, punk, and most rock play it low. Any other type ussually plays it about middle to really high.
My guitar is somewhere in between (like slightly above my genitals but not right under my nipple). You should have put that category in...
That's the way to not go Petrucci-style high, but to not loose technique and comfort too much either.
higher is cooler. when you have a pointy guitar , if not it looks silly :P i wear my RG so the bottom of the body is around my belly button , and my les paul so the top of the body is just below my belly button.
Quote by codybcool
Stagg's are the kind of brand that you see selling on eBay from a 0 feedback Chinese man for 99p and no one buys them.
Quote by Resiliance
Skill is style.

High.

Isn't Paul Gilbert your favourite guitarist???
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
yeah, the middle of my guitar is about even with my belt buckle, but i hold my guitar with the neck angled up so it's still easy to play riffs 'n stuff.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Quote by Resiliance
Skill is style.

High.

I play low. Am I an idiot, then?
Quote by ST-XeMo

this just might qualify as the dumbest thing i've ever heard

the only people who sacrifice skill for style are those without skill in the first place
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I never really noticed how low my guitar was until I checked today, the top of the body is just tad under my waist. The thing is, I just set it to where I felt the most comfortable and never touched the strap since then.

I don't think higher means less style and low means more, of course, unless you mean high to the point you could lick the body
Anyway, I think those that think they're "cool" because they wear their guitar lower is just plain stupid. I mean, look at Petrucci, Vai, Hammet (he used to wear his pretty high, not sure about now though), Alexi had his RR on his belly during COB's Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper era. I'm pretty sure their are quite a few more...
Quote by madpickin03
"I'd like a Big Mac and a Coke plz"
"Do you want fries with that sir?"
"No i want an RG7620 to go with it, no ketchup, Vampire Kiss finish"

Quote by chevellerox2005
who is ozzy? must not have made that much of an impact ya douche

^
Quote by redaxe
Isn't Paul Gilbert your favourite guitarist???

Isn't Paul Gilbert the size of the Power Rangers Megabot thing and has arms like trees?

Yes he is, and yes, he does. Ever come up that "low" is relative?

Sorted.

demea: depending on what you play, probably. I'm not on about simple rock things where all you need to do is fret 5 open chords and wack the strings. Heck, if you do that, you're an idiot anyway
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
im really quite short so even when i set the strap of my guitar to the shortest it will go the top of either of my electrics still reaches to just above my belly button. i like it somewhere in the middle anyhow, its more comfortable, being a girl n all
My guitar is pretty low, at about the level where just above the bridge is my belt buckle.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
i play it hella low, but just because i've done that for so long that i can't play any other way
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
low, I like chords. and what i like to play isnt hard...
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
My EC-1000 is low because I suck at standing up and playing the higher frets on a Les Paul type body, mostly my riffing guitar. My SG is high enough to reach the lower part of my nipple...never though I'd say that...
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
i play really low, as low as my strap goes, i thought it might be difficult to play like that in the beggining. but now ive just got used to it, it feels natural now.
i was thinking of this.... its best or just good enough for the rythm guitarist to play it real low how they like it low lol. And not so low, to middle and to high. So mine is about below my belly button (gagaga!) and only distadvantage is that my tremelo/picking or fast picking while soloing like a mad man isnt as it suppose to be when i play sitting down. well maybe cuz i got myself the dimarzio straps so im getting used to it.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
i would say the middle of the guitar is where my belly button is. so around there.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I play kinda mid range. Like, the top of my guitar is at my belly button. The only problem I have at that position is sweep-picking. But if I'm playing for people, I'm not generally standing straight up and doing nothing but playing. I try to put on a show; put my guitar out to the side. I don't know, it's hard to explain how I play.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Page 1 of 2