How do you reduce the slapping noise made when playing bass by your picking fingers without reducing the compressor to where its not doing anything. I know hitting them lighter works and Im sure cuting some frequencies would be best but Im not aware of which ones to try? Also I noticed some live bands where you here the slapping noise really good, and it doesn't sound to bad, should I really be caring that much about it for live playing??

Quote by MeGaDeth2314
just stick something in the hole and wiggle it around until you feel something poking out then push it hard.

Quote by gallagher2006
I seriously cant begin to tell you how refreshing it is to get some briliiant help from this site for once!

Thats about me
uhm... what did you say? because i think you said, how do i reduce the slapping noise when i finger pick....
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
^slaping noise as in actualy hearing your fingers hit the strings I believe.
Beyond turning down the treble I do not know.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Slapping noise? There are two things I can interpret this as:

1. You play fingerstyle and it sounds like slap bass. Turn down your highs and mids a bit.
2. You have fret buzz. Adjust your action a little.
Dont try and cancel it out. If you do your bass will sound incredibly muddy. When playing on your own the slapping sound does sound bad but when playing in a band situation or live, its a godsend because you can hear yourself over everthing, The slapping as you call it , cuts through the mix.

In fact i enhance the sound by increasing my mids and treble, Steve harris of maiden and Geddy lee of rush both do this.

The sound is natural when playing with fingers. Alot of bass players DESIRE the sound. Its not a bad thing.

Of course if its genuine fretbuzz then that is a problem and you need your bass setup.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1