No, it's not the 'ordinary' , which one is better bla bla bla thread ;d

The thing is: I'm buying a new guitar. I'm dead set on a explorer-style and i've started checking out gibsons.

The price difference between the gibson exp and epi exp is around ~5000 swedish kr. ( which is around 550~ish $ ).

I just want to know if you only pay for the name when you buy a gibson, because it almost has the same specs. as a epi. ( well i know the mics aren't the same, but it doesn't matter since i'm swapping them out anyways ).

And yes, i will try both out. But what is YOUR oppinion?

Is there a big difference in quality between the gibson and epi, and is it big enough to spend the extra $$$ on the gibson?
I am going to bet there are at least a thousand threads on the differences between epiphone and gibson. Search for it.
I think they're pretty comparable. I'd go for the Epi, but I'm a cheap bastard. Most people will tell you to go for the Gibson.

Advantages to getting a Gibson: It's made in the USA, and it says Gibson. The materials are also higher quality.
Disadvantage: Price

Advantages to getting an Epiphone: They look nice, they're cheap, and with new pickups, can sound just as good as a Gibson.
Disadvantage: Not as high quality materials as Gibsons, not as high quality electronics (which don't matter in this case), it's made overseas, and doesn't carry the Gibson name.

Thats from my standpoint.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
yeah there is a huge difference in gibson & epiphones try them out yourself its clearly obvious tone is everything and gibson has a deffinit better tone in acoustics & electrics than epiphones do
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
with Gibsons you pay for the following:

the gibson name
american labour
american assembly
slightly better wood than an epi
less likelihood of a dud guitar
pickups that are sweet enough not to swap them

with epi's, you pay for:

korean labour
american electronics

basically, if you can find an epi that feels perfect, and is a solid chunk of wood, get it, especially if you're swapping the pickups anyways.
i esence better wood, better electronics and better pickups and higher quality parts on your guitar will give you a better guitar and since gibson does exaclty that, its worth saving for a gibson
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
Thanks for the advice y'all. i searched around for a bit aswell and found what i was looking for
Quote by frigginjerk

the gibson name
american labour
american assembly

with epi's, you pay for:

korean labour
american electronics

basically, if you can find an epi that feels perfect, and is a solid chunk of wood, get it, especially if you're swapping the pickups anyways.

you were right up untill the "american electronics" part. I don't think Epiphones have American electronics, where did you get this information? (I could be wrong too on this one)
threadstarter : go for the Gibson but be sure to play the one you'll buy first (I played a bad Gibson Explorer...like terribly bad, probably a lemon).
Well i got an epip exp and ive played a gibson expl and there both the exact same except teh name and the price tag..and my pip has never ever let me down before
Quote by frigginjerk

the gibson name
american labour
american assembly

So far you're paying for absolutely nothing - why would I care if an American worker has built my guitar as opposed to a Korean worker?

Emphasis on the slightly, unless you're getting a completely different wood entirely (IE paying for solid mahogany instead of, say, basswood

If I buy a 'dud' guitar surely I can send it back (unless you have a different definition of dud than I do - I mean a guitar that doesn't really work at all, horrible and unfixable action, electronics falling out, that kind of thing)

I would imagine such a guitar would fall afoul of the Sale Of Goods Act's umbrella term 'as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality' (and I'm assuming that the USA has similar laws to the UK in this respect) so that really shouldn't be an issue since you can return it for one that IS 'as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality'.

Now this is probably worth paying for - depending on how much better the pickups are of course (IE I wouldn't pay an extra £500 if the pickups were only £300 more expensive)

Would I be right in assuming that the wiring is more heavy-duty on a Gibson also?

There's definitely reasons for buying a Gibson over an Epiphone, but it just comes down to a question of whether you a) have the money and b) can justify the extra expenditure (IE do you really need those better pickups and that better wiring or are you just buying the guitar to have some fun on your own or with a few mates?)
Last edited by hannigaholic at Dec 30, 2006,
good thing about gibson is that it will never lose its value. with years to come, it will even gain value.
Edit: Ops didnt see that it was an explorer you looked for. Nevermind what I wrote
Quote by zwound
good thing about gibson is that it will never lose its value. with years to come, it will even gain value.

