So I've got a really old guitar, and I posted a while back asking how to sand it or something like that. Well, I've finally gotten around to starting my project, so I'm going to be chronicling it on here, for anyone who wants to see it, and for people to help me out since it's my first time. Here's some pictures of the guitar.

After Sanding the body

I'm going to sand the neck next.

Any colour recommendations?
Transparent blue
Got METAL?

Quote by metacarpi
However, if we're being all grown up about this (in the pit?) walkingonspikes is dead on
Is that PLYWOOD

But seriously, where do the pickups go?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
What the hell kind of guitar is that? Is it electric or what, since there is no sound hole I would assume electric but theres no pickup routes, so what is it? But the mahogony has a decent look to it, so maybe you could do some kind of trans finish to it. I dont know what to suggest since I dont know what it is.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
What the hell kind of guitar is that? Is it electric or what, since there is no sound hole I would assume electric but theres no pickup routes, so what is it? But the mahogony has a decent look to it, so maybe you could do some kind of trans finish to it. I dont know what to suggest since I dont know what it is.

I think it's a Teisco, or at least that's the closest I can get to identifying it.
Here's a picture of the way I got it. The electronics were all broken inside, and the pickup is crap too, so I need new electronics.

And here is a picture of Teisco I found which looks similar.

I've found pics of basses which also look like mine, so it might be a bass modded to be a standard guitar.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Ive confirmed with my old self (used to be mad on guitars like these) that its Alder for definite, and has a pickup route
Last edited by old_toad at Aug 14, 2006,
Well old toad you seem to be off by it too. It seems to me that if it was produced from 56 to 82 its not too rare of a guitar. Just because they havent made them in 24 years dont mean its "extremely rare" as you put it. The picture of the body he has dont have a pickup route in it unless Fender in the 50's pioneered a wire sized pickup to fit under that harmonica of a pickup that picture shows. And the classic Fenders that your talking about actually have a route for the pickup, I've actually seen the musicmaster before. His doesnt, so I dont see where you arguement holds any validity.
Lol sorry about that, its been a while since iv'e looked at japanese guitars, i jumped to a conclusion, i didn't see the marks the pickguard left. As for the pickup routing, it may of been a japanese musicmaster copy, possibly a Greco, could even be jamaican made.
I'll have a look at these sites i used to visit.
What pickup do you think I should put on it? I'm just looking for a nice warm, jazzy tone or something like that.
And I dont think its plywood, because if you look closely at the pics of the stripped body it is a 3 piece body. It may be basswood, but its definatley NOT plywood.
Sorry about all my odd posts, its definetly mahogany, no doubt about that its mahogany, as for the manufacturer, good luck, theres a lot of what it could be: harmony, rectum (no joke), Eko, Greco, Jay'vne, Egmond, Hagstrom ect...
you should route holes for a couple of humbuckers.... it looks like a nice body, specially because of that pickguard wich is nice....

for the buckers.... Id try GFS retroton hot nashvilles or liverpools.... but its up to you

EDIT: trans blue could be nice if you had a mirror pickguard.... otherwise I'd go black with white pickguard and chrome/white hardware or white with black hardware....

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Quote by UniverseZero
you should route holes for a couple of humbuckers.... it looks like a nice body, specially because of that pickguard wich is nice....

for the buckers.... Id try GFS retroton hot nashvilles or liverpools.... but its up to you

EDIT: trans blue could be nice if you had a mirror pickguard.... otherwise I'd go black with white pickguard and chrome/white hardware or white with black hardware....

Problem with routing holes is that I'll need a new bridge and all that, at least I think I would, and I'm not sure if I can pull is off. Also the way the original bridge is so high, would I need to get a new one so the pickups would work? They would be almost 3/4 of an inch away from the strings.

Also, my pickguard is pretty much useless, and I don't know how I'll find a way to replace it.
That looks kind of like a Silvertone to me. Godamn, there are some nice looking Silvertones out there.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
If the strings sit 3/4 of an inch off the pick ups then your going to get a pretty weak sound out of it, no matter what kind of pickups you use. I would recomend getting a new bridge that sits a little lower. But it may also be in your best to route for some humbuckers. It would probably be best in the long run cause finding exact pick ups like the ones it cam with may be a bit of a problem and cost you more then you want to pay. But you could route for 2 humbuckers and put in those GFS Retrotron or whatever they are, because they sound pretty nice in a vintage way. But I think that would probably be your best way to go.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
If the strings sit 3/4 of an inch off the pick ups then your going to get a pretty weak sound out of it, no matter what kind of pickups you use. I would recomend getting a new bridge that sits a little lower. But it may also be in your best to route for some humbuckers. It would probably be best in the long run cause finding exact pick ups like the ones it cam with may be a bit of a problem and cost you more then you want to pay. But you could route for 2 humbuckers and put in those GFS Retrotron or whatever they are, because they sound pretty nice in a vintage way. But I think that would probably be your best way to go.

Yeah, the original pick up's had a piece of sponge underneath, I'm not sure if you can see it, holding the pickup higher than it normally would be. I'd love to have two humbuckers and every thing, but I'm still wondering how I'll cover it all with a pickguard.
you would have to change the bridge any ways as LuthierofTexas said, and routing doesn't have anything to do with the bridge actually.... but the question for the routing would be... how thick is your guitar? and if you will install the humbuckers you should change all the electronics to kill 2 birds in one shot...

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
Quote by UniverseZero
you would have to change the bridge any ways as LuthierofTexas said, and routing doesn't have anything to do with the bridge actually.... but the question for the routing would be... how thick is your guitar? and if you will install the humbuckers you should change all the electronics to kill 2 birds in one shot...

I'm only concerned with having to have the bridge high enough for the neck, which is pretty high up compared to where the pickups would go if they were actually routed into the guitar. I would have to make the neck thinner at the connecting point I guess.
why? its nice. although its either very old or VERY weirdly routed.....

btw, you could use the routing channel to install a pup selector (gibson style) up there....

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
I think the LP style pickup selector would be a cool idea if you could lay a piece of wood over the top to cap it off. That would probably help with bridge height too too maintain proper string height without fret buzz. But you could use a Tune O Matic bridge so you could adjust the bridge height easier. Basically all the hard work is already done on it. You would just have to get the routing done and make sure the pickup routes are perfectly centered so the pole pieces line up with the strings. Then setting the scale length with the new bridge. You will have alot of work to do if you want this guitar to be brought up to date and still be playable. Im sure Ive left some little things out, but if you need anyhelp I'm usually on here at night and somtimes in the day when Im not working. If you need any help or get stuck just ask me or PM me and I'll try to help you the best i can.