I will be getting my bass guitar (first) in a week or so and i was wondering if i should have lessons, as my mum and dad hav suggested i should.

Any tips or advice about having lessons?

thanx in advance
signature
Yes, if you can afford it. The teacher will share his/her hardships and experiences with you, so that you don't have to go through them to learn the lessons they did. And the theory you learn extremely helpful.

Just don't box yourself in and only practice what your teacher gives you to practice. Explore the instrument on your own and have fun with it. If you don't practice and teach yourself some things, you might get bored.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
yes i agree i meen tho some people can learn alot and feal comfortable with no lessons i thnk that if there affordable u should go for it--lalala

oe whateverup to u
ya lessons r a good idea and sometimes u find out some real cool stuff, like my bass teacher taught the guy from Shadows Fall when he was like 13
There are a million threads like this try searching before posting crap
If you love god, burn a church.- Jello Biafra

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth; I came not to send peace, but a sword. -- Jesus

The war on global warming will go full force in.. 3.. 2.. 1..
Send in the peguins!!
Lessons can be very helpful, but only with the right teacher. Make sure that you take lessons (and practice regularly and well) from a seasoned musician, not some dude from Guitar Center who happens to be able to play bass. You'll usually tell if the teacher knows what he or she is doing when they emphasise learning theory along with fretting and fingerstyle technique.

Also practice.

Its been the catch-all advice for getting better, and continues to be.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Lessons are great if you have a good teacher. My teacher made it a lot easier for me to understand theory than it did when i tried using the internet. And with his help I am hoping to make it into Jazz band.

So I say go for it.

P.S. Even with a teacher you should learn other stuff on your own and when you are havin trouble with those things you can ask for help if you need it.