Actually a used gibson is going to be worth less than a new one, no? Unless of course its some 1970's les paul blah blah.

Cheers.
not really. the older MIA guitars are, the more they are. generally. the 80s strats (like 85) go for like 3000 dollars, and the 95ish go for slightly more than the brand new ones.
Quote by jolliz
No, it's not the 'ordinary' , which one is better bla bla bla thread ;d

The thing is: I'm buying a new guitar. I'm dead set on a explorer-style and i've started checking out gibsons.

The price difference between the gibson exp and epi exp is around ~5000 swedish kr. ( which is around 550~ish $ ).

I just want to know if you only pay for the name when you buy a gibson, because it almost has the same specs. as a epi. ( well i know the mics aren't the same, but it doesn't matter since i'm swapping them out anyways ).

And yes, i will try both out. But what is YOUR oppinion?

Is there a big difference in quality between the gibson and epi, and is it big enough to spend the extra $$$ on the gibson?

Oh the contradictions!

The Gibson is superior. The wood, the parts, etc, etc. Is it $500 better? That depends on how much money you make. But it's better.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
^ i agree

TS, what did you decide on? you said you found what u were looking for..
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Many people are saying the woods are better on the Gibson but by reading the spec sheets many of the epiphones use the same woods, the main diferance noted in the spec sheet are the Pickups.

Gibson's tend to use more name brand pickups than the epiphones
Gibsons are made in the US.

Personally i believe the finish is a bit better, attention to detail, Personally I would not spend the extra money on a Gibson, i would buy one of the epiphones and if you fancy better pickups get the better pickups installed.
With the explorer, the gibson prolly has better pickups and maybe a better finish overall.

I'd say try them both in person before buying and decide if the Gibson is worth the extra money. If you can't hear a difference and they both feel the same, then get the Epiphone.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by punkedbytricky
Many people are saying the woods are better on the Gibson but by reading the spec sheets many of the epiphones use the same woods, the main diferance noted in the spec sheet are the Pickups.

Gibson's tend to use more name brand pickups than the epiphones
Gibsons are made in the US.

Personally i believe the finish is a bit better, attention to detail, Personally I would not spend the extra money on a Gibson, i would buy one of the epiphones and if you fancy better pickups get the better pickups installed.

this thread is two years old next time look at dates
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Solid bodies: Gibsons have a bit better wood, workmanship and electronics. I own a Gibson '68 330 and a '52 LG-1 acoustic. I bought an Epi Les Paul instead of the same model and finish Gibson in the same shop because the Gibson was 4x the price. They played just the same though the Gibson did sound better through an amp with the exact same settings. I'm not a pro player so 4x for not even 2x the guitar?
I'm happy and play the Epi the most. Ten years after and, pardon the pun, I'm looking at a cherry red Epi 335 instead of a 6x the price Gibson. (I've seen good jazz players on stage with Epis. Talent matters more than pu's.)
Eftersom du skrev svenska kronor så antar jag att du är svensk

Den största skillnaden är elektroniken samt lackeringen. Trät brukar vara lite sämre på Epi, men inget ett normalt öra hör.

Hittar man en bra Epi så brukar de hålla samma klass som Gibson bortsätt från elektroniken, men den är ju bara att byta ut.
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
i think he decided a couple of years ago
your a bit late
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
i bought an Epiphone SG and people who have Gibsons SG says its no bigger diferens at all. only price and som design
For the people that say the wood is the same you are wrong. Just because they both use mahogany that doesnt mean it is the same grade. Most higher end Gibsons use book-matched wood. THe pickups in the Gibsons are American made, and are much higher quality. And only one person mentioned the all around craftsmanship of the guitar. People at Gibson take pride in the work they do. THe Epi's are built in China and the craftsmanship is bad in comparison. Does that make them 3000$ better, that is for you to decide
The nice thing about a Gibson is it'll never let you down.

