I've been playing for about 7 years now and have the following gear:-

Marshall VS65R
Jackson PS4 ( with Dimarzio Breed pup in bridge )
Korg AX1500G M/FX

My problem is that my tone really sucks. Clean sounds nice but very twangy. Any distortion just bores the crap out of me. If I scoop the mids out I can get a good Metallica rhythm sound but any lead is so friggin dull it puts me to sleep. Through the M/FX my lead sound is tinny - very trebly. If I add bass to it it instantly gets muddy. ARGHHH!!

If I bypass the M/FX and just use the Overdrive channel on the amp - Oh My God what a muddy piece of crap!! Absolutely horrible.

Perhaps I am craving a tube sound? I dunno I don't know what I am missing but there has to better out here than this. I guess I am after a nice warm Opeth'y lead sound. Just something with some character.

What is the weak link in my setup? I suspect my amp is letting me down but perhaps its the guitar? Thanks dudes.
Are you using your pedal with amp's clean channel or the overdrive? Usually using it with the clean sounds best.
Using it with the clean channel dude. Also tried using the FX loop on the amp but couldn't tell much difference!
Go the cheap route and try a different distortion pedal. May not sound cheap, but it's cheaper than a new amp/guitar.
itll be the amp i think, a tube would set you on your way. However, Steve Vai's pickups are supposed to be a little twangy, as one notices when you listen to some of his clean songs, his lead clean is pretty twangy....i dont imagine that its the guitar though; seeing (sa everyone KEEPS saying), the amp makes up about 70% of your tone...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
This is the craving of a tube amp, go out and buy one. When I bought my Voxac30 it was the best thing I did for my tone. You'll be impressed with the tube amps, make sure to try them out at full volume becuase they sound better when higher.
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
^^ x2, and that is why the Vox Valvetronix series is good: you can lower the output wattage but still have the master volume on full so: less volume but same 'cranked' tube tone!
(ps: I am not a walking advert)
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by J.MitMetallica
^^ x2, and that is why the Vox Valvetronix series is good: you can lower the output wattage but still have the master volume on full so: less volume but same 'cranked' tube tone!
(ps: I am not a walking advert)

the Valvtetronix is very nice for low volumes but if your going to be cranking an amp it might as well be a tubed one becuase its going to sound a hell of a lot better than a hybrid.
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
Quote by azn_guitarist25
valvestate are pretty crap distortion wise. and yes a tube amp is well worth it

But be prepared to pay a decent amount of a decent one, and tube replacement, maintenance, and neighbors becoming enemies.

If you tone is boring, add chorus to it.
Quote by djspank
I've been playing for about 7 years now and have the following gear:-

Marshall VS65R
Jackson PS4 ( with Dimarzio Breed pup in bridge )
Korg AX1500G M/FX

My problem is that my tone really sucks. Clean sounds nice but very twangy. Any distortion just bores the crap out of me. If I scoop the mids out I can get a good Metallica rhythm sound but any lead is so friggin dull it puts me to sleep. Through the M/FX my lead sound is tinny - very trebly. If I add bass to it it instantly gets muddy. ARGHHH!!

If I bypass the M/FX and just use the Overdrive channel on the amp - Oh My God what a muddy piece of crap!! Absolutely horrible.

Perhaps I am craving a tube sound? I dunno I don't know what I am missing but there has to better out here than this. I guess I am after a nice warm Opeth'y lead sound. Just something with some character.

What is the weak link in my setup? I suspect my amp is letting me down but perhaps its the guitar? Thanks dudes.

Get a tube amp, the weak link in your set up is your multifx pedal and the amp. Both need to be replaced. Get a JCM or something. I have a Fender Hotrod Deluxe and it sounds beautiful with a distortion pedal infront of it. But you seem to play metal and usually those that play metal don't like Fender amps so I recomend a good Marshall...not a cheap one not a solid state one or a hybrid one, a good tube Marshall (the rest all suck).
You could always try getting a sustainer/compression petal. Helped out my tone a lot. Made it worlds clearer. It's only about $90 for a good one. If you don't like it, just take it back.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Thanks for the advice guys. I spose I am a bit wary of going another Valve/Solid state mixture after the Valvestate was dissapointing.

Another consideration is that I don't play in a band so I am not going to want to crank the shizenhausen out of my amp to make it sound good, so someone raised a good point that with the Valvetronix I wouldn't have to. But I assume with a meaty Marshall like a JCM or a Mesa Boogie I would?

Also you guys have got me thinking about the FX pedal as well, but I think I will try and fix the amp first - make sure I am happy with the guitar/amp clean and dirty sound with nothing in between and then worry about the FX.
youv'e been playing 7 years and havent tried a tube amp? and about the cranking problem, get a like 15 watt tube or less like the fender blues jr(15 watts, like 30 SS watts) or you could get a epiphone valve jr, theres a 5watt combo version of that and a 5 watt head, and I think peaveys coming out with a small tube combo of the valveking this year
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
You can always go the Fender Delux + Boss DS-1, for a quick cheap tone fixer upper.
^lol to the satch thing in your sig, its funy cause its true
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Quote by mikeman
You can always go the Fender Delux + Boss DS-1, for a quick cheap tone fixer upper.

but seriousl i use that for band practice and at 1 im still pretty loud. now if the ts is just using it for bedroom practice a blues junior is more wiser.
If you wanted to experiment for just a little money check out the Epiphone Valve Jr. All tube, nice tones. You can then try some different pedals or multi effects (G Major or GT-8).
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.