So i'm giving this dude guitar lessons and he's battling with changing open chords quickly. it's been a long time ago when i started to learn these chords so i dont remember how i learnt to change these chords quickly. Do you have any ideas,tips, etc.?

At the moment i'm just teaching him lots of songs.

any help from you, a site, lesson or whatever, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
repitition. (spelling?) once he learns the chords hes playing, he'll be able to build speed
Live as a man. Die as a man. Become a man.

That's the proof of your incompetence, right there.
You lack the qualifications to exercise free will.
make sure he's not applying too much pressure to the strings with any finger, and make sure his fingers are bent at all times - usually a beginner will get nervous when switching chords and slap the hell out of the guitar with the impact, and it's just not necessary
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
repition, and using the proper fingers to play the chords help too.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
^thanks alot guys. UG rocks

So i got it, repitition and make sure he's not applying to much finger pressure to the strings.
thinkin of the shapes your fingers should be making eg when you are playing "D" your fingers should be making a triangle shape. Hope that makes sense
There is nothing conceptually better than rock and roll
Quote by jacoinmalawi
^thanks alot guys. UG rocks

So i got it, repitition and make sure he's not applying to much finger pressure to the strings.

And make sure his arm and hand aren't tense - it goes hand in hand with not putting too much pressure on the strings. A tense arm or hand isn't going to let him naturally switch to the chord, he'll forcing it and it will be sloppy and messy.

Ask him to sit infront of you switching chords and look at the angle of his arm, specifically the elbow and shoulder. If you see that his arm is elevated outwards he's tensing up badly.

Ask him to put his fingers on the fretboard, and then with his thumb just touch the neck - no pressure from the thumb. Then ask him to drop his into his arm body. That's the counter-pressure needed, the weight of the arm relaxing into the body.