Anyone have any input on the Screamer, Thunder, and Sovereign? Such as, pros and cons of each and what each one does best? I need it to give me some very Necrophagist-esque tone as well as good clean for jazz and stuff like Vai, and also a really nice smooth lead channel as wel. The only ENGLs I ever really researched were the Blackmore and Powerball, and I want to downgrade to a combo.
Last edited by curlupanddie at Aug 14, 2006,
Screamer and thunder are both good amps, but i honestly think in america there's better amps for your money. in england and aus engls are awesome value but in the us i think they are abit pricey.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I've used Engels and theyre the most reliable cabs I've ever used. They sound as good as mesa boogies, and even better in the mids. Go for it. They're cheap, powerful and reliable
A thunder could pull off the tones you want. Although, ENGL's in America are pricey, so you might want to look into Mesa combos as well (Rect-o-Verb, Mark IV).
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Mesa doesn't do the metal I want, at least my Dual doesn't. And I also like the 4 channel capibility that the ENGLs have.

Edit: guess the Thunder is only 2 channels. Also, will the Screamer do metal with a boost and hot pups?
Last edited by curlupanddie at Aug 14, 2006,
The Thunder is made to be a lighter gain amplifier. The Screamer should be able to pull off the tones you want though (although, it still isn't made to be a heavy metal amp). However, since you already have a 4x12 cab (for your dual rec), you could get an ENGL Fireball head for around the same price as a screamer. It would do the heavy tones you want with ease.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
I really want a combo so I don't have to play loud or not at all, and I plan on getting rid of my Mesa and my cab.
Alright, I've been reading a bunch of reviews and some say these combos will cover metal well, and others say it doesn't. Wouldn't a good overdrive like a Maxon OD9 or Ibanez 808 turn it into a metal machine? Especially with EMGs or some hot Dimarzios?
if you want smooth, from what i hear, you might want to look at the (new, not the older version) sovereign. You should be able to tell if it's a new one if it has a noise gate and depth boost buttons (the old one had neither).

But you need to try it. Also, make sure to try some other amps, as engl are comparitively dear in the states. or more accurately, a lot of other stuff (like mesa for example) is comparatively inexpensive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have no where to really try any ENGLs, and I really don't know if I want anymore Mesa gear, unless i'm guaranteed tone that is not of the solo head. It's just not my thing.
Just because it's a combo doesn't mean it's going to be quiet. They're still all-tube and bloody loud.
^^ well the engls do have quite distinct tone from mesas. They do sound characteristically different.

and i agree about the volume thing- the quietest engls are 50 watts, I think. That's pretty darn loud...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ i hear the newer one is better, but I haven't tried either, unfortunately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe I can buy the old one (I think it's the old model, the large engl-logo in the center of the speaker is missing and the on/off buttons are just switches w/o that lamp and so on) for about 900€
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Quote by curlupanddie
I really want a combo so I don't have to play loud or not at all, and I plan on getting rid of my Mesa and my cab.

You'd be surprised how good ENGL heads sound at low volumes. I play my Powerball at very low levels frequently - in fact I'm playing it right now through a 4x12 at 11:52 PM with my girlfriend asleep in the same room and it still sounds great IMO :P
ESP Custom Flying V
ESP Forest GT
Navigator N-LP-480CTM
-------------------------
ENGL Powerball
Peavey 6505
Framus Cobra
Quote by Philipp Sobecki
Maybe I can buy the old one (I think it's the old model, the large engl-logo in the center of the speaker is missing and the on/off buttons are just switches w/o that lamp and so on) for about 900€

I'd try it if at all possible first.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my girlfriend asleep in the same room and it still sounds great IMO :P

How many pills did you give her?

Honestly, I'd suggest looking into other amp makes in the states as ENGLs seem to be a lot cheaper here in Europe than they are in the USA.
How much guitar would slash bash if slash still bashed guitars
^ they're about the same actually... just other american-made amps which are a total rip-off over here are cheaper in the states, so engls seem comparatively dearer.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Where is there an place to see these things anywayaaa
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
^ they're about the same actually... just other american-made amps which are a total rip-off over here are cheaper in the states, so engls seem comparatively dearer.

Right.

Don't you just wish for once most of the amp manufacturers were in Europe?
How much guitar would slash bash if slash still bashed guitars
^ yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?