Im a guitar noob. Basically, I bought the Ibanez RG350 bout a week ago (£300, like 500+ $$ I think), seemed decent enough. I just cannot get a good sound from it. I had a crappy 10w amp first of all.Got it switched today and got the Spider II 30W amp which is a good bit better. The amp sounded great in the store on a guitar half the price of my Ibanez, but I get it home on my guitar and its just the same sh1t tone.

All im asking is a nice electric tone. All I get is something not much better than say if I just played it not plugged in, only louder and through the amp. If I switch the channels to distortion ect its really bad and almost unbearable. What the hell could be wrong? Am I missing something obvious??
Try changing your amp settings.

Take your guitar into a store and try it out on a better amp, and see if it still sounds like ****. Then get it fixed.

Maybe the amp you bought was faulty.

Maybe the guitar was faulty.
Sent from my iPad.
It could have something to do with the amp being where it is. If it is on the floor it can catch other signals and kill your tone. I personally just don't favor the line 6 amps, there sound is to digital or fake for me. You have to have a real nice guitar to make a line 6 sound decent. I would recomend a Fender Dyna Touch Deluxe 900 or Deluxe 1000. They have great sound at about the same u payed for the Line 6 through www.musiciansfriend.com. The have way more tonal possiblitlities than the line 6. Or if u are willing to spend the money u can get a 50w marshall tube for like $400 or something like that on musiciansfriend.com. I really recommend checking the site out. I myself never really liked the ibanez tone either. I play Fender everything and i do like the alot of higher priced gibson les pauls. Hope i helped
Last edited by fenderstrato91 at Aug 14, 2006,
Maybe go to the store you bought your gear at, and try out the same model guitar on the same model amp...if you get the same crappy tones, try different guitars/amps until you find a combination that works. A lot of guitar shops will let you trade in--I guess you did that with the amp.
If you're getting the same bad tones from both amps, it might be your guitar...some guitars are just lemons. Have the intonation checked...did you have it set up when you bought it?
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
The amps on the floor upstairs, ill try moving. As I said, the tone I get is just damn plain, like if the guitar wasn't plugged in and you started playing it. Only that same noise coming through the amp. The dude in the store used like a $200 guitar on the amp and he was getting that nice electric tone. If I put the distortion on its totally unbearable.

I can't really remember but I think when I bought the actual guitar they got a nice sound from it in the store. Ha....am I missing some secret turn on switch on the Ibanez? Hehe I sure hope so, that would be an easy fix.

Ok, the dude tuned it in the store. Im getting a tuner tommorow. If it was out of tune would that cause this dull ass sound?
Quote by Locomo

Ok, the dude tuned it in the store. Im getting a tuner tommorow. If it was out of tune would that cause this dull ass sound?

You don;t tune your guitar? You didn't know how to tune your guitar? That will be the main reason why it sounds like **** then.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Quote by LikeAStone
You don;t tune your guitar? You didn't know how to tune your guitar? That will be the main reason why it sounds like **** then.

Hehe, it wasn't long tuned, so I assumed it was still in. Even so, its the guitar seems kind of lifeless, thats whats bothering me. The tone without distortion is very dull. If I turn distortion on its totally insane, like RRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!. Even at low settings.
try switching pickups with the selector? fiddle around with the knobs on your guitar? Experiment with different eq settings on your amp.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Anyhow, the switch on the guitar doesn't seem to do much at all, alters the tone but by very little. Im thinking I may just have the wrong pick-ups. I love Metal and I understand the Ibanez RG is a metal guitar, but for learning i'd rather just have a smoother sound. Anyone else have an similar RG? What does it play like?
Hmm, I'm not sure what the problem is but try this:
Turn up all the volume and tone on the guitar
Set your amp to this setting
Gain - 4
Treble - 8
Mid - 2
Bass - 6
Reverb - 7
and play in neck setting
Hope it helps
Sublime Rules!
You cant play normal chords through distortion, only ocataves, fifths and fourths. Power chords will be your friend with distortion
If your guitar isnt tuned, i suggest that you forget everything and tune it properly. I couldnt stress this more. If you want guides to tune a floyd rose i'll help ya, just be patient and dont crack yourself.

