First of all, i just started fooling around with bass a bout a week or two ago. I can only play the song juicebox by the strokes but with a pick. my fingerstyle sucks!!

So anyway i was at the music shop yesterday buying some strings for my brothers old bass(it only had 3) and i started talking to this guy there that was really good at bass. I told him i was just starting out and he told me i needed to learn perfect technique before i learn any songs. He described perfect technique as resting your thumb on the pickup and always starti playing with your middle finger. He also said when changing strings low to high to alternate fingers and high to low to keep using the same finger.

He also taught a couple little practice exercizes to help me develop this technique.

So will learning this so called perfect technique be the only thing i should work on for now? Is it really gonna pay off that much?
Last edited by kyle1528 at Aug 14, 2006,
What i would suggest is to practise this for say 5 minutes before you do something you enjoy, this way you can pick it up and learn songs u will enjoy!
you need to have a decent grasp of how to do good technique, i would personally recommend practicing it while learning new songs so you can see how to apply it to different things. it will take a while before you get perfect technique so i would recommend learning some songs you want to learn in the meantime to keep yourself happy as no one wants to JUST spend their first 2 years perfecting the basics of technique.
I say get that guy for a teacher lol.I play guitar,but i just finished a lesson and it's well worth it.The thing about a teacher is he can answer u these questions,
basicly what i have been doing is using the practice techniques on simple little riffs. Im probably gonna get some more complicated riffs soon and work on that. Then ill have to re lean juicebox using fingerstyle.
Quote by Mattga
I say get that guy for a teacher lol.I play guitar,but i just finished a lesson and it's well worth it.The thing about a teacher is he can answer u these questions,

yeah he doesnt really teach private lessons or anything. he was like a 60 year old black guy. ill talk to him again if i see him back up at the shop.
Take everything slow and steady. Nobody cares if you can play 200 sloppy notes per second. Every little thing that you start learning put your heart into it, from advanced slapping to simple chromatics. And never do bass as a chore, never forget you started playing it because it's fun