hey, im wondering if anyone here thinks it would be worth it to put emgs on an epi sg specil. ive had the guitar forever and dont want to sell it so im getting new tuning machines and pickups for it to try and make it better. im goin for the 85/60 combo btw.
What is your amp, EMGs are only good through a good tube amp.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Play a Goth SG II - it has EMG's. That should give you a ballpark idea of how it would sound. I'm not sure of the exact EMG combo it uses though.
i do have a crappy amp right now yes. a mg250dfx (dont slander me for it, it was a gift). but im gettin a dsl401 this xmas
Quote by caveman5150
i do have a crappy amp right now yes. a mg250dfx (dont slander me for it, it was a gift). but im gettin a dsl401 this xmas

The DSL will be great with EMGs, but are you sure about the 85/60 combo, I'm not saying it's bad, just do you know how it will sound? The 85 is a Bassy pup in the bridge.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
i know, i dont like a bright sound anyway.
My Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Les Paul Custom
Martin 000X1 (soon!)
Epi SG Special

My Gear:
Marshall DSL401
Marshall MG250DFX
Boss TU-2
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Digitech Grunge
Quote by caveman5150
i know, i dont like a bright sound anyway.

Well it seems you are all set then, congrats on the soon to be gotten pups and marshall.

EDIT: wait, i just checked the price on the marshall and its enough for a Peavey 5150/6505 combo. Not exactly a bright sounding amp and its great with EMGs. What music do you play?

EDIT 2x: I just saw the 5150 in your name, lol. The Peavey will do Van Halen well...since its his signature amp.
Last edited by Cone 21 at Aug 14, 2006,
i play more metallica like stuff but the sg isnt my primary guitar. i wanted it to play good low end rythm stuff as well as drop tuning songs. as for the peavey. ive got a nice tube one somewhere at one of my relatives houses. cant find it though
My Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Les Paul Custom
Martin 000X1 (soon!)
Epi SG Special

My Gear:
Marshall DSL401
Marshall MG250DFX
Boss TU-2
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Digitech Grunge
Go to a store and try it out, the Peavey does metal very well.l I myself have a 6505 + (same as a 5150 II) into a Marshall 1960 A cabinet for some more cut to my tone and I love it. Check EBAY if you want for one, there is almost always one on there. Remember, retube it wil a high gain set of tubes if you get it, will make your sound alot better. Its like good with stock tubes, then its GOOD with high gain tubes.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=39
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376795