Epiphones don't have the same guarentee.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
Gibsons are most defienetly worth the extra cost if you can afford it.
better material, better feel, better tone which means a better all around instrument and also the fact that a Gibson is a collectable instrument

There is nothing wrong with epiphone though. They have quality instruments and besides that, it is a division of Gibson as well. The choice is whether you can afford it
advantage of epiphone is you get exactly the same guitar as the gibson but made for a better price.

advantage of gibson is the same guitar made in the USA (like that makes it good???) and 10 times more expensive.

get the epiphone, you know it makes sense.
Thank you please.
look, im not gonna lie. when i walked into a gc one day, this dude handed me two les puals, with tape over the brand. played both both through a marshall. sounded exactly the same. took of the tape and was shocked to discover one was an epiphone. the other was gibson.

bottom line, with gibson, you pay for the name. get the gibson if you want, but the epi has no diffrence
Quote by oakn
Eftersom du skrev svenska kronor så antar jag att du är svensk

Den största skillnaden är elektroniken samt lackeringen. Trät brukar vara lite sämre på Epi, men inget ett normalt öra hör.

Hittar man en bra Epi så brukar de hålla samma klass som Gibson bortsätt från elektroniken, men den är ju bara att byta ut.

ja, jag tror at du har rätt

men jag tror han har bestemt sej, det var som 2 är sen

(meh, bad swedish, but im only half swedish so )
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by bmorse
look, im not gonna lie. when i walked into a gc one day, this dude handed me two les puals, with tape over the brand. played both both through a marshall. sounded exactly the same. took of the tape and was shocked to discover one was an epiphone. the other was gibson.

bottom line, with gibson, you pay for the name. get the gibson if you want, but the epi has no diffrence

What GC was that in? We did it several times recently here but with a Royal Crown cloth bag over the headstock so people couldn't see the shape because that is a dead give a way. here in my area and 90% of the people who played them couldn't tell and I think 50% of the ones who got it right just guessed right.

I love Gibson guitars but the Epis are getting that good you have a very hard time telling. Even it's getting hard for me to tell and I used to buy and collect them.

John
This thread was created like 3 years ago, why has it been resurrected?
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
This thread was created like 3 years ago, why has it been resurrected?

Just about 6 months ago, but...

There is definitely a difference in sound quality between a Gibson and an Epiphone.
Though the Gibson might not be worth the extra money; best to go to a guitar store and try both out and make your own judgement.

Here's a link to a Gibson vs. Epiphone blind test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSBOz2rwJs

There are more videos on YouTube pertaining to that subject as well.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by yellowsnow4free

There is definitely a difference in sound quality between a Gibson and an Epiphone.
Though the Gibson might not be worth the extra money; best to go to a guitar store and try both out and make your own judgement.

Here's a link to a Gibson vs. Epiphone blind test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSBOz2rwJs

There are more videos on YouTube pertaining to that subject as well.

Got it right. I can't believe how much better the Gibson is. I've never heard them side by side before.
Quote by yellowsnow4free

08-14-2006, 01:37 PM

look at the first post, nice link/avatar btw haha
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
For me, since i live in sweden, a Gibson guitar always cost about 4-5 times the price of a Epiphone witch is a HUGE price differens for a 18 year old guy like me.

And since i dont live in the US i dont get the "real" gibson price.
You can get a fine gibson in sweden for about 25 000 swedish kronor, witch is about 3800 $!!!!

IT'S UNAFFORDABLE FOR HUMANS

I say, go with the epiphone and swap the picups.
With Gibson you will get:
Real mahogany
electronics that don't crap out
Nitro finish
case
better hardware
a guitar that will look and sound better as you play it for 20 years
better pups
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Oct 31, 2010,
Quote by deadlydunc
advantage of epiphone is you get exactly the same guitar as the gibson but made for a better price.

advantage of gibson is the same guitar made in the USA (like that makes it good???) and 10 times more expensive.

get the epiphone, you know it makes sense.

this.
plus a pickup swap.

also, old thread is old.
Quote by heminder
this.
plus a pickup swap.

also, old thread is old.

Yep, reported for close
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.