So I've decided to build a guitar, now im not sure what kinda body i wanna go for yet, Les paul, strat, or something like an iceman but i decided against cutting the wood myself because even though i think i could cut the wood, i would probably screw it up while carving it or cutting the inside for the pickups, pots and capacitors. So I figure I would just buy the body and neck. Problem is some of these things can be pretty pricey. Some of the bodys alone are ranging from 300 - 500 dollars and the necks another 300 bucks. SO my question is. Should I just buy a cheap guitar with good wood, sand it down, take the neck off and go from there or should I just suck it up and buy the parts seperately? And if I should buy a cheap guitar, what kinda woods would you guys suggest that might have the best sustain for the cheapest prices? What kinda woods for a Les Paul and what kinda woods for something like a strat or an iceman. And what are the cheapest Les Pauls with carved top mahogany bodies are my best bet?

Thanks guys...
- Gibson Les Paul Studio, Wine Red w/ Gold Hardware
I could build you a body for less than Warmoth can, PM/IM me if you're interested.

"What kinda woods for a Les Paul and what kinda woods for something like a strat or an iceman."
Les Pauls usually have a 1-3/4" mahogany back with a 5/8" or 3/4" maple top. American strats are generally Alder, & Icemans are usually mahogany.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'