I wouldnt say the guitar has any problem or the amp. Its most likely that your setup isnt that good. You said you're a guitar noob, then probably you dont know how to set your amps and whatnot (no offence). 1st thing you do is try to play it cleanly, not thru distortion or thru anything. Roll your Bass - 5, Mid - 2, Treble - 7, strum a chord, or pluck a note or whatever.

Did it sound ok? If it does, then try the gain channel next. Switch on the LEAD channel or GAIN or similar, then roll the gain to 4-5, strum a chord, issit ok? Now roll the gain to 7-max, now strike a POWER chord. If all the steps doesnt make any changes, then try taking both your guitar and your amp to the shop and test both with another guitar/amp, or just ask the tech whats wrong with it.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i wish people would stop getting guitars with floyd on them wihtout knowing why they work the way they do and what a pain they are. Only someone who knows what they are good for, and has a general idea of how to tune it and intonate it, should get something with a floyd. I personally dont think anyone just starting out should get a floating tremelo.

But I guess I did, i just didnt know better...but anywayz

Yea, if its used, or new, you might wanna take it into a shop and get it intonated. Intonating is a pain, and can take a LONG time on a floating tremelo if you are reading instructions on how to do it. (check the official floyd rose site for more info)

Once you have a professional intonate it, and he should set your action, and make your tremelo parallel to the body, it wont need to be intonated again, or have the spring tension re-set to make it parallel to the body unless you change the guage of your strings.

But also remember, that since it works by tension, when you tune it the more tension you put in one string, the less the others get, because the tremelo moves a little towards you decreasing the tension of the other strings, so dont be surprised when you get a tuner, and after you go through all the strings, they are all flat again.

Also remember strings stretch, so they will go flat quickly, you must give them time to stretch out.
Quote by Maj_Tom
You cant play normal chords through distortion, only ocataves, fifths and fourths.

What?!

Since when can "normal" chords not be played through distortion. You need some more learnin' my friend, for you are a retard.

EDIT: Secondly, why does everyone keep telling him to put the bass and treble so high, while cutting the mid? Maybe his sound is hollow becuase of you horrible people telling this less experienced fellow guitarist to cut out his midrange.

Don't listen to them, Mids should be at least on par with your bass and treble, it is the highest setting on my amps usually.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Last edited by Dudage at Aug 14, 2006,
Quote by Dudage
What?!

Since when can "normal" chords not be played through distortion. You need some more learnin' my friend, for you are a retard.

Excuse me? You're telling me if I switch to my lead channel, turn my gain to ten, or put my distortion pedal on, a full G chord wont sound like a monkeys ass playing a trumpet?

Dudage are you confusing overdrive with distortion. And btw, the Line Six Spider is advertised as "More Distortion Than Any Normal Person Should Have" or something. So unless he is a noob with an incredably light touch, any open, jazz, barre chords or anything other than power chords is going to suck. I would hate to hear your playing.

EDIT: "and" and "or" mix up
Last edited by Maj_Tom at Aug 14, 2006,
Quote by Maj_Tom
Excuse me? You're telling me if I switch to my lead channel, turn my gain to ten, or put my distortion pedal on, a full G chord wont sound like a monkeys ass playing a trumpet?

Dudage are you confusing overdrive with distortion. And btw, the Line Six Spider is advertised as "More Distortion Than Any Normal Person Should Have" or something. So unless he is a noob with an incredably light touch, any open, jazz, barre chords or anything other than power chords is going to suck. I would hate to hear your playing.

EDIT: "and" and "or" mix up

I agree with you. Chords sound like shit with distortion. They sound good with a decent overdrive pedal though
Ya dudage needs to learn what he is talking about or ask questions before he flips his lid like a jackass.
What do you guys think of the Epiphone Les Paul Standard? I listened to a few of these on Youtube and they give a pretty sweet tone, more what im looking for. I could maybe bring the guitar back and pay the £30 extra to get it.....thats if they go for it.
I would rather a new amp than a new guitar.

Something along the lines of an SS Randall seems good for you.

What settings have you tried so far?

What kind of style/setting are you